Philly 123

Free Member
Jul 23, 2015
scotland
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
Good morning, I am a newbie to this, so bear with me lol Last year I took my redundancy to enable me to do more wildlife photography for a few of this years 'summer' months,... then swap over to portrait photography for the winter months... what is the saying? The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray???
I bought my Berlingo in August, put a deposit on a boot conversion, (which I picked up in April) and bought a Khyam drive away awning, I upgraded some photography equipment and was SO excited about hitting the road..... instead in September I hit the deck... literally and smashed my ankle, ( well it was ONE step) resulting in a 6 inch plate 12 screws and 26 stitches.... and I am still suffering, so haven't been able to use ANY of it and cant see me being able to in the future, BUT as I am a determined wee devil, I am now looking for something bigger like a motorhome, 2 or 4 berth as there is just me & my GSD :) Any advice for what to go for would be appreciated, ( I wont be 'fit' enough till next year, so that is when I will be looking to sell my berling

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello :welc:

The only advice I can offer is to go and see as many MH's as you can. As you're not looking to change till next year you've got plenty of time to visit a few dealers. Ask as many questions as you like, someone will know the answer (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Philly 123

Philly 123

Free Member
Jul 23, 2015
scotland
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
I will do, as you say I have plenty of time, which is why I am starting now comparing makes/models/fuel consumption etc.. There are not too many dealers in Scotland, any that I like the look of are all down south... and I mean south! But I just may pay a visit to family in Southampton and take it from there :)

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Hi Philly,
As other have said go and see as many models as possible. The mistake that most people make with their first motorhome is to fail to work out which interior layout suits them best. We're all different so there is no 'right' layout that anyone can tell you about - you have to decide for yourself! One of the big differences is whether you want or do not want a fixed bed - the benefits of not having to make up the bed every night versus the loss of space for daytime use.

By the way, be prepared for your ankle to take longer to heal than you expect - mine did!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi from Devon
animated-gif-emoticons.jpg

OP
OP
Philly 123

Philly 123

Free Member
Jul 23, 2015
scotland
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
Hi Philly,
As other have said go and see as many models as possible. The mistake that most people make with their first motorhome is to fail to work out which interior layout suits them best. We're all different so there is no 'right' layout that anyone can tell you about - you have to decide for yourself! One of the big differences is whether you want or do not want a fixed bed - the benefits of not having to make up the bed every night versus the loss of space for daytime use.

By the way, be prepared for your ankle to take longer to heal than you expect - mine did!

I will Bill, it's already been almost 10 months since it happened :( BUT I will get there!!! I don't want a fixed bed, as my GSD would take up residence on it lol Phyllis

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Hi Philly from Bedfordshire.
Please start out by deciding how you want to use a motorhome. A place for longish term living, a weekender or touring for periods from home base. The amount of storage space may be relevent. How sociable are you? Some vans have space for six, seven or more people while diner layouts are more restricted for space.
We last set out with priorities like.... it must have a full size fridge freezer, a large enough shower space to pick up a dropped sponge (really) and a social area large enough for at least four visitors. Having owned motorhomes for a long time, it also had to have a fixed bed, for if I am tired or enjoyed a 1/2 pint, making a bed is not my idea of pleasure.
Armed with some idea of what you want, go to the largest Motorhome Show you can find, then begin looking for layouts and prices to suit your needs. Tip... British vans tend to be less expensive and in some cases, for a reason.:lipssealed:

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
pass your hgv and get the big rig,lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.