LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Hi hubby looking at a scooter but I fancy a Piaggio MP3
So who's got one ? Who thinks there better than a small cc scooter ?
What about a trailer to put one on
Also I'm thinking I would drive one home from the pub rather than a scooter !
Been on a scooter once don't really want to repeat that experience
Pro's and Cons please
Many thanks !
Sandra

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Sandra, I just purchased a brand new Piaggio mp3 300 yourban. The reason I bought it is my good lady child bride cook and housekeeper never felt safe on the scooter. Plus I drive it on a car license. I have just sold my old 125 on ebay and driving it to the local dealer for MOT felt bloody unsafe compared to the new one.

Of course you have half as many tyres again in contact with the road and 150% brake calipers too, plus no need to put your feet down at junctions, plus of course the handbrake, useful when loading as it stands up all on it's own in fact I'm well pleased with mine. Encantador also has one but he has the large 500cc which was too big for my garage.

I looked at tail lifts but at 250 kg it is really too heavy and would reduce my payload to almost zero on it's own.

Broken Link Removed

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I can see your point about the scooters feeling unsafe, we just sold our 125cc as it felt very unsafe and with 2 of us it struggled to get above 45mph. This 3 wheel concept does appeal but would need to test drive one as always had the 2 wheel variety. I have replaced our scooter with a larger 300cc one which is a lot bigger and sturdier (larger wheels, disk breaks all round etc). Be interesting to see how these handle though. Trailer would need to be big enough to take both wheels but i am sure there will be plenty to choose from

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

99.9% of the risks on a scooter are there on these new trikes. That 0.1% is little chance of a front end slide which is quite rare.

The trikes are bigger and heavier.

The point is, don't for a second take the attitude "It's got three wheels I'm safe".

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
don't for a second take the attitude "It's got three wheels I'm safe".

I totally agree Brian, the feeling safer bit I believe comes from the larger wheels and the extra performance of the larger engine, especially two up.

I have found one or two peeps who think that as it has three wheels then it is the same as a trike where you just sit on it and steer round corners; not so, you lean just the same as any other bike, but it is heavy and getting the timing right with the suspension brake so as to not need to put your feet down takes some getting used to.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Popeye,

What height is your garage? I've been looking for something (anything) bigger than 125cc to fit in mine. I'm limited to 1180cm height but can take up to 350kg, so at least weight is not a problem. Top of my list at the moment is a Honda NC750S but I'd rather have a scooter with move luggage space.

Surprisingly both my sportsbike's fit but my wife wants a pillion seat lager than a mobile phone :)

Allan

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Several years ago I was invited to a Piaggio trade day for the launch of the MP3
Guy told everyone to try and fall off !!

Basically it was in to a bend ( wet as as a wet thing ) and pull it on its ear as far as we could
A few bottled it but several of us really went for it.
Yup, the front end would sometimes slide out in a forced understeer but no way was it possible to loose it so bad the bike would fall

Only thing to watch for is in very patchy conditions
It is easy to control even when the front end is sliding but god forbid it suddenly grips !!!!
Massive high side ensues which is a collar bone breaker !!

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Hi Sandra, I just purchased a brand new Piaggio mp3 300 yourban. The reason I bought it is my good lady child bride cook and housekeeper never felt safe on the scooter. Plus I drive it on a car license. I have just sold my old 125 on ebay and driving it to the local dealer for MOT felt bloody unsafe compared to the new one.

Broken Link Removed

@Popeye Many thanks for your info.
Hubby would also be using it on his car licence and its me that wants one as I'm not convinced I have lost my confidence as well !
What MH do you have as we didn't think it would fit in a garage !!

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Several years ago I was invited to a Piaggio trade day for the launch of the MP3
Guy told everyone to try and fall off !!

Basically it was in to a bend ( wet as as a wet thing ) and pull it on its ear as far as we could
A few bottled it but several of us really went for it.
Yup, the front end would sometimes slide out in a forced understeer but no way was it possible to loose it so bad the bike would fall

Only thing to watch for is in very patchy conditions
It is easy to control even when the front end is sliding but god forbid it suddenly grips !!!!
Massive high side ensues which is a collar bone breaker !!

Interesting ! Many thanks

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Also I'm thinking I would drive one home from the pub rather than a scooter !

Not quite sure what you mean, it is a scooter, rides like a scooter just has more front end grip.

Some people seem to think you ride them like a quad bike and it can't fall over.

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Not quite sure what you mean, it is a scooter, rides like a scooter just has more front end grip.

Some people seem to think you ride them like a quad bike and it can't fall over.

So it rides just like a 2 wheeled scooter then ?
If so might need to count it out then :(

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
It does. Below about 3mph you can flick a switch to lock the front wheels, but if you don't and don't put your feet down it will fall over. As soon as you accelerate the front wheels unlock automatically so it banks over like a normal scooter.

Put Piaggio MP3 into YouTube.

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
I would like one myself but I don't think you yo can ride a 125 MP3 on a car licence only the bigger MP3 LT model.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I would like one myself but I don't think you yo can ride a 125 MP3 on a car licence only the bigger MP3 LT model.

You are quite correct, the 125 can't be ridden on a car license only the larger 300 or 500 (also the old 250 and 400 which are still available elsewhere in Europe).

What height is your garage? I've been looking for something (anything) bigger than 125cc to fit in mine. I'm limited to 1180cm height but can take up to 350kg

My Frankia Platin Plus Garage is 1250 mm in fact it only fits into the two Carthago models with the twin single rear beds as they are also 1250mm. I reckon it would go into 1200 mm but nothing less (mirrors and screen removed). Your Carthago would take the width with ease and space to spare but it is tight on the length and the height.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Popeye, Thanks. My Carthago is a 149 C-Tourer which has the twin single rear beds but with only 1180cm height garage. I would need to let the mp3's front tyres down :D

Allan

Mar 2, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Lowline coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
Hi, we've got a Piaggio LT500, previously had a Piaggio Beverly 350, both purely to take on a trailer behind our motorhome. I always felt safe as the pilion of the Beverly but my hubby wanted something more stable when carrying a passenger and the MP3 doesn't disappoint. Basically, previously he had to hold the Beverly for me to get on and then continue to hold it safe whilst he also got on. With the MP3, the bike is 'locked' and I climb up with it rock solid on its own. It is also much more solid riding along, also very roomy and comfy for both riders, yet still 'corners' like a 2-wheeler.

Re the trailer, we have a side-loading trailer, made by the excellent Phil of CMF Trailers in Ross-on-Wye. He makes every trailer himself so will customise yours as you want, ours is made for an MP3. The advantages of a side-loading trailer of course are that a) the total outfit is that much smaller, therefore more chance of fitting on a pitch (or aire, especially the latter), and b) ferries are cheaper!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Popeye,

What height is your garage? I've been looking for something (anything) bigger than 125cc to fit in mine. I'm limited to 1180cm height but can take up to 350kg, so at least weight is not a problem. Top of my list at the moment is a Honda NC750S but I'd rather have a scooter with move luggage space.

Surprisingly both my sportsbike's fit but my wife wants a pillion seat lager than a mobile phone :)

Allan

Ive got 1180mm as well, NB Arto

The largest scooter I could get to fit was a Aprilia sport city 300, but I do have to remove the mirror and the little screen thing ( which originally came with 6 screws and I just use 2 for ease of removal)

Its good for a scooter - reasonable power with 16 inch wheels, telescopic forks and 3 discs but it aint a motorbike

The MP3's are very heavy, surely has to dull performance a little.

Jon

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Popeye, Thanks. My Carthago is a 149 C-Tourer which has the twin single rear beds but with only 1180cm height garage. I would need to let the mp3's front tyres down :D

Allan

Sorry Allan, the one I was about to buy was the chic e-line I 51 linerclass, the yachting also has 1200mm. You really should try this mp3 in yours, will you be going to Malvern?

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
The MP3's are very heavy, surely has to dull performance a little.

Jon

Am sure it does. Mine is about 240kg with fuel, but will cruise at 80mph two up and leaves most things well behind at traffic lights if I want it too, so plenty for me.

There are a couple of mods you can do to improve the acceleration, but best wait till out of guarantee.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Duplicate

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
1220mm on our Dethleffs

We have a Aprilia Sportscity 300 same as Jon but we can get it in without removing the screen but we do have to remove the mirrors, very light for a 300cc scooter at 148 kg plenty of power 2 up and great fun.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
The main difference with the MP3 is that you can ride and carry a passenger on a car licence. And at about £1000 I believe to obtain a MC license, is a good option for those that don't already have one.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I've got a 500LT Business on order plus a Hydratrail trailer. Should get the MP3 next week all being well. The trailer not long after.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I write as a total novice when it comes to motor cycles but here's something in relation to motor cycles and licensing.
My son who is 36yrs old currently lives in New Zealand and has done so for eight years. He has not passed any kind of test on motor cycles.
He has a car licence and, as a result of his current job had several occasions where his licence (which has been converted from a Full UK Licence to NZ) has had to be amended to show now competent in HGV's and the like.

On his last visit to the Licensing dept. he noticed the anomaly that allows him, as a car licence holder to drive/ ride three wheeled motor cycles such as the Piaggio. He made a 'cheeky application for his licence to show motor cycles in general and the authorities allowed it!!!
He is now licensed to ride Blackbirds (sorry, only 'hairy' bike I know) and, should he return to the UK the DVLA would do a straight transfer to a Full UK licence showing him as competent WITHOUT SO MUCH AS A LESSON to ride any bike he wants.
Now, that is scary.

Nov 12, 2022
London, UK
Funster No
MH
Own an MP3
I have owned an MP3 300, 400 and currently a 500. I travel around London daily with ease but once I discovered that the 400 comfortably 'ate' motorways and long distance I sold my car. I regularly road home (to Liverpool) and even went camping several times fully loaded and long distance. Not long after upgrading to the 500ie sports tourer I had a tow bar fitted and bought a trailer and since then I have often ridden North to visit family and towed with all my camping gear in the trailer on many occasions. The 500 tows with such ease I have to keep checking the mirrors to make sure it's still there. So to my question...is anyone aware of anyone who tows a teardrop trailer with an MP3 in Britain. I'm contemplating getting one as a camping upgrade and feel sure I could tow one but I am looking for confirmation without going to a dealer and asking to try.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I have owned an MP3 300, 400 and currently a 500. I travel around London daily with ease but once I discovered that the 400 comfortably 'ate' motorways and long distance I sold my car. I regularly road home (to Liverpool) and even went camping several times fully loaded and long distance. Not long after upgrading to the 500ie sports tourer I had a tow bar fitted and bought a trailer and since then I have often ridden North to visit family and towed with all my camping gear in the trailer on many occasions. The 500 tows with such ease I have to keep checking the mirrors to make sure it's still there. So to my question...is anyone aware of anyone who tows a teardrop trailer with an MP3 in Britain. I'm contemplating getting one as a camping upgrade and feel sure I could tow one but I am looking for confirmation without going to a dealer and asking to try.
No idea sorry, there are lots of gold wings with trailers that seem to be teardrop, bound to be a goldwing OC - bobnick ?

Ps might be better starting a new thread, this one is 7 years old.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
See classified for a suitable trailer for sale!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back