Anyone been to Greece recently? (1 Viewer)

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
We're off to Greece for a couple of months, leaving mid August for a leisurely drive down through France into Italy and ferry from Ancona. Expect to be in Greece at the start of September. Given their recent and ongoing problems, has anyone been there and had any problems getting fuel or food or medicine, or experienced any other shortages or problems?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
personally would wait for dust to settle...but if your booked your booked!

If intent on going travel health insurance would be an idea....

OP
OP
M

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I know, I know. But it's already booked. Probably really bad timing but when you gotta go.....We've been holding our breath the last few weeks because if they had crashed out of the Euro we would have had to cancel and take the loss. Riots, no fuel or food and general xenophobia would surely have followed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
the press/news media like to make it wose ten it really is on the ground and accentuate the negative ( while the Tories can carry on dismantling society)

have a look at some of the earlier Greek related threads as there are funsters there and reporting that on the ground not as bad as it looks in news..who can tell! but as banks now open far less to worry about. Just bring plenty of euro's

ask on the other Greek threads and someone there may report back...:)

OP
OP
M

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Woops. My bad. Didn't realise there was a Greek thread. Thanks for that.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hello Movinon.
We got back from Greece at the end of last month after 3 months.
We got out just before the finances went pop, but as for shortages, there were none in the sort of things we consume. Lidle was our main shop of choice and was as full as normal.
Other shops in villages always had bread, eggs, milk etc etc, so you won't starve.
I don't know how the Euro is doing at the mo, but just take plenty with you and you will be fine. (although they do say restrictions DONT apply to tourists) The ferry crossing from Ancona to Igoumenitsa/Patras is on an ex cruise ship and a lot better than our cross channel ferries and you plug in and sleep in your van with a pass key to get in and out of the rest of the ships facilities.
The Greek people are what MADE our holiday, they are warm,generous and extremely laid back, but we stuck mainly to the coast of the Peloponnese and small villages NOT big cities.
(We did go inland to visit important unmissable places)
If you want any more info then PM me and I'll give you my phone number for a chat.
Mitch.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Hello Movinon.
We got back from Greece at the end of last month after 3 months.
We got out just before the finances went pop, but as for shortages, there were none in the sort of things we consume. Lidle was our main shop of choice and was as full as normal.
Other shops in villages always had bread, eggs, milk etc etc, so you won't starve.
I don't know how the Euro is doing at the mo, but just take plenty with you and you will be fine. (although they do say restrictions DONT apply to tourists) The ferry crossing from Ancona to Igoumenitsa/Patras is on an ex cruise ship and a lot better than our cross channel ferries and you plug in and sleep in your van with a pass key to get in and out of the rest of the ships facilities.
The Greek people are what MADE our holiday, they are warm,generous and extremely laid back, but we stuck mainly to the coast of the Peloponnese and small villages NOT big cities.
(We did go inland to visit important unmissable places)
If you want any more info then PM me and I'll give you my phone number for a chat.
Mitch.

I agree totally, we have been many times and love the Greek people, they are always warm and friendly, and remember repeat visits, we will support them any way we can by holidaying over there.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
My wife's cousin and her husband live on boat and it is currently moored in Greece.
They have just come over to the UK to collect their MH and see a few people before heading off to Sweden and Denmark area to see more people.
They report that there is no problem as far as they can see anywhere except Athens where the protests take place.
No shortages of anything (they are Lidl shoppers) except cash from the banks, which are now open again.
They are happy enough to leave their boat moored there in a marina, and it is their only home.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
We arrived in Greece in mid June....Camping on board the ferry from Bari to Igoumenitsa and are now at Navarino Bay in the South West Peloponnese...we travelled here via Lefkada and Kefalonia.

I can honestly say that apart from fewer German and Greek people on the campsite there is no difference to last year.
There are no shortages of any of the things we buy , the ATM's work fine ( no restrictions for non Greek cards) , no probs getting diesel and the general atmosphere is as friendly and relaxed as ever.

We are carrying more cash than usual in case the situation changes and have all the medication we are likely to need but that is surely only common sense.

From what we hear from new arrivals and from people who have recently left the ferries are running normally and are busy with apparently normal amounts of freight moving to and fro.

It seems that in the short to medium term at least that the financial difficulties Greece faces have eased a bit ....I'd relax and look forward to your trip if I was you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Thank you all for your input. I'm not expecting any problems now that the Greek can is being kicked down the road yet again. I wouldn't personally be that worried anyway, the commitment having already been made financially, but I have to answer to a higher power and she expects me to provide solutions to all possible problems!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Stand up to her like a man !! (then tell her everything she wants to know)
:). Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back