Solar On A Burstner T660 (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I will be collecting a new T660 in a few weeks and will be fitting a 140W solar panel. I have been told it is fitted with an Electroblok EBL99 unit. Has anyone fitted solar to one of these and do I need a proprietary regulator? Reading on the A&N website it seems that I do. The solar installation on my existing van uses a Tracer along with a battery to battery charge regulator (CB2?).

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I would check directly with Schaudt - Udo Lang is your man. A&N seem to be extremely knowledgeable, but I picked up some information from their website, which was contradicted by my dealer. I checked with Schaudt, and the dealer was correct. Possibly the A&N website was out of date, but for whatever reason, Udo saved me a shed load of cash. Email Udo - perfect English, and replies very quickly.
Udo.Lang@schaudt-gmbh.de

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for that feedback. I'll email him over the weekend. I've heard the Elektroblok units doing odd things if the incorrect regulator is used. So best get things right first time. It's nice to hear of a manufacturer actually answering email let alone giving good and relevant advice!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We also have T660 and have thought of doing the same. I look forward to seeing how you get on, even where you fit them on the roof.
Do you think 140W is the optimum size?
Keep us up to date.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We also have T660 and have thought of doing the same. I look forward to seeing how you get on, even where you fit them on the roof.
Do you think 140W is the optimum size?
Keep us up to date.
Optimum size depends on how much power you use (so need to replace). Our t625 has a 85Ah battery and 80W panel wired direct into the Electroblok as mentioned. It copes fine with our demands. See http://www.gjh.me.uk/mhnotes.htm#power

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Where a Schaudt Elektroblock is fitted it is wise to use Schaudt's own regulator. It used to be the LR 1218 (12 volt 18 amp) which is a PWM unit but Schaudt have recently brought out an MPPT version (LRM 1218). We have both in stock.

D.

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Where a Schaudt Elektroblock is fitted it is wise to use Schaudt's own regulator. It used to be the LR 1218 (12 volt 18 amp) which is a PWM unit but Schaudt have recently brought out an MPPT version (LRM 1218). We have both in stock.

D.
That's what I fitted to my T620, works fine and a piece of cake to fit..
Keith..

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
So an LRM1218 it is then! Now just have to make sure the dealer puts the cables through the roof in the right place. I'm having them fit the cables (and only the cables) as that will ensure the habitation warranty will remain intact. The T660 lockers don't go to the roof so the only place to invisibly drop the cables is in the wardrobe. A longer run but I'll get them to use 6mm2 cabling.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Good advice from Dave N (as always). One of the advantages of using the Schaudt regulator is that it will charge the starter battery as well as the leisure battery(ies). I have the older LR1218/EBL99 set-up and it works very well. One thing you might consider is fitting a large fuse in the +ve line between the panel and the regulator. This is not a necessity, but if the LRM1218 is not easy to access once fitted, it makes the task of disconnecting the feed to the regulator much easier than fishing about in a tight corner to pull out the connector. The +ve feed MUST be disconnected before the regulator if you are disconnecting the leisure battery for any reason (but you probably know this anyway).

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I fitted fuses in all lines to and from the regulator in my current MH. A bit OTT but there will be one in the +ve line from the panel in the new van. I found a surprising amount of volts drop across each fuse so will only put them where needed this time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back