Changing to New top for my work top and tables (1 Viewer)

smartie59

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Peterlee
Funster No
MH
a class old mod
Exp
not long
Hi all,
I am working on changing the formica on the worktops and tables,and bought a sheet of Formica to recover them.It cost £91.00 so I would like to get it right first time.I have use formica about 20 years ago and the thickness of the sheet is now only 0.8mm thick .Any help or tips in the area of cutting and bonding would be great, and could I sand off the tops of the old formica and bond straight on top.
Thanks to all reades
Rod

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi all,
I am working on changing the formica on the worktops and tables,and bought a sheet of Formica to recover them.It cost £91.00 so I would like to get it right first time.I have use formica about 20 years ago and the thickness of the sheet is now only 0.8mm thick .Any help or tips in the area of cutting and bonding would be great, and could I sand off the tops of the old formica and bond straight on top.
Thanks to all reades
Rod

Make sure the surface is sound repair any holes etc sand with a fine grit paper to remove the surface gloss
Use a sabre saw with a fine-tooth blade to cut the laminate 3/8-inch to 1/2-inch larger than the pattern.
Apply contact adhesive to the back of the Formica and to the surface you're covering.
Set the laminate sheet in place. Use a roller to apply pressure to the top of the sheet to ensure a good bond and allow to set.
Use a router equipped with a laminate cutting bit to trim the Formica's edges flush with the surface.
Remove sharp edges and rough spots with a fine flat file.

Open a can of beer and admire your work::bigsmile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
''Changing to New top for my work top and tables''

No need to dress up, do it in your shirtsleeves:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good luck.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi may I add to Sinbads bit.You will need contact adhesive,after applying to both side --top of old and under the new :ROFLMAO:--when it is touch dry lay a good few 1/4 inch lats on the surface,lay the new Formica on manoeuvre into position then pull the lats out one at a time once you are happy with the position :thumb: Do not try to do it without the lats :Eeek: they are very helpful :thumb::thumb:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi yes, say 1/4 ins by 1 or 2 ins wide lay them on the old w/top and put your new Formica on top,this allows you to move it until you are happy :thumb: once in position slide the lats out one at a time.Make sure it is in position as you will not get a second chance :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Formica

Terry is perfectly correct (I was a joiner) and that is way we used contact adhesive on Formica, you must keep the two surfaces apart make sure you are in the correct position then start removing the laths or dowel (not to quickly), a hard rubber roller (about 3" to 4") is what you want (you will find one on Ebay) to make sure you do not get any air bubbles,,,work from the centre out (if the roller has any metal parts on the side put gaffer tape on to cover so it can not scratch the formica just in case!!! and you will find it makes life a lot easier.
A pleasant peasant born in Yorkshire now living in France...Mel

OP
OP
smartie59

smartie59

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Peterlee
Funster No
MH
a class old mod
Exp
not long
Thanks all, what was best glue and cutting tools to us for best result?Sinbad 1 said a sabre saw not sure about that.How about a anglegrinder with cutting blade,Melvin Hughes?
Rod.
Ps we love france been going for 28 years now .

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Thanks all, what was best glue and cutting tools to us for best result?Sinbad 1 said a sabre saw not sure about that.How about a anglegrinder with cutting blade,Melvin Hughes?
Rod.
Ps we love france been going for 28 years now .

It has to be a fine tooth blade , if you use a small angle grinder the slightest twist and you could fracture the formica, it would work ;but you need to take care.

An instant bond such as evostick would be fine for this job.

Regards

ps you could try a cutting tool which works by repeatedly scoring a line, you would need a straight edge clamped in position for this

Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
It has to be a fine tooth blade , if you use a small angle grinder the slightest twist and you could fracture the formica, it would work ;but you need to take care.

An instant bond such as evostick would be fine for this job.

Regards

ps you could try a cutting tool which works by repeatedly scoring a line, you would need a straight edge clamped in position for this

Link Removed

All what Sindad 1 is saying is correct...Angle grinder NO you could make one big mistake...EVOSTICK..is a good old regular been on the go/market for years you will not go far wrong with this contact glue...scoring if you use this method I would use two pieces of wood one clamped top and bottom or clamp one on the top and a table top below...be careful as Formica is brittle and could chip when you snap it off and not give a clean face...we used a dovetail saw it is a very fine tiny tooth rigid back saw (or a gentleman’s saw) we had in our kit/tool bag do not try to rush the cutting process nice steady strokes...not chopping strokes with the saw(sabre tooth saw I can not comment sorry) a very fine saw teeth is needed a good hacksaw blade fitted into a handle grip would work but don't put to much pressure as it could snap and mark the Formica ..use a fine flat file to clean face, again not to much pressure with the file nice steady strokes (but have the formica supported)...... all the information you are getting from Terry and Sindab 1 is sound........the idea is not to use quick methods like angle grinders !!!! ....my opinion is if you have got FOMICA brand (it will be stamped on the back) you have got the best on the market there many laminates on the market people call Formica, and many contact glues ...all good.....keep off electric tools unless you know what you are doing...router is good BUT you must be careful and know what you are doing and clamp the formica....if I was you keep off electric tools and do not rush and do it with hand tools but always have the formic supported as it could snap off or pieces get broken off...you will be fine just be careful
From a very pleasant peasant born Yorkshire man now living in France .......MEL

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Formica

What I had forgotten to say, is never cut to exact size always just slightly over size and trim, it just gives you that bit to play with if you don't stick the first contact in the right place, once on no going back......file ...or hard block with a good sand paper to trim...100! maybe but 140 200 grit better all depends on what you have to clean off by hand not a electric sander!!!!.
From a pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France..Mel

Last edited:

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi Mel you may be missing an oppotunity, living in France, knowledge of how to replace Formica !

Me thinks there could be a nice little business.:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Mel you may be missing an oppotunity, living in France, knowledge of how to replace Formica !

Me thinks there could be a nice little business.:thumb:

Thank you for that kind thought, but I am at the end of my working life at 61+ and there are lots of good qualified craftsmen at 40+ and with what is happening with the world crisis this year they could do with the work and money, so I think for us retired and tired old buggers it is best for us to keep our noses dry, the roads busy and the Aires and campsites full.
From a pleasant peasant born Yorkshire man now living in France...Mel

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Cutting formica is easy use a broken hacksaw blade and a straight edge scrape rather than cut using the non serated edge, or if you really want to spend money stanley knives also have a formica cutting blade available, works on the same principle of scraping. You can plane the edges with a 45 deg edge trimer or use a router and flush trimmer.
dowl is best for holdin both parts apart as it has minimal contact. start from the middle of a panel and work outwards removing the dowels as you go.dor the edges first and trim then add the top and trim to 45 deg that way the edges are well covered.
Have fun.

OP
OP
smartie59

smartie59

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Peterlee
Funster No
MH
a class old mod
Exp
not long
Hi Mel,
Hear hear to that I am giving it all up next year(I hope)at 61 as we plan to sell the house an buy smaller .
This motor home was the tester to find out which lay out would be for us. I got the mh end2007 but have done to it more than I wanted. built new steel frame bed in the dinnet area new foam and covers, new mattress in the drop down bed. and the trim out side then the engine t/belt sevice ect. and new tables and worktops. sorry got carried away.
All the info taken onboard and plan to use all the tips you passed on.I am mating a rubber wheel from a laminating roller as they are £ 18.00 on ebay. will get saw,glue and dowling at weekend.
Rod. Ps may see you in France one day!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
smartie59

smartie59

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Peterlee
Funster No
MH
a class old mod
Exp
not long
Forgot to say that The 10 ft, sheet is from the fromica factory up here in the NE england.
Rod

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Mel,
Hear hear to that I am giving it all up next year(I hope)at 61 as we plan to sell the house an buy smaller .
This motor home was the tester to find out which lay out would be for us. I got the mh end2007 but have done to it more than I wanted. built new steel frame bed in the dinnet area new foam and covers, new mattress in the drop down bed. and the trim out side then the engine t/belt sevice ect. and new tables and worktops. sorry got carried away.
All the info taken onboard and plan to use all the tips you passed on.I am mating a rubber wheel from a laminating roller as they are £ 18.00 on ebay. will get saw,glue and dowling at weekend.
Rod. Ps may see you in France one day!!!!!!!!

yes fine ...........I was looking on ebay and these might have done the job they are ink rollers....250403032124....380099150674....350192641407.....120274978373.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back