Mar 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
overcab
Exp
2 years
Hi,

Can anyone help we are desperate....blocked regulator in Compass motorhome. We have had our motorhome for three years but consider ourselves new to motorhoming. We have had to cancel one holiday and return early from two because of a blocked gas supply in the van. We are now on our third regulator and have read up on the problem....but nothing seems to stop the regulator getting blocked after the use of one cylinder of gas.
Has anyone with the same problem managed to fix it. We are now considering fitting the stainless steal gaslow pigtail has anyone else done this and did it work? We purchased the van from Highbridge some 200 miles from Cornwall where we live but had the new regulators fitted locally being assured that the problem would not happen again but it now has. Van registered in 2004. We are considering driving the 400 mile round trip to Highbridge where the van was purchased...they seem to think they can solve the problem..
Any advice before we do this would very much be appreciated...I tried to speak to the Explorer Group who manufactured the van for tech help but their Customer Service Department refused me any help whatsoever telling me to get the dealer to phone...they will only speak through the dealer...beware if you buy privately. Sorry to be so long winded. Will be grateful for any help.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

A picture would be helpful, but I'm guessing your regulator is below the top of the bottle, if so, the LPG 'light ends' , as they are called, will run into the regulator carrying dirt from the pigtail.

A s/s pigtail may help but the only permanent solution is to remount the regulator above the outlet of the bottle.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

I agree with Jim, a friend of ours had to remount the regulator, and also put in a s/s pigtail compleatly cured the problem. It must be for at least 2 years now.:thumb:

Best of luck

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

Liz14

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
overcab
Exp
2 years
Hi

I agree with Jim, a friend of ours had to remount the regulator, and also put in a s/s pigtail compleatly cured the problem. It must be for at least 2 years now.:thumb:

Best of luck

Dave

Thanks to both of you for replying did you mean a photo of me or photo of regulator!!!
The housing for the gas cylinders does not leave room for the regulator to be raised but the last regulator was fitted so that it was just slightly above the cylinder top and any residue from the pigtail should not have run back into the regulator but it is now blocked again...will try fitting s/s pigtail and hope this works. The problem as I understand was because the regulators were fitted below the cylinders but 100's of vans were fitted this way.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks to both of you for replying did you mean a photo of me or photo of regulator!!!
The housing for the gas cylinders does not leave room for the regulator to be raised but the last regulator was fitted so that it was just slightly above the cylinder top and any residue from the pigtail should not have run back into the regulator but it is now blocked again...will try fitting s/s pigtail and hope this works. The problem as I understand was because the regulators were fitted below the cylinders but 100's of vans were fitted this way.

A pic of both might be nice ::bigsmile:

I'm sure there are hundreds fitted that way.. and most if not all will have problems..
Stating the obvious here but the issue only started when they introduced bulk head regulators and a lot of gas lockers don't have adequate head room, it was never an problem with the old bottle regulators .. :Sad:

Fitting the s/s pigtail should help but try not to have any low points that can collect liquids as the gas may push it up to the regulator..

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We had a simular problem with our Compass 115 new in Dec 2006 , but our problem was the gas leaking from the small breather hole in the regulator and as with you we had to get the dealer to sort it with Explorer luckily sorted under warranty , but took 8 weeks : our regulator is fixed to the gas locker bulkhead above the level of the gas bottles , it seems to be a good idea to carry a spare regulator just in case .

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
If you can't raise the reg is it not possible to fit 6Kg bottles which will be lower, unless you already have 6Kg

OP
OP
L

Liz14

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
overcab
Exp
2 years
If you can't raise the reg is it not possible to fit 6Kg bottles which will be lower, unless you already have 6Kg

Many thanks aleady using 6kg bottles..........there must be someone out there who had this problem and solved it.:cry:

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Lizz14
Is it possible that your rubber gas pigtail is causing the blockage due to breakdown by contamination.
Is it possible to replace and try out for a while to see if the problem clears up.

What type of gas are you using and have you used the same supplier for all or most of your gas bottles.

Did you replace your regulators with the same make type each time.

Regards Alf

Last edited:

metz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Funster No
Hi, I assume your dealer has fitted a GOK regulator ? these are a twin diaphram and the the problem accurs when oils get into the reg and sticks the diaphrams together, thus not allowing gas to pass thro, as this seems to be a recurring problem with your reg probably because it can't be fitted high enough, i would suggest you get your dealer to fit a Cleese 30mb regulator to your vehicle, these are single diaphram, they have been fitted to Avondale Caravans since 2004, I have not seen or heard of this problem with these reg's.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Just had a second thought Gaslow are doing a regulator that they say they guarantee for 5 years, this may be of use to you see web

Gaslow - home

Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
L

Liz14

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
overcab
Exp
2 years
:cry:
Lizz14
Is it possible that your rubber gas pigtail is causing the blockage due to breakdown by contamination.
Is it possible to replace and try out for a while to see if the problem clears up.

What type of gas are you using and have you used the same supplier for all or most of your gas bottles.

Did you replace your regulators with the same make type each time.

Regards Alf

Hi Alf,

Thanks for reply. Hose and regulator has been changed four times after only one cylinder of gas used. Bottles purchased from diferent suppliers....We read that the problem is from the rubber hose..by products draining into the regulator but we thought we had solved this problem a new reg. was fitted with an extender just above the bottles.:cry::cry::RollEyes:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
duplicated post

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Liz14

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
overcab
Exp
2 years
Just had a second thought Gaslow are doing a regulator that they say they guarantee for 5 years, this may be of use to you see web

Gaslow - home

Dave:thumb:

Hi Dave,

Saw your post and had a look at the Gaslow website...we would love to think that simply by fitting a s/s pigtail this would solve the problem. We are planning a long trip to France/Spain never been abroad in the van yet. But can't until we solve the problem..

Liz

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Liz

I think that I would tend to change regulator as well they are a good company and with a guarantee at least you have some comeback. I think they must be sure of themselves.

Dave

OP
OP
L

Liz14

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
overcab
Exp
2 years
Hi Liz

I think that I would tend to change regulator as well they are a good company and with a guarantee at least you have some comeback. I think they must be sure of themselves.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for advice. :thumb:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Reading your problems, the only advice i would give is to get a qualified corgi registered gas fitter to check your system.

You can't be too carefull with gas:Eeek:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Not much help this.......but i've been camping for god knows how long, caravanning for about eight years and now 'campervaning'.....and never had this problem.

When i used to camp, any old regulator would do, whatever i could lay my hands on for a few pence. Often the more elaborate (expensive) the 'set up', the more to go wrong and inevitable malfunction.

Keep it simple, keep it cheap......and you can't go wrong.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back