rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
anyone out there that can tell me whats happening with gas pressures. I've always believed you need 37 mbar for propane or 28mbar for butane for your appliances to work at there best.
so whats going on with this fixed gas regulator fitted in my cheyenne that someone has deemed to be 30 mbar (too much for butane, and too little for propane) is this reg supposed to be ok for both gases or can i purchase one at 37 mbar ?
my fridge stopped working on gas last week .ok on electric, so i cleaned the jet etc.there was no sign of any dirt present, as idid it about a month ago. but now its working again...,great.... but i feel its not working as well as it should.which prompted me to check the gas.
so.. have the makers allowed for the 20% drop in propane pressure, or do you think it won't make any difference to my fridge? any comments.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
30mb is now a standard pressure for both propane and butane.
to change from one to the other you just need a pigtail to connect to the regulator.

Some German vans have 50mb regulators fitted.

Appliance jet size will dictate if it can run at 30mb

I dont think the pressure is to blame for your fridge fault but next time it happens turn on the hob and heating to see if they work.

OP
OP
rupert

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
thanks for the response ppj if i need a new jet how do i determine what size jet I've got. the jet thats in there lives at the end of the pipe as it enters the block that lets in the air (maybe called venturi) if you see what i mean. its like a very small war time tin hat with a wee hole in it haha... ps i did try the hob etc.for gas an all was well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Jet packaging should say "suitable for 30mb" or something like that.

To be honest the difference between 27mb and 30mb really wouldnt be noticeable as far as flame is concerned.

OP
OP
rupert

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm using propane. so should be 37mbar . am i right, if so thats about 20% drop in pressure. not insignificant

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm using propane. so should be 37mbar . am i right, if so thats about 20% drop in pressure. not insignificant
Not relevant either. I think you'll find the fridge manufacturer will tell you the same.

OP
OP
rupert

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you have a factory fitted 30mb regulator, usually bulkhead mounted, the appliances will have been jetted to suit 30mb.
of course that never occurred to me haha.should be.. i may check though with AT. because I'm thinking if the thermostat controls the flame.. less pressure = lower flame= higher temp in fridge

Last edited:
OP
OP
rupert

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i still bet it runs better/ colder on butane @ 30mb... anybody done any experiments on this ?
it could make fans obsolete......just maybe:unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back