Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi, just come back to my house in France had a few days away at Le-Touquet and one at Calais.....on Monday 20th April while we was parked at Calais port Digue G Berthe site overnight for one night, a English couple arrived in the evening and parked over night with two bicycles padlocked and chained and strapped to the rear of the motorhome in the morning just before they left to start their holiday only to find one of the bicycles had been removed (a brand new one bought for the males 60th birthday) this is just let you know to keep your eyes ears alert while at Calais ( you have most likely heard all this before about other people)..This person and his wife did not hear a sound through the night!!!! There are some lousy B….ds about, (instead of working to earn money to buy… they steal)
From a pleasant peasant born in Yorkshire now living France…….MEL

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
anyone carrying bikes on their motorhome could do worse than buy one of these locks.

Link Removed

can be used as a conventional padlock or an alarmed padlock....your choice.

i use a similar one for my genny, trailer and scooter with a 10mm steel wire rope threaded through the lot.
easy enough to use for chairs, table etc if theres a loop to put a chain/rope through.
usually set it off when disarming it though:Doh:
any interferance with the lock or rope will trigger it and its LOUD!

bloke sells 'em at a lot of the shows for a tenner.

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
It would be useful in the long run to use the "report a crime" section on the left hand menu
to record this unhappy event

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
I`m sorry but I am without sympathy, I /we would`nt even contemplate stopping at Calais itself to shop let alone sleep. Calais has some unsavoury, desperate, looking people hanging around (unkind but true) the approach roads are frequented by people trying to get to the UK by any means possible. Give it a miss and take the motorway straight out.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
I`m sorry but I am without sympathy, I /we would`nt even contemplate stopping at Calais itself to shop let alone sleep. Calais has some unsavoury, desperate, looking people hanging around (unkind but true) the approach roads are frequented by people trying to get to the UK by any means possible. Give it a miss and take the motorway straight out.

thats true :thumb:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Report crime

It would be useful in the long run to use the "report a crime" section on the left hand menu
to record this unhappy event

I DID ........tried about 15 times but it would not accept the code that I was supposed to type in "It said new number generated!!!! " BUT no number generated.....so I gave up a bad job
this is what I filled in below

First name*...............

Last Name*...............

Contact Email*..........

Type of Crime*..........

Exact Location* .........
Calais port Digue G Berthe site
What Happened ....
Hi, just come back to my house in France had a few days away at Le-Touquet and one at Calais.....on Monday 20th April while we was parked at Calais port Digue G Berthe site overnight for one night, a English couple arrived in the evening and parked over night with two bicycles padlocked and chained and strapped to the rear of the motorhome in the morning just before they left to start their holiday only to find one of the bicycles had been removed (a brand new one bought for the males 60th birthday) this is just let you know to keep your eyes ears alert while at Calais ..This person and his wife did not hear a sound through the night!!!!

Type the text from this image.
Number was
330240 ??????? It does not work or software has a problem

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Not parking at Calais

Warwick....you are most likely correct about parking at Calais.. BUT not everybody has your years of knowledge, as I look on motorhome fun daily and the amount of new members joining each week and buying a motorhome and do not know about parking at Calais, I myself only started last July and I live in France did not know about any problems at this site and I had just parked over night just to have a evening fishing off the pier (not any more will I go to this site) but if you see the amount of BRITS stopping there to rest before they board the ferry in the morning to return home or just stopping overnight before they start there holiday it unbelievable....so I put the theft on just to warn people to be on there guard.....and I am sorry but I do sympathise with that person the bicycle was brand new and it was a present for his 60th birthday.....or for any item stolen I do have sympathy for people, sorry.
From a pleasant peasant born in Yorkshire now living in France……Mel

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I DID ........tried about 15 times but it would not accept the code that I was supposed to type in "It said new number generated!!!! " BUT no number generated.....so I gave up a bad job
this is what I filled in below

Hi

Thanks for trying, I just tried it looks as though there is a problem, :Sad:

Will get Jim to have a look at it when he's available..

In the meantime I have entered the details on the map ..

Can you check the location ..I'm not sure where G berth is.. is this the large car park at the yacht basin in the centre of Calais where trucks park .. ?

Location map Motorhome Crimes Reported and High Risk Areas - Google Maps
Cheers

Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi

Thanks for trying, I just tried it looks as though there is a problem, :Sad:

Will get Jim to have a look at it when he's available..

In the meantime I have entered the details on the map ..

Can you check the location ..I'm not sure where G berth is.. is this the large car park at the yacht basin in the centre of Calais where trucks park .. ?

Location map Motorhome Crimes Reported and High Risk Areas - Google Maps
Cheers

Jim

Jim, the "G" stands for Gaston, I have just gone on My Garmin sat nav...(this is the road name) "Digue Gaston Berthe" no 102 .. 50'57.951' E001'50.520 to no 1... N50'58.014' E001'50.662 ....where the Jetee is the right hand side around that area is where the bicycle was stolen, if you go on your sat nav and get the same readings as mine also the same road name, please check as I don't normally use this side of the sat nav so not 100% please let me know, MEL
And if that is the lorry park you are on about then Yes

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim, the "G" stands for Gaston, I have just gone on My Garmin sat nav...(this is the road name) "Digue Gaston Berthe" no 102 .. 50'57.951' E001'50.520 to no 1... N50'58.014' E001'50.662 ....where the Jetee is the right hand side around that area is where the bicycle was stolen, if you go on your sat nav and get the same readings as mine also the same road name, please check as I don't normally use this side of the sat nav so not 100% please let me know, MEL
And if that is the lorry park you are on about then Yes

Hi Mel

found the road and adjusted the flag location .. it's close to the Aire on the sea front. :thumb:

It's a bit academic, I have always thought anywhere in Calais was high risk .. the carpark at the ferry terminal is probably the safest location if you need to stop overnight.. we have stayed there often with no problems..

Cheers

Jim

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Warwick....you are most likely correct about parking at Calais.. BUT not everybody has your years of knowledge,

I live in France did not know about any problems at this site and I had just parked over night just to have a evening fishing off the pier (not any more will I go to this site) but if you see the amount of BRITS stopping there to rest before they board the ferry in the morning to return home or just stopping overnight before they start there holiday it unbelievable...
Mel

Its not only in Calais.

My mate had both his bikes nicked off the rear carrier whilst shopping at Auchan Hypermarket in Dunkerque. Fortunately it occured returning from holiday rather than at the start. Naturally both bikes were fully insured and he got the full value back, but you'd be amazed at the number of people who buy expensive equipment, yet never bother to insure it.

I have no sympathy for dummies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Mel

found the road and adjusted the flag location .. it's close to the Aire on the sea front. :thumb:

It's a bit academic, I have always thought anywhere in Calais was high risk .. the carpark at the ferry terminal is probably the safest location if you need to stop overnight.. we have stayed there often with no problems..

Cheers

Jim

Jim....me, I just went to Calais for a few hours fishing on the pier or just at the side of the motorhome and stopped over night and having just had a complete hip replacement about two months ago I did not want to walk far, also I do not carry bikes on the back or inside the motorhome so the lorry park might have been just a little to far for me.....thanks all the same for the sound advice and about the lorry park....Mel

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Calais has some unsavoury, desperate, looking people hanging around (unkind but true) the approach roads are frequented by people trying to get to the UK by any means possible. Give it a miss and take the motorway straight out.
Dover has some pretty desperate looking people hanging around trying to get out!

I've parked overnight in Calais without any problem. A lot is down to a bit of plain common sense, ie, don't flaunt or 'advertise' wealth or what you have. If you need to carry bikes on the back, buy a couple of cheap ones which can easily be replaced, but still make sure they are covered on insurance.

If you must have an expensive bike......don't 'show it off' and don't whinge about paying full whack insurance.

Anyone who doesn't insure.....then they have got too much money and have no brain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back