Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
look and weep....

Broken Link Removed
Given up worrying about people gloating how little they pay for their fuel ( or indeed how much, but that isn't gloating.....) on the principle that we go where we are going and we pay whatever it takes to do that. Life is simply too short......... Always used to fill up in Calais on the way back from work trips to the continent, though...

When I working in Saudi Arabia, unbelievably I caught one of my staff fiddling his petrol receipts. For about 2 quid??? Some people......

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Given up worrying about people gloating how little they pay for their fuel ( or indeed how much, but that isn't gloating.....) on the principle that we go where we are going and we pay whatever it takes to do that. Life is simply too short......... Always used to fill up in Calais on the way back from work trips to the continent, though...

When I working in Saudi Arabia, unbelievably I caught one of my staff fiddling his petrol receipts. For about 2 quid??? Some people......

Did you behead him?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Fill it up, use and enjoy your trip, then fill it up again.. It is what it is I'm afraid. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
They say that diesel is more expensive to refine ,that is why it is more expensive than petrol. How come in, in Europe it is cheaper in every other Country

Is it inferior diesel or just another rip off Britain lark?

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
They say that diesel is more expensive to refine ,that is why it is more expensive than petrol. How come in, in Europe it is cheaper in every other Country

They who say "diesel is more expensive to refine" would appear to be contradicted by
http://www.globalpetrolprices.com/articles/4/ which says "Diesel fuel is heavier and less volatile than gasoline, which makes it simpler to refine from crude oil. As a result, diesel tends to be cheaper than gasoline in most countries around the world"

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

They who say "diesel is more expensive to refine" would appear to be contradicted by
http://www.globalpetrolprices.com/articles/4/ which says "Diesel fuel is heavier and less volatile than gasoline, which makes it simpler to refine from crude oil. As a result, diesel tends to be cheaper than gasoline in most countries around the world"

My favourite subject...... Fuel quality used to be my job. Diesel is cheaper to refine as it is mostly a straight distillation product, but it gets more complicated when the crude oil is cracked to produce more light ends etc. some fuels such as Shell VPower are synthetic Gas to liquid fuel.

The really expensive bit is removing the sulphur to achieve EU and other standards, where in Africa and a lot of Asia, they couldn't really care......

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I think it's uk tax that puts the price up. They said we should all be driving diesels because they were clean so we all did, but then hang on that's far too cheap. Put the price up and make us more money. Oh no, now they are dirty nasty things after all, put the price of fuel up to make them buy petrol cars. :mad:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think it's uk tax that puts the price up. They said we should all be driving diesels because they were clean so we all did, but then hang on that's far too cheap. Put the price up and make us more money. Oh no, now they are dirty nasty things after all, put the price of fuel up to make them buy petrol cars. :mad:
Yes, that is why diesel price is on a current parity with gasoline (without other costs). Mainland Europe, the diesel attracts a lower tax rate

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Saw diesel today for £1.29 a litre in Oxford, almost across the road from a garage selling it for £1.19. I hope the penny drops for why they don't shift much of the stuff."....

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Stainsbugs and Morrisons in notloB are selling fuel @ 112.9 and 114.9. Never got down to the predicted 100p a litre though.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It may yet happen......

Crude oil and traded products are priced in USD; the pound has steadied at about 1.56+/- after the previous high (which helped to cause the last price drop)

Then we have declining demand as previously stated - due to slow down in Asia (the Chinese bubble is bursting) but this has been combined with increasing supply, due to Iranian sanctions being lifted and also the increasing level of shale oil extraction and surplus oil stocks in USA which makes USA pretty well self sufficient but also kills any price arbitrage between Rotterdam traded market and USA.

It is a combination of events and some can be illustrated below.....

image.jpg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Saw diesel today for £1.29 a litre in Oxford, almost across the road from a garage selling it for £1.19. I hope the penny drops for why they don't shift much of the stuff."....

But they don't have to sell much to make the same profit. BUSBY:):):).

radioray

Free Member
Feb 20, 2014
Lydney
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004
We are in the Pyrenees. Diesel is 97.5 euros A litre over the border in Andorra about 5k away its 0.87 euro per litre. Also the beer in Spain is half the price of France and as for spirits less than half price!
Makes one feel better!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back