Big Moan (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Why oh why do articulated lorries pull out of lay-bys without looking? now I have Emma I'm doing a lot more driving. Also the A14 has had 3 two lorry crashes in the last 3 days closing the road each time. OK moan over.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Understand what your saying but its not just HGV drivers we have had buses vans and cars pull out on us ..........its just bad driving.

Paul

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Why oh why do articulated lorries pull out of lay-bys without looking?
The ones that have pulled out on me have always been LHD.........Polish or whatever.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The opposite happens to me, pulling out and on motorways. I give good indication of my intention, only move when I can see that the middle lane hogger has an empty outside lane to pull into and pass if he needs to. Yet the amount of those hoggers that rather than check mirror and change lane, brake, flash and moan. Scary really that there are so many of them sleep driving.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I had a car and caravan pull out in front of the vehicle in front of me last year on the A1 in South yorkshire last year. How he didn't cause a major pile up I will never know.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Indy259
Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
When I see them pulling out I do move over to the next lane, however quite often that is full and I would cause problems.

Reactions: Jim
Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Playing Devils Advocate, have you ever driven a fully laden artic, or other large vehicle? I don't subscribe to the "foreign drivers" school of thought, they have exactly the same problems as Brits, but it takes time to get 35 tonnes up to 50mph and inevitably on the UK crowded roads trying to fit into an available space can lead to this sort of problem, especially when you see how close some people drive to the vehicle in front (I know, I know, if you don't some idiot will pull in front of you!)

Having driven all over the country in large vehicles, the A14 does seem to be a particularly busy road, much of it only two lane so statistically you could expect to see more incidents.

The solution? There ain't one; just try to be a considerate driver and anticipate (many drivers don't seem to understand that word).

(I'll go and get me tin helmet now:eek::eek::eek:)

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
From what I know of the A14 its nearly always busy. I would imagine if lorry drivers waited till the road was clear before pulling out they would be waiting all day. Because of this they wait till there is at least some gap then out they go, relying on approaching drivers to slow down or change lanes.

When we are travelling on this road in the MH my wife often wants to stop to get a coffee at Starbucks in the services between the A11 turn offs. Really tricky sometimes to get back on to the A14 because of the heavy traffic and short slip road. I can see why lorry drivers have a problem sometimes.

Paul

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We pulled into a lay by on that road for a child comfort break. Rejoining It was at least five minutes before we had a gap big enough to accelerate flat out in 1,2 and 3 to get back into the traffic. There were several times we could have gone and tried to force the hgv in lane 1 out into lane 2, but I had no idea what was close behind them in lane 2, so waited for the gap where I could see. That road reminds me of the A580 before the M62 was built, very dangerous, drive with extreme care.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Indy259
Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Playing Devils Advocate, have you ever driven a fully laden artic, or other large vehicle? I don't subscribe to the "foreign drivers" school of thought, they have exactly the same problems as Brits, but it takes time to get 35 tonnes up to 50mph and inevitably on the UK crowded roads trying to fit into an available space can lead to this sort of problem, especially when you see how close some people drive to the vehicle in front (I know, I know, if you don't some idiot will pull in front of you!)

Having driven all over the country in large vehicles, the A14 does seem to be a particularly busy road, much of it only two lane so statistically you could expect to see more incidents.

The solution? There ain't one; just try to be a considerate driver and anticipate (many drivers don't seem to understand that word).

(I'll go and get me tin helmet now:eek::eek::eek:)
Don't worry I'm not violent, I agree up to a point they are heavy and it takes time to gain any speed.

Upvote 0

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
remember,,,,,, we are driving for fun,,
they are driving to make a living.
thats why brakes were invented, so you dont hit them.
and the a14 i remember it well, was a hgv recovery driver on it for a long time, you try to pull out with a 44 ton artic on suspended tow.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The opposite happens to me, pulling out and on motorways. I give good indication of my intention, only move when I can see that the middle lane hogger has an empty outside lane to pull into and pass if he needs to. Yet the amount of those hoggers that rather than check mirror and change lane, they brake, flash and moan. Scary really that there are so many of them sleep driving.
One of my biggest gripes while driving........even worse is being a passenger with my ex driving when she does just that then shouts when I bring her attention to it.......:(

Upvote 0

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i hate middle lane hoggers, but a quick toot with the horn, when you are about 2 inch from there back bumper and you should see them move,

Upvote 0

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
not my fault if they dont move,lol
and im bigger than them so rules of the road
if bigger than you ,,MOVE

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
This morning a humungous HGV passed me on a roundabout and went through three sets of red lights. He obviously didn't notice that it was controlled by lights at every exit. Cars were swerving all over the place to avoid him. I was a tad shocked. Everyone loses concentration sometimes but a wee lapse of concentration can be a much worse disaster when it involves 37 tons.

Upvote 0
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Why oh why do articulated lorries pull out of lay-bys without looking? now I have Emma I'm doing a lot more driving. Also the A14 has had 3 two lorry crashes in the last 3 days closing the road each time. OK moan over.
Why?
Because he can !...
And he's bigger than you !
So there !.... put that in your pipe & smoke it !

But agreed, got cut up this week too by a similar driver.....

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
This morning a humungous HGV passed me on a roundabout and went through three sets of red lights. He obviously didn't notice that it was controlled by lights at every exit. Cars were swerving all over the place to avoid him. I was a tad shocked. Everyone loses concentration sometimes but a wee lapse of concentration can be a much worse disaster when it involves 37 tons.

Hope someone took his number and reported it. Although it was more likely a foreigner, half asleep through "long hours".

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's not just HGVs. Many drivers of smaller vehicles don't have a clue of how to merge from a slip road into moving traffic and expect the traffic that has right of way to make way for them no matter what.

I do move over / slow down / flash in when it is possible but as you know it isn't always an option.

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hope someone took his number and reported it. Although it was more likely a foreigner, half asleep through "long hours".
All happened too fast so didn't even see the plate. It was a plain white truck so no company to complain to. Don't think I would go so far as to say it was a foreigner though ... :(

Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have to pull out of a layby on that rotten road. it is almost impossible to get out with out annoying some one. even had a police car that would not move over into a empty lane. and got a finger waving at me. but I got out.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I don't subscribe to the "foreign drivers" school of thought
Why not? Any LHD vehicle with dodgy mirrors has big problems pulling out of a layby, or even worse problems coming out of an angled junction, even with great mirrors.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Indy259
Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Jonkil, I agree, the one good thing is I've got really quick reactions, now:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
as already covered above, a lot of drivers just do not seem to anticipate or look ahead, not quoting the example in the OP as I wasn't there, but have often seen lorries pull over to allow a vehicle to more easily / safely leave a layby on a dual carriageway / motorway for the following cars not to notice either the lorry moving over or the one pulling out

as a colleague used to say 'eyes wide shut', scary

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back