Help... Wlan link keeps 'dropping' ! (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Anyone internet gurus know why my wireless link keeps 'dropping' ?

I'm using a Hawking dish usb wlan adapter, have spoken to Hawking but with no solution.. worst customer support I've come across..

50% Signal, 90% Link quality .

We are connected to the site wifi so have no access to the router .. sometimes it works for hours without dropping, other times it drops every few minutes .. :Sad:
Rebooting the adapter reconnects it ...

My thoughts are that it drops when inactive.. ie, browsing a page or writing a post.. I've Googled but can't find a definitive answer.. :Sad:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Anyone internet gurus know why my wireless link keeps 'dropping' ?

I'm using a Hawking dish usb wlan adapter, have spoken to Hawking but with no solution.. worst customer support I've come across..

50% Signal, 90% Link quality .

We are connected to the site wifi so have no access to the router .. sometimes it works for hours without dropping, other times it drops every few minutes .. :Sad:
Rebooting the adapter reconnects it ...

My thoughts are that it drops when inactive.. ie, browsing a page or writing a post.. I've Googled but can't find a definitive answer.. :Sad:

You should be ok with 50% signal ad 90% link quality, don't think you have an issue with the Hawkings dish.

Could be lots of things some tings to look at

There are lots of reasons why wifi connections drops. (suspect interference) you would need access to the router to change channels though

firmware on the router may need updating again you would need access to the router.

could also be the routers settings ?

For your end of things

Is the dropping of connection a recent problem? if so you could try a system restore back to when it was working ok.

Make sure there's a tick in internet options/connections to never dial a connection

What is the make of your wireless adaptor? could be you need the latest driver.

You could uninstall the adaptor in the device manager, reboot and let windows reinstall

mobile phones /microwaves etc can also effect your wifi

Regards

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You should be ok with 50% signal ad 90% link quality, don't think you have an issue with the Hawkings dish.

Could be lots of things some tings to look at

There are lots of reasons why wifi connections drops. (suspect interference) you would need access to the router to change channels though

firmware on the router may need updating again you would need access to the router.

could also be the routers settings ?

For your end of things

Is the dropping of connection a recent problem? if so you could try a system restore back to when it was working ok.

Make sure there's a tick in internet options/connections to never dial a connection

You could uninstall the adaptor in the device manager, reboot and let windows reinstall

mobile phones /microwaves etc can also effect your wifi

Regards

Thanks .. this is on the Mac

could be interference, it comes and goes, sometimes ok for hours

As I understood, The Hawking is the wireless adaptor .. the Airport Extreme card is switched off . I might have a word with the owner and get him to change channels .. seems worse during the day ..

Cheers

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Thanks .. this is on the Mac

could be interference, it comes and goes, sometimes ok for hours

As I understood, The Hawking is the wireless adaptor .. the Airport Extreme card is switched off . I might have a word with the owner and get him to change channels .. seems worse during the day ..

Cheers

jim

Its not uncommon for new units to have their driver out of date, you would need to check with the site for the latest.

Sounds like it is intergerence from other wireless stations though.

Could even be an ISP problem

Sorry no experience of Mac

Regards

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

i had the same proplem a while ago Jim,

i kept loosing the connection on my inbuilt wifi adaptor. (Lappy)

went to the expense of a new router/modem but no difference.

downloaded the updated drivers for the inbuilt wifi adaptor and original router and off we go.
took a while to get used to the updated user console but no more dropped connections:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

downloaded the updated drivers for the inbuilt wifi adaptor and original router and off we go.

Hi John

It's a brand new Hawking with the latest driver..

I've had quite a lot of problems with it, the software is at best 'buggy' on the Mac, 26 emails to Hawking tech. support have failed to resolve it..
First of all they said it wasn't compatible with OX 10.5 Leopard so I downgraded the OS to 10.4 Tiger, still no better, they finally admitted it's not as good as it should be .. but dropping the link is a fairly recent occurrence, only in the past few days.
Going to see the site owner about changing the channel.. might help..

cheers

Jim

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Jim

It may not be your setup thats at fault, sometimes your settings may change thats why i said you could perhaps restore your pc to an earlier time ;but having said that you may not have this option on Mac.

Don't forget that your connection is dependant on the wifi signals transmitted by a router, most of these problems are usually found there, could be the routers firmware /channel settings/other router settings. If the SNR is high then this could cause drop outs.It makes it difficult to resolve this issue as you don't have access to the router configuration.

I had a simular problem with a router it would loose signal every now and again and then reconnect, updated the firmware and was then fine.(my partner who uses a wifi dongle used to curse me when this happened)

My point is Jim if the router is loosing its signal so will you.

it a difficult one to pin down, could be your end or a router problem ;but something has changed, since it did work, could be just a matter of changing the wifi channel?

Regards

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
it a difficult one to pin down, could be your end or a router problem ;but something has changed, since it did work, could be just a matter of changing the wifi channel?

Hi

I think I may have it resolved, I spoke to the owner but he wasn't sure what to do so with his permission I changed the router's ch .. It seems fine now.. just have to wait and see if it's a permanent fix..

thanks for advice

Jim

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi

I think I may have it resolved, I spoke to the owner but he wasn't sure what to do so with his permission I changed the router's ch .. It seems fine now.. just have to wait and see if it's a permanent fix..

thanks for advice

Jim

Fingers crossed:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back