Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi all

I need some :help: Have booked the RV in for MOT being the island we are a bit limited with garages I showed him my registration certificate and on the Revenue Weight it reads 3501 KG Gross he told me that it means gross loaded and now I am unsure if that is right as on my VIN plate it reads GVW 6715 KGS looking through the paperwork that the previous owner gave me there were weight tickets which read as follows.
Rear 3360 kg
Front 2080 kg
Whole 5480
Is there a mistake on the Registration Cert can anyone advise please.
Thanks for any info.
TY :Smile:

Uncle-Steve

Free Member
Jan 24, 2008
Funster No
Hi all

I need some :help: Have booked the RV in for MOT being the island we are a bit limited with garages I showed him my registration certificate and on the Revenue Weight it reads 3501 KG Gross he told me that it means gross loaded and now I am unsure if that is right as on my VIN plate it reads GVW 6715 KGS looking through the paperwork that the previous owner gave me there were weight tickets which read as follows.
Rear 3360 kg
Front 2080 kg
Whole 5480
Is there a mistake on the Registration Cert can anyone advise please.
Thanks for any info.
TY :Smile:

You should find a VIN plate under the bonnet somewhere, which will have the weights stamped on it. If they are different to the registration document, its usually easy enough to get it changed by taking the vehicle to a taxation office for them to look at it. Sometimes they're happy enough to have the MoT certificate as evidence of the miss-match.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Link Removed

try the above link for an indepth understanding of weights,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Weight!

Hi there, I also live on the I of W and we met over Easter - I am off the crutches now and recovering well - Hil sends here love. Your VIN plate shows the Maximum Loaded (Gross) weight of your vehicle and when the previous owner had it weighed it was 5440 Kg. It was probably partially loaded and so all this tells you is that there was 2275 Kg more that it could carry before it was overloaded. The rules state that motorhomes are a specific MoT case. Under 3500kg maximum weight a motorhome is treated just like a car and first MoT tested three years from first registration, and every year thereafter. Vehicles over 3500kg normally come into a different category and have to be tested after one year from new, but motorhomes are specifically excluded from this requirement and are tested at the same point as a car – after three years. This has sometimes led to drivers being wrongly told that they will be prosecuted. It is helpful to remember that not all traffic policemen have total knowledge of the law, so if this happens, be polite and explain… Some MoT stations also get confused and have suggested that a large motorhome is in a different MoT testing class. It is not, but sometimes the normal Class IV testing station may not be large enough inside to test the vehicle, so it may have to be done somewhere else. Even so, the fee should still be the same as that for a car. Any probs see Roger Webb or go to Stag Lane as they know the rules. Best wishes - see you somewhere diown the road

OP
OP
T

tyrangie1

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi There

Hi Guys nice to her from you and thanks for explaining that, I was beginning to panic.
Glad to hear you are off the crutches did you find out what happened to your foot.
Hope you are both good give our best to Hilary and hopefully see you soon.
Take Care
Angie :Smile:

Bruce Burge

Free Member
Apr 19, 2009
Isle of Wight Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25 years
:Smile:
Hi there, I also live on the I of W and we met over Easter - I am off the crutches now and recovering well - Hil sends here love. Your VIN plate shows the Maximum Loaded (Gross) weight of your vehicle and when the previous owner had it weighed it was 5440 Kg. It was probably partially loaded and so all this tells you is that there was 2275 Kg more that it could carry before it was overloaded. The rules state that motorhomes are a specific MoT case. Under 3500kg maximum weight a motorhome is treated just like a car and first MoT tested three years from first registration, and every year thereafter. Vehicles over 3500kg normally come into a different category and have to be tested after one year from new, but motorhomes are specifically excluded from this requirement and are tested at the same point as a car – after three years. This has sometimes led to drivers being wrongly told that they will be prosecuted. It is helpful to remember that not all traffic policemen have total knowledge of the law, so if this happens, be polite and explain… Some MoT stations also get confused and have suggested that a large motorhome is in a different MoT testing class. It is not, but sometimes the normal Class IV testing station may not be large enough inside to test the vehicle, so it may have to be done somewhere else. Even so, the fee should still be the same as that for a car. Any probs see Roger Webb or go to Stag Lane as they know the rules. Best wishes - see you somewhere diown the road
Hi there i also live on island, Mot for you vehicle will have to be tested at a class seven Mot station ,stag lane dont have a pit or equipment capable of lifting that weight.Bartletts,Adams mory or,Vosa at Cowes ,Southern Vetics,will Mot that size motor home for you.Price will vary retail is £54.00 same as a car,i use Bartletts for my Coach 7800kilos never had a problem yet.As for weights reguarding your vehicle bit of a mine field im afraid never understood them, police dont want extra paper work if they spot check you, Vosa are stopping everything on island and main land,from a box trailor to a artic so you need to be aware of your legalty. You can email me for more info if required. Reguards Bruce.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Bruce Burge

Free Member
Apr 19, 2009
Isle of Wight Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25 years
Hi there thanks for reply ,dont know how to cotact you will be nice to meet and chat , Megga wheels car show at garlic festival site next week end sat,sun,mon. Usually lots of trikes there also lots of other attractions i am going ,time for a chill out.Maybe see you there,cheaper than crossing solent entrance £5.00 per day ,camping ok dont know cost but free if you have something on show.I am taking my race car to display,and will go friday evening,dont if there is any water on tap, toilets ok if you dont mind sitting in a tardis.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back