Road Studs Removed ? (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Recently we have noticed the above sign in our village (just north of A FINE CITY)and have also noted the same or similar signs all over the country.I take it they refer to the cats eyes,why are they removing these as I thought they were a valuable help at night.I have also noted that some councils leave the holes and others fill them in so seems like a permanent thing.Anyone know???Martin

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I did read a few months ago that a lot of councils are not replacing them, would probably be OK if the white lines were repainted regularly as I suppose car headlights are better now. A pity though in my opinion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I saw a similar sign earlier this year and it was in conjunction with road works. I can't remember where it was but it may well have been during our trip to Norfolk.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
It now is standard practice to remove cats eyes as the cost of maintenance has got too much for the local authority,Sad, but when these things come loose a lorry could easily put one through your windscreen lol. I do think they will be sadly missed on some roads

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Maybe they are referring to the older metal non reflective studs that you used to see across the road at pedestrian crossings.. road junctions etc.. ?

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Similar signs on A59 and A61 en route from Preston to Calton Miniott today.

OP
OP
Mr Ed
Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
It now is standard practice to remove cats eyes as the cost of maintenance has got too much for the local authority,Sad, but when these things come loose a lorry could easily put one through your windscreen lol. I do think they will be sadly missed on some roads
Yes that sounds about right and as said by Carolyn headlights are much more effective today. Martin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Miles of them removed around Scarborough....some roads now resurfaced but still no studs/cats eyes.

Some wise-ass said they were removed so the tour de yorkshire cycle riders didnt slip on them....:LOL:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
On minor and residential roads, I reckon cats eyes and white lines encourage a sense of greater safety and encourage speeding.
No road markings give drivers a sense of uncertainty and it makes them more aware and cautious.
Our village suffers lots of speeding cars and I get annoyed when new white lines are painted. The only 30 signs are the ones at each end of the village and one of those is placed as to be invisible to vehicles turning off the A47 trunk road. There are no reminder signs anywhere.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
We've noticed this too on our recent travels. Be interesting round here on our country lanes the next time there's thick fog!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We've noticed this too on our recent travels. Be interesting round here on our country lanes the next time there's thick fog!

Easy! Keep steering left until your wing mirror folds back or you feel the verge under your nearside wheels!:)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Miles of them removed around Scarborough....some roads now resurfaced but still no studs/cats eyes.

Some wise-ass said they were removed so the tour de yorkshire cycle riders didnt slip on them....:LOL:
They're extremely unsettling for a cornering or braking motorcycle when they're wet - any bigger they'd be lethal.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The only 30 signs are the ones at each end of the village and one of those is placed as to be invisible to vehicles turning off the A47 trunk road. There are no reminder signs anywhere.
30 mph areas only get reminder signs if there are no street lights. Any area with street lights closer together than 200 yards (now 183m) apart is subject to a 30 mph speed limit unless a higher limit is posted - for which there will be reminder signs.

A lot of white line painting is supposed to slow you down, not encourage people to speed up. The effect of white edge markings painted a foot or more in from the side of the road is to make the road appear to be narrower than it really is, thus encouraging a slower speed. Maybe our psychology has got tuned into that now & it doesn't have the same effect any more.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Having white lines down the centre of our road gives the impression it is an extension of the A road which traffic has just exited!
Then30 sign is barely noticeable and traffic continues at the 50mph allowed on the main road!

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Many places on the continent I have seen them marking the boundaries of the road not the centre. Very effective, and presumably less of a hazard to 2 wheelers. But hardly likely to happen in this age of austerity.

Dick

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Here is a bit of trivia for your quiz nights

• White studs mark the lanes or the middle of the road.
  • Red studs mark the left edge of the road.
  • Amber studs mark the central reservation of a dual carriageway or motorway.
  • Green studs mark the edge of the main carriageway at lay-bys and slip roads.
  • Green/yellow studs indicate temporary adjustments to lane layouts, e.g. where road works are taking place.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
There have been a load of LED side , centre and offside marker lights on the A2 towards Dover and Canterbury, They work very well and show the road up when you headlights are off ( tried it). Usual colours apply with green as turn off points.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back