12v Battery Protection From Ciggie Lighter Anyone (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
the cigarette lighter in my car is on all the time and I want to run a portable cool box from it. Trouble is that after an hour or so the battery will be flat. Many years ago I had an adapter that went between the socket and the cool box that would disconnect it if the battery was starting to go down a bit.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these gadgets from and what would they be called?
Thanks

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've got one - it's rubbish!

We have a Ford S-Max people carrier that has a stupidly small battery, we always had to be careful about the courtesy lights flattening it whilst we were packing up after camping holidays, to the extent where I ended up always taking jump leads on holiday with us!

I bought one of these to plug into the coolbox as I was worried about that flattening the battery during stops on our journeys. However, I simply found that every time I turned the engine off it cut the power to the coolbox immediately, regardless of the state of battery charge.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've got one - it's rubbish!

We have a Ford S-Max people carrier that has a stupidly small battery, we always had to be careful about the courtesy lights flattening it whilst we were packing up after camping holidays, to the extent where I ended up always taking jump leads on holiday with us!

I bought one of these to plug into the coolbox as I was worried about that flattening the battery during stops on our journeys. However, I simply found that every time I turned the engine off it cut the power to the coolbox immediately, regardless of the state of battery charge.
I'd rather hope that it would. There's a good chance that if it waited to see 11.6v before turning off the vehicle wouldn't start anyway. Ideally you only want the cool box to be connected when the engine's running.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I'd had the coolbox left on (unintentionally) with the engine off for about 45 minutes before and the car showed no hesitation in starting. It just seemed that this bit of kit is a bit too quick to knock the power off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'd rather hope that it would. There's a good chance that if it waited to see 11.6v before turning off the vehicle wouldn't start anyway. Ideally you only want the cool box to be connected when the engine's running.
That is 11.6v under load from the cooler.
a few seconds after disconnecting the cooler the battery voltage will have recovered sufficiantly to start the engine.
your engine battery can show as low as 9v while under cranking loads but soon recovers to 12.6v

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
the cigarette lighter in my car is on all the time and I want to run a portable cool box from it. Trouble is that after an hour or so the battery will be flat. Many years ago I had an adapter that went between the socket and the cool box that would disconnect it if the battery was starting to go down a bit.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these gadgets from and what would they be called?
Thanks
What is the make and model of your car? There may be a simpler solution.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@DanielFord it a 2010 skoda Fabia. The local dealer says it can't be changed (?)
Damn, not a make I am familiar with. It is worth noting that most manufacturers have the wiring for both set ups. If you dismantle the assembly, you may well find, behind the 12v socket, there is a redundant spade joint. This will be the switched live, so you unplug the permanent live from the socke and plug the other one in, hey presto, a switched 12v socket.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back