Q Pods (2 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Know nothing about them other than what I have read on Google .. but if they can be towed (in the UK) they look like good fun and quite useful, a cheap run-around while on site.. fun at home ..

would really appreciate information from anyone who has owned one or knows all about them..

@Jaws .. just the man I'm thinking.. (y)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I thought that this was a great demonstration of one Jim. (Hope link works?)

Didn't know what one was! Interesting though.

Beware if you click on qpod.co.uk when you browse, my anti-viral software clocked it as a threat and removed the virus! There is a virus warning printed alongside the entry.

This link is ok. (Shame about the geezer's shorts!!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U3ReqySokVw

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup we had one for a year or so.. Really good fun and a true crowd pleaser !
They are extremely light and very easy to hook up and two..
Downsides
Road tax is quite high from memory, and realistically 10 miles is as far as you want to go unless the roads are smooth ..
Mine did 40mph comfortably
Parts are readily available

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
image.jpg
I had a ride around the track at Goodwood Festival of Speed (admit I did not go that fast). Was good fun.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This is our old one..

P1010124s.jpg
P1010130s.jpg

As you can see from the 2nd picture they are very easy to tow.
That bar was supplied with the car and is locked in place with a couple of pins
You then just pick the front up and drop it on the tow hook. I doubt it is more than about 20 kilos to lift ( due in no small part to the extra leverage that bar gives you )

Before that we had a 'standard' QPod.. worked exactly the same but did not look as good LOL !!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This is our old one..

View attachment 69376 View attachment 69375

As you can see from the 2nd picture they are very easy to tow.
That bar was supplied with the car and is locked in place with a couple of pins
You then just pick the front up and drop it on the tow hook. I doubt it is more than about 20 kilos to lift ( due in no small part to the extra leverage that bar gives you )

Before that we had a 'standard' QPod.. worked exactly the same but did not look as good LOL !!
Still not legal to tow though.

It has brakes.....and they dont work when towing.

ANY trailer fitted with brakes, regardless of weight, must meet minimum braking performance specifications

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We saw these for hire in Norway
They were electric, which may be a cheaper option for tax etc

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
John Wickersham (journalist for MMM and other mags) used to have one but eventually got shot. I'm not sure if it was to do with the safety issues related to using it as a car as there is very little protection for the occupants in an accident.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No idea how or why but it is legal.. They weigh less than the maximum allowed for a trailer before it needs brakes, and back in the day when Noel Edmunds was involved with them there was an awful lot of back door goings on. I still have some of the paper work that came with the car and in it there is a very legal looking document on VOSA headed paper stating it is ok to be towed on the road ( This was a copy as supplied by the people I bought it from )

Possibly, as the original idea was for them to become a popular town car**, someone somewhere in a high place rubber stamped something to bypass the requirement that if brakes are fitted they must operate.. I really have no idea at all though.

In many ways this would have been a ruddy good idea, except for the fact the makers use an engine that is not terribly efficient and failed completely in making them acceptable transport in pouring rain.. So the dream of seeing millions of them in city centres was flawed at the off .. but no doubt some dimwit politician could not see the issues and thought they would make a name for themselves !!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there is a very legal looking document on VOSA headed paper stating it is ok to be towed on the road
Would you like me to make you some more copies John.....
or would you like a telegram from her maj well before your 100th birthday

anyone with a printer and a little common sense can reproduce anything.
look at the A frame manufacturer who issue a letter in various foreign languages claiming their A frame is legal when it has never been decided if they are legal or not....to me that is false representation.

The construction and use regulations state, regardless of weight, if brakes are fitted then by law those brakes must work and meet trailer regulations when the vehicle is being towed.
750kg is the limit if brakes ARE NOT fitted but even below that weight if it has em they must work while being towed.
there cant be one law for trailers and another for Qpods.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Would you like me to make you some more copies John.....
or would you like a telegram from her maj well before your 100th birthday

anyone with a printer and a little common sense can reproduce anything.
look at the A frame manufacturer who issue a letter in various foreign languages claiming their A frame is legal when it has never been decided if they are legal or not....to me that is false representation.

The construction and use regulations state, regardless of weight, if brakes are fitted then by law those brakes must work and meet trailer regulations when the vehicle is being towed.
750kg is the limit if brakes ARE NOT fitted but even below that weight if it has em they must work while being towed.
there cant be one law for trailers and another for Qpods.

When I quoted the document number to my local VOSA training school bod he looked it up..
All he could confirm was that it was a genuine VOSA tech sheet number and the heading gave reference to the Qpod.. He was pretty sure it was genuine..

Anyways.. matters not.. Towed the thing all over the place and never once got tugged.. Drew plenty of attention mind !
While at a site near Yarmouth we was followed from the town back to said site by plod.. When I stopped at the van the lads got out their car and were really interested in it..
Told me they had thought it was some sort of toy that had no right to be on the road, had PNC'd it, got the details and then wanted more cos the car looked so much fun ! But that is about the only interest in it the police ever showed :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Love it! but I don't want to tow, and I fall off bikes, so .....
..... will it go on my Fiamma 3-bike rack ..... ??? ;):whistle::)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Still not legal to tow though.

It has brakes.....and they dont work when towing.

ANY trailer fitted with brakes, regardless of weight, must meet minimum braking performance specifications
Do they have to work independently or the fact they are there and work but need to be applied by someone still apply.
I have a quad that cost an arm and leg to tax and insure, 4+ times more than my car did and for a restricted milegae of 2 miles each way to my woods. I think this might be the same, although small and frugal will not have an emission value so collects the full wack tax, same as an V8 rangerover.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Love it! but I don't want to tow, and I fall off bikes, so .....
..... will it go on my Fiamma 3-bike rack ..... ??? ;):whistle::)
What you want is the 'green' version like this ... :D

kt-nitro-extreme.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do they have to work independently or the fact they are there and work but need to be applied by someone still apply.
I have a quad that cost an arm and leg to tax and insure, 4+ times more than my car did and for a restricted milegae of 2 miles each way to my woods. I think this might be the same, although small and frugal will not have an emission value so collects the full wack tax, same as an V8 rangerover.
If they are fitted they must work......automatically when the tow vehicle slows the same as a trailer.
can be conventional over run hitch or electric.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back