Approval Scheme For Motorhome Dealers (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It will be interesting to see if the NCC can pull this off. It will be good for everyone if they can. To do so they need to spend a lot of money making people aware that they should only buy from dealers in the scheme. And, they need to police the scheme with teeth and remove dealers that don't meet the code of conduct. Great if they can do it and I wish them luck and keep my reservations to myself. Broken Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I do have concerns with these sort of schemes.. No idea how this one might run but if anything like the trade groups, ultimately the customer ends up footing the bill for the scheme.
If it will be a nominal fee to become registered on the scheme then fine, if, like many trade groups, the costs are little short of exorbitant, then they will ultimately be passed on to the customer.
Now bare with me a bit here
If it means higher prices of vehicles which are being sold by a dealer ( to cover the scheme costs ) then someone looking at a specific van is not going to go with the dearer one if two identical MH's are available from two dealers.
Its all well and good saying 'ah yes' but we are members of XX scheme and are FAR better to deal with that YY dealer who isn't' because ultimately a vast percentage of folk rate all these schemes right up there with chocy frying pans !
Eventually a registered dealer could potentially loose enough sales where he can no longer afford to be a member of the scheme.. He drops it.. then what happens ?
people point fingers saying there must be something wrong with the dealership as they have LOST the right to be a member of said scheme ( folk rarely let truth get in the way of a good gossip :) )!

Sorry... a bit long winded but having been involved in a couple of trade related schemes I will admit to being somewhat skewed on the subject ( and afore anyone thinks bitter and twisted, the first one was an aerial riggers guild of which I am an honorary life time member and the second was in the electronics field and as one of the first 100 members had free membership for 5 years.. by which time I had moved on anyway..
But I saw a good few small firms suffer as suggested in my original diatribe :(

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think it will be the sort of scheme where if they pay they are on the list I bet most will be the big boys where pleanty on here have had cause to complain

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The trouble with these organisations is that they become full of hubris and think they are gods. It all starts with a trade body where they then start to restrict who belongs and then get legal backing to give approvals, next thing it becomes illegal to do anything that they control. The example of this is corgi and then Gas safe, given legal powers to restrict there business to themselves unless a large sum is paid to them. Fensa is another with legal powers as to who can fit a window to your house. Then along comes the Hetas with legal approval for chimney and a restricted access so only members of the body can get approval. The approval of electrical fitting to houses by approved people and trade bodies. They are all vested interests using the Law under building regulations to gain work for their members only. Even your MH is governed by the gas safe regulation and they have not got the foggiest idea as to how the van systems work yet have the authority to do it. Every time I see this kind of organisation get its teeth into a sector of commerce I know that it will cost money somewhere. Health and safety is the usual reason for the approvals and that applies to lots of sector and is difficult to counter argue against because it is the safety of the public. MORE LIKE the safety of the high charges demanded because they have the approval and no one else is allowed to do it.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It will be interesting to see if the NCC can pull this off. It will be good for everyone if they can. To do so they need to spend a lot of money making people aware that they should only buy from dealers in the scheme. And, they need to police the scheme with teeth and remove dealers that don't meet the code of conduct. Great if they can do it and I wish them luck and keep my reservations to myself. Broken Link Removed
Bollocks

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If dealers get frequent favourable reports on this site, perhaps 10 without a negative word, maybe Jim could award them a smiley face to go with their other approval stickers. There are a lot of people who read MHF and perhaps even more who read the write ups. A smiley face of approval on an ad, could be worth a visit and perhaps a few quids in the coffers.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
It's a bit like PAT testing , it has nothing to do with British standards or the 17th edition of the electricians regs ,there is no reference whatsoever in the sparks rule book , it's all driven by private commerce and insurance companies.

I wonder if this new acreditation has anything to do with the up coming change in consumer protection.

Honestly why do you need this approved dealer scheme ,when the new laws come in to play ? Stinks of a cartell ?

Starting

Reactions: DBK
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
It's a bit like PAT testing , it has nothing to do with British standards or the 17th edition of the electricians regs ,there is no reference whatsoever in the sparks rule book , it's all driven by private commerce and insurance companies.

I wonder if this new acreditation has anything to do with the up coming change in consumer protection.

Honestly why do you need this approved dealer scheme ,when the new laws come in to play ? Stinks of a cartell ?

Starting

Approved by whom? I use local tradesmen that are RECOMMENDED by locals that have used them.
My 2 sons have a village garage, they are not approved by some trade body but approved and recommended by locals, conversely they will be slated in the locality for poor service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back