Truma Saphir Air Con ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thinking on fitting this unit .. does anyone have it ?

I know the pros and cons of air-con... had several vans with it fitted on the roof ..RV had two.. and we used the bedroom unit to pre cool before going to bed..

looking for owners experience of this particular unit.. or know anyone who has it..

I like how it can be ducted to different areas.. and that it fits under a bench seat..

Broken Link Removed

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I've only ever fitted one back in 2005, to one of the Norwich SOS buses that we built, we still do work on the bus but haver never had any faults reported with the air con unit unlike Dometic roof top units ,and from memory it worked pretty well, positioning it is another matter you really need to get the outlet ducting up high so a seat near a wardrobe is ideal there is also a pretty big hole needed through the floor under the air con unit other than that a doddle to fit and only wish I could afford to fit one in ours

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for that..

been looking at how to fit it.. have an ideal place under a seat where I could run duct up a corner to the roof and a second one to the transverse bed area..

had a message from Eddie van bitz, who didn't rate them.. so have been reconsidering..

btw.. came by your van a few times at the Thetford bash to say hi.. .. but you must have been out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
sorry about that we are nearly all ways in unless the bar is open. Eddie might know more than me about them as I have only ever fitted the one but it seemed to be a good bit of kit and as far as I know it is still doing a good job in the SOS bus .

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Jim,
I fitted this unit to my Chausson Best of 10 last year and it's been great. has as already been said, make sure you have clearance beneath the unit as there are 3 largish holes and 1 small hole for the drain required. I would also say this unit is suitable for 6 metre max motorhomes, mine is 5.98 and works just fine. I used mine a couple of weeks back in France and is was great, the compressor unit is sealed like a fridge so far less trouble than the vehicle air conditioning.
Hope this helps
Lee.
P.S it is fine on 6 amp french sites.

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 outlet ducts straight out from the side via short lengths of ducting and Truma vents pointing upwards.
Lee

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have it fitted in our 8m Hymer, both outlets are high up (against ceiling), one directed over transverse bed other opposite door in middle of MH

I would say it is not a lot of good if you really want cold, but it does definitely keep it a little cooler than outside on hot days

we have an odd problem where the design of the MH is poor, the air intake for the air con is too close to the grey and black tank vents which are both under our MH, can pick up smells sometimes

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
we have it fitted in our 8m Hymer, both outlets are high up (against ceiling), one directed over transverse bed other opposite door in middle of MH

I would say it is not a lot of good if you really want cold, but it does definitely keep it a little cooler than outside on hot days

we have an odd problem where the design of the MH is poor, the air intake for the air con is too close to the grey and black tank vents which are both under our MH, can pick up smells sometimes
The recirculated air should not be drawn from beneath the motorhome but from inside. The only air drawn from beneath is also expelled from beneath, the recirculated air in the motorhome is drawn through the white grill on the end of the air conditioner (complete with air filter) which in my case is beneath my side seat in which I had to put in an extra vent.
Lee.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The recirculated air should not be drawn from beneath the motorhome but from inside. The only air drawn from beneath is also expelled from beneath, the recirculated air in the motorhome is drawn through the white grill on the end of the air conditioner (complete with air filter) which in my case is beneath my side seat in which I had to put in an extra vent.
Lee.

Thanks, that's interesting, I have no idea where the workings are, other than boxed in with the Alde system in the garage area, might need new filters, or filters fitting ? :)

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I too have this system in my MH and all 3 vents are high up, one in the bedroom at the rear, one in the kitchen area and the 3rd in the living area. The re-circulating air intake (along with filter) is just below the bench seat and this was all fitted at the factory when MH was built. It is a fantastic but of kit which kept the internal temp very comfortable when I was in Croatia just a couple of weeks ago.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks, that's interesting, I have no idea where the workings are, other than boxed in with the Alde system in the garage area, might need new filters, or filters fitting ? :)

Interesting that you say it is in the garage.. I contemplated fitting there then realised that the intake air wouldn't come from the same place as the cold outlet.. so that may be why yours doesn't work so well.. ?

to work efficiently the air in the van has to recirculate, adding warm air from outside will reduce the efficiency..

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Interesting that you say it is in the garage.. I contemplated fitting there then realised that the intake air wouldn't come from the same place as the cold outlet.. so that may be why yours doesn't work so well.. ?

to work efficiently the air in the van has to recirculate, adding warm air from outside will reduce the efficiency..

Morning Jim, that is based on the fact that I cant see it anywhere in the MH interior, also the smell issue, typically we notice that first inside the garage due to location of the vent

Don't do anything on the basis of my input :D

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Morning Jim, that is based on the fact that I cant see it anywhere in the MH interior, also the smell issue, typically we notice that first inside the garage due to location of the vent

Don't do anything on the basis of my input :D

Morning.. :)

and thanks.. all input is valuable..

as it isn't double floored, the garage would be good for me, provided I could duct the intake air from the hab area that would work good .. perhaps that's how yours is fitted.. ?

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
That's right Jim, the air must be recirculated from the habitation area. It may be possible to do this via ducting.
Lee.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have the previous version, the frostair. Its nice in the fact that it distributes the air throughout the van and even on fan only it keeps the van feeling better inside, its better under the floor than having a roof unit. It dousent really get icey cold as the ducting is not insulated so loses a lot of the coldness before getting to the vents. If you are on EHU you leave it on all the time and it will garadually bring the temperature down. We mainly use ours on fan running off the inverter.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Jim, I have this unit in my MoHo under the bench seat and the (1600 watt) smaller roof fitted one in the rear bedroom. I like the thought of the underfloor Saphir because it supposedly makes less noise, however considering it is the more powerful of the two I have to say the Roof unit seems more efficient plus the roof mount has a quiet mode for sleeping and it really is quiet.

You're welcome to see it if our paths cross at Malvern or Bristol or Pembrey.

Griff

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have tracked mine down to the garage, boxed in with the Alde, there are no obvious vents from the habitation area to 'feed' it, I can only presume it draws air from the garage area. Doesn't surprise me, I am convinced our Hymer was a prototype

Not sure what I could do now anyway, but having just broken my skylight winder maybe I should trade it in :D

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Old thread but ive been glad of the aircon unit previous owner fitted .
Thought ok will never use that etc.
Worked brills in the hot days of the last couple of weeks.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Nothing stopping you from doing that so long as you have an inverter fitted to provide the unit with 230-240v pure sine wave on the move.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back