an intersting thing about SOG toilet (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Two yeas ago I fitted a S.O.G modification to our toilet cassette and about 3 weeks ago it went from nearly completely silent operation to (for a small motor) quite a noisy one.

I at first suspected that the fan drive shaft was made of normal steel and had collected corrosion and the corrosion build up was touching something.

On stripping the fan unit from the cassette door I found that the inside fan feed pipe from the cassette and the fan body were infected with tiny wood lice type insects. How they got there or even why the went there is a complete mystery to me (A free drink to the winning suggestion)

The insects where dead or at least they did not move (quite right too) so I reconnected the power cable and run the motor and sprayed WD40 into the fan, this washed out the offending items and the unit has been as good a gold ever since.

Doug...

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
maybe coming out of the woodwork Doug ... :Eeek:

Good one Jim but access is the problem, at one end there is the toilet bowl at the other end is carbon mesh filter and that's outside on the cassette door.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Doug, woodlice are my pet hate :Eeek: I had an outside lamp that was set in cement -feed wire as well- rubber seal to glass,but still got full of the little sods--so a filter is not going to stop them :ROFLMAO::Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:Eeek: its a braver man than me who sprays a flammable liquid on a running electric motor.........:whatthe:

i sprayed the arcing plug leads on a running car engine to stop a mis-fire and set the thing on fire:Doh:

you only do it once...:Blush:

think i would have used an airline or footpump..

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
:Eeek: its a braver man than me who sprays a flammable liquid on a running electric motor.........:whatthe:

i sprayed the arcing plug leads on a running car engine to stop a mis-fire and set the thing on fire:Doh:

you only do it once...:Blush:

think i would have used an airline or footpump..

Yes but I know what I am doing!!! (horses for courses)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes but I know what I am doing!!! (horses for courses)

so did i Doug, so did i.
done it many times before but just once too often.......never again.

spraying a flammable liquid on some thing that CAN product a spark is just plain stupid and asking for trouble.

if you know a way to do this in TOTAL safety without ANY risk of fire then please share it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
so you arent going to divulge your secret method then?

I will give you a clue... ask yourself..

What kind of motor is it?

What enviroment is the motor working in?

And that as far as I will take you!

Doug...

S

sinbad1

Deleted User

Doug...

Its an induction motor for wood lice:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Doug...

ok Doug......i jumped in too quick.

its a 12v dc brushless motor and its working in a damp/moist environment where a brushed motor wouldnt work for long.

me and my big gob:Blush:

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
OK, no harm done.:thumb:

And for good measure its also potted in resin.

Doug..

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
It does raise a question regarding this system, it does i suppose remove smells from the inside to the outside, I personally would'nt fit one;but as i understand it unlike the normal system where it is a closed unit (only open when in use) the SOG is an open system.

Wouldn't this system send a smelly invitation to all these bugs :Eeek:the smell might be offensive to us ;but to them its a free meal :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Let's look at this a la Sherlock Holmes

• Your fan was originally quiet - it was therefore a quiet fan.
  • Your fan became noisy - it was no longer a quiet fan.
  • Therefore, something had broken.
  • Upon investigation you found dead insects inside the fan.
  • Therefore the insects had broken.
  • So, using logic, the insects actually made the fan work quietly.

Also

• WD40 appears to have made the fan quiet again.
  • The insects must be working again.

Conclusion: WD40 can fix anything!

:thumb:

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
It does raise a question regarding this system, it does i suppose remove smells from the inside to the outside, I personally would'nt fit one;but as i understand it unlike the normal system where it is a closed unit (only open when in use) the SOG is an open system.

Wouldn't this system send a smelly invitation to all these bugs :Eeek:the smell might be offensive to us ;but to them its a free meal :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes, you are right, when the cassette is opened for use there is a micro switch fitted that starts the fan drawing air into the pan, through the cassette and out of the van.

Interesting that you say you "wouldn't fit one" as they make a marked improvement to the odors in the van in general plus there is no need to use cassette additive, which I find unpleasant, but then as always its "horses for courses"

As to the outlet attracting the bugs I think you could be right on that one too, but there is one point I have to make clear, the bugs were very small, smaller that the head of a match. and my description of being like wood lice was a guide and not definitive.

The filter is a honeycomb of plastic coated with carbon so I thing they could have got through it.

Doug...

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Yes, you are right, when the cassette is opened for use there is a micro switch fitted that starts the fan drawing air into the pan, through the cassette and out of the van.

Interesting that you say you "wouldn't fit one" as they make a marked improvement to the odors in the van in general plus there is no need to use cassette additive, which I find unpleasant, but then as always its "horses for courses"

As to the outlet attracting the bugs I think you could be right on that one too, but there is one point I have to make clear, the bugs were very small, smaller that the head of a match. and my description of being like wood lice was a guide and not definitive.

The filter is a honeycomb of plastic coated with carbon so I thing they could have got through it.

Doug...

I have used the cassette system for many years (fulltiming on a boat) originally when i started i used that blue stuff ;but soon after stopped using that as you did, because of the horrid smell.

Better not to use additive and empty your cassette on a regular basis, no problem and IMHO no need for a system like SOG.

I think an extractor fan in the toilet area would be a better option, if not allready fitted.

£100 is a lot of money to catch bugs:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Since we are on every vanners favourite topic .. :Cool:

Another idea instead of a SOG , and I installed this on a previous Euro van..

Run a 1" flexible pipe from the cassette spout, (same place as the SOG), to the roof of the van via a cupboard and fit a roof vent, the same as RVs have.. the natural draught is sufficient to draw away the smells.. and you don't need a fan, although fitting one would increase the draught..
If you don't have a handy cupboard it could be run inside a piece of white mini-trunking ..

This is an option if your toilet door is on the same side as the habitation door where the smell from a SOG can be a bit rich, especially under an awning on a hot day :roflmto:.. it's also 'neighbour friendly' ..

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Hi Jim,
This is an option if your toilet door is on the same side as the habitation door where the smell from a SOG can be a bit rich, especially under an awning on a hot day :roflmto:.. it's also 'neighbour friendly' ..
The only time there is any smell from ours in use is if the filter needs changing.
This happens about every 14 - 15 months and we use cut down universal chip pan or cooker hood carbon filters. There is no doubt when it needs changing, but the rest of the time there is no smell (until emptying time!!!!)

So, if there is a smell, change the filter.

Regards,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back