replace roof (2 Viewers)

slurps2

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
wales
Funster No
hi all,as anyone any idea about the cost in replaceing a roof of a swift life style 590 rs.
thank for any help.

OP
OP
S

slurps2

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
wales
Funster No
no but I need some sort of price to see if I can take it to count court or if I have to take it to crown court.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your best bet would be to get a professional estimate from a motorhome repairer........best guess estimates wont stand up in court.

you would probably need documented proof of cost.

OP
OP
S

slurps2

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
wales
Funster No
I know but if the cost is over £5k for all the repair it would have to be crown court

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Is it a case of you wanting a new roof and they wanting to repair the original roof or is it beyond repair, or have they failed in your opinion to make a satisfactory repair
relacing a whole roof with new would involve almost total interior dismantling and sounds very drastic I would suggest cost would be well in excess of £5000
watch the time limits for CC action:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
S

slurps2

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
wales
Funster No
the van is an 03 this as been ongoing now for over 18 months in july I would have had the van for 2 years.I have only used it for 18 DAYS.
the finace company wanted to send out some inspectors after over 12 months I paid for that to be done, I had the cost of replaceing the guts but he said that the roof would have to come off as well.
Just needed some sort of price just to see if it would cover the £5k in county court.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
the van is an 03 this as been ongoing now for over 18 months in july I would have had the van for 2 years.I have only used it for 18 DAYS.
the finace company wanted to send out some inspectors after over 12 months I paid for that to be done, I had the cost of replaceing the guts but he said that the roof would have to come off as well.
Just needed some sort of price just to see if it would cover the £5k in county court.

Hi, fair comment but what is actually wrong with the roof?

I doubt if a new roof would be available that easily.

Peter

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.

18 days use in 2 years :Eeek: I take it thats not through choice.
Surely Swift can give you the cost of replaceing the roof, or a knowledgable Swift main dealer:whistle: after all a roof is a roof with all the std build bits included, regional labour rates vary but surely it can't be rocket science can it. ?

Was it purchased from a authorised Swift dealer, a dealer,or a private seller. ?? or in other words who are you taking to court.

Pete.

OP
OP
S

slurps2

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
wales
Funster No
just behind pod roof flapping in the wind,around roof window 3 inches of water

OP
OP
S

slurps2

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
wales
Funster No
the motor home was purchased from freewheel leisure of talbot green.south wales they refused to do anything they told the finace company that I was happy with the motor home even thou I gave them 2 damp reports from 2 other companys,and even 1 from the extended warranty company.
they wouldnt talk to tradeing stardards they wouldnt talk to my solicitors I am just looking for away a way around all this.I was given and the finace company a costing of just over £3600.00 TO REPAIR IT ALL 18 months ago. but as it as taken over 12 months for the finace company and not getting any where with them,all I had was the name of the company (calvin-baker)I RANG THEM. and asked them how much it would cost me for the inspection £300.00.
calvin-baker then said the roof would have to come off and there was problems with the air con unit which I didnt know about 12 months ago.
so I am at my wits end as to what to do next.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I know but if the cost is over £5k for all the repair it would have to be crown court

I think you must mean "High Court" as Crown Court is for criminal offences not civil matters.

I know in your eyes it was criminal but best to get it right :winky:

Boo

dobbers

Free Member
Dec 12, 2008
Funster No
roof damage

hi

in january of this year we replaced a roof on a 590rs (hail damage)

parts & labour £4000

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just looked at your pics......has the roof and pod seperated?
is there a gap between them ?

looking at it id say no, or the water would go straight inside.

looks like theres been, at some time, a serious leak around the roof window and the foam core has de-laminated from the inner ply sheets and outer GRP skin.

the ply has probably got soaked and sagged under its own weight causing the pools of rain water to collect there.

only way to be sure would be to remove the window and have a look in the opening.

the pod is probably causing a vacuum just behind itself, like an aeroplane wing, and sucking the roof skin upwards as you drive making it flap.

certainly needs a new roof anyway.:Sad:

OP
OP
S

slurps2

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
wales
Funster No
Swift

I sent an email to swift asking about what i have to replace with the roof to come off and all the panells to be replace and any thing else that was behind the panell.all I got was sorry unable to help you aat this time even thou I hade even sent them photos at there request.
not a happy chappy

OP
OP
S

slurps2

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
wales
Funster No
roof

I dont know but the inspector told me thae roof would have to come off for a start,

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Slurps,about 3 1/2 yrs ago we replaced the roof on a damp van that I bought thinking it was only the joints that had leaked :ROFLMAO:Knowing what I know now what I thought was a bargain price (6k ) was about 3k too much :Doh: It did not bother us at the time because I knew I was going to do a make over :ROFLMAO:
The ali sheets and stuff for all the roof only came to £350 :thumb: so allowing for a double your money increase today - 700- but that is only the start :Eeek: EVERYTHING had to come out of the van and all wiring,wall boards etc, had to be done.Damp had got just about everywhere :cry:
In the end we did a complete interior rip out and renew only using the shower,fridge, heater etc, spending about 2k on new boards,doors, soft furnishings etc in total.It took myself and mate 15 working days.:thumb: We used the van for 6 months then sold it for 3.5 k profit :thumb:::bigsmile:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: If all else fails I will be generous and give you 3k for your van :ROFLMAO: but this may well be too much :ROFLMAO:
I hope this insight is of help and as it stands at the moment your van is to all intensive purposes virtually scrap.:Sad::cry::cry::Eeek:-please do not take this the wrong way,only trying to be of help :thumb::thumb:
terry

OP
OP
S

slurps2

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
wales
Funster No
replacing roof

papers now issued for court I have been told its going to cost over £17.000.00 PLUS vat to put it right.
WHAT A NIGHT MARE

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi slurps2 so just who are you taking to court ? dealer or finance co ? or another party ?
Goof luck :thumb: I hope it does not drag on long for you and that if a judgement is made in your favour they pay up.Thanks for the update
terry

OP
OP
S

slurps2

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
wales
Funster No
the finace company,mind you they have been sent 26 letters and they didnt respond to any.Its been over 2 years I just with it was all sorted out.
will let you knw what ever happens.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the finace company,mind you they have been sent 26 letters and they didnt respond to any.Its been over 2 years I just with it was all sorted out.
will let you knw what ever happens.

with any luck the finance co will now see you mean business and will settle out of court.

if not....good luck, but i think you will win this one. :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi i might be lost, but why take the finance company to court. surely they just lent you the money not a garantee. or have i missed something. why did the finance company send some one to inspect?cant get whats hapening with this one. cheers alan.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi i might be lost, but why take the finance company to court. surely they just lent you the money not a garantee. or have i missed something. why did the finance company send some one to inspect?cant get whats hapening with this one. cheers alan.

until the finance is repaid in full the van still belongs to the finance company and they have responsibilties for it. not fit for purpose etc.

same as with a credit card purchase...the item belongs to them and as such they have a responsibilty. ie...buy a holiday and the company is a bit hooky and the holiday didnt exist...you sue the credit card company.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It is but at the end of the day he should win, def unfit for purpose under the Sale of Goods Act and he should be protected under the Consumer Credit Act.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back