LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ok so since mum no longer can have a class C1 licence we are considering putting a friend on our insurance for our first time jaunt to France in Sept but she was a late starter in driving and has no Class C1... Is this a fresh test to sit or just paperexercise and how much would it cost?

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Why would your friend need a class 1 Artic licence? If she does need a class 1 it is definitely a test.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The change came in 1997 !!!
So a 17 year old passing their test back then will now be mid 30's..

Dont time fly....
Yep flies too quick.shes 51 but didnt pass til 37 so no grandfather rights. :-(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We looked into it for 'er indoors as she passed her test after 1997 so can't drive our current MH.

Locally the only people offering the required training and test are HGC training companies. The best price I could find was £1500 so we haven't bothered and I do all the driving when we're away.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We looked into it for 'er indoors as she passed her test after 1997 so can't drive our current MH.

Locally the only people offering the required training and test are HGC training companies. The best price I could find was £1500 so we haven't bothered and I do all the driving when we're away.
Ouch thats steep!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ouch thats steep!

They are all HGV trainers who are really set up to deal business to business where the cost isn't so much of an issue and the training covers a lot more than you need if you only want C1E for private use. Nobody is really interested in just providing the bare minimum.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i was thinking that a limited c1 test and training was now available for those not wanting to drive commercially. this removed the extra training for loading and securing loads etc.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
i was thinking that a limited c1 test and training was now available for those not wanting to drive commercially. this removed the extra training for loading and securing loads etc.

Quite possibly but it doesn't seem to have made it here yet (y)

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Wow

Not really worth doing your C1 licence, may as well jump straight on in and do HGV C so no future weight restriction

Shop around, when I did mine got quoted anywhere between £1500-2000, but be aware a lot of these are agencies or brokers and do not train.
Shopped local to me got
Medical £40
Theory and hazard perception standard government tests
20hrs training and HGV test for £850 inc VAT

do the test, but do C not C1, great fun but shop around

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Another one of my rambling, slightly off topic questions. If one holds category C, but hasn't done any of the medicals for years, where would one stand? Is it a case of getting medically certified again and your are good to go?

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
I'm not 100% sure as you get different answers from different people but I think you have five years from the date you need to take the medical then it's gone.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

Talked about but nothing happened as yet.... Doubt anything will ever come of it because, as always, need's to fall in line with rest of Europe and I guess they dont have any plans to change..

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Do not forget the CPD and other follow ons that they have to do now including Tachograph instruction safe loading etc etc

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I'm not 100% sure as you get different answers from different people but I think you have five years from the date you need to take the medical then it's gone.

My understanding, some from personal experience, is that once you have passed a test and have "entitlement" you dont loose it at all but more the fact it's down to the license holder to make sure they have a license.
In my case my HGV lapsed as I failed to make it for a medical (bad weather) and put off re-arranging another appointment. Having thought I had lost / passed the renewal date I let it lapse for 4 years.. One day I thought, what if I want to drive something big again or even a large RV. !! Called DVLA and told just get medical done and re-apply.. Bingo new license issued..
I would assume it's same for over 70 who have let it lapse, they could take medical and apply for the category to be added.
Sure this has been debated here on fun or another forum in the past..

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can i ask what might be a daft question

I hold grandad rights so no problem re 7.5 ton but i also hold a full license to drive coach/bus would this cover me for heavier M H

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Another one of my rambling, slightly off topic questions. If one holds category C, but hasn't done any of the medicals for years, where would one stand? Is it a case of getting medically certified again and your are good to go?

As far as im aware, you took and passed the test..you aquired the correct licence and as long as you arent disqalified by age/health/convictions, you can apply for your expired licence entitlement returned.
you will need to take the medical exam but the entitlement should be returned

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes.. ( adding. AFAIK. to cover my ass. ) :)
https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

Category D
You can drive any bus with more than 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Category D+E
You can drive D category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.

A large motorhome IS NOT a bus, regardless of seating capacity.
its a heavy goods vehicle needing a C1 or C licence.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
City bendy buses confuse me.

It is, in effect, a bus and trailer which needs a D+E licence.......the confusing bit is the ENGINE is in the TRAILER while the controls are in the bus.....so is it a bus PUSHING a trailer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back