What Should We Do About This? (1 Viewer)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Folks, I'm looking for some advice.
Before we sold our old van we took it to the local dealer who had fitted a solar panel for us and they agreed that it was faulty. They were going to replace it but the replacement didn't arrive until after we sold it. They then agreed to put it on our new (to us) van.
We now have the new van (Autotrail Miami) and it already has a 120w solar system fitted and the receipts say that the last owner paid £900 for the system.
We looked out of the upstairs windows to check for space for a second panel and it looks like the roof is pretty well covered with the panel and all the vents and skylights. We are also worried about putting too much weight on and having insufficient payload.
The original panel cost us £800 including fitting so walking away with nothing feels a bit sore.
My questions are:
1) Is 120w solar plenty for most people? We have a pair of leisure batteries.
2) If not are there long slim solar panels available to fit in beside the one already there?
3) Would it be reasonable to ask them to give us a cash refund or some alternative work? (I'm doubtful they would do this to be honest but is it fair to ask for it?)
What are your thoughts?
Thanks
Mags

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
120W should be fine. You can get long thin panels, but the one I've seen was very expensive.

I suggest ask them to return the panel and bits to their supplier and refund you. Most of that £800 you have paid will be labour and as they haven fitted it they can't really charge you for what.

At worst, get them to refund the labour but you pay for the items which you then sell. But better to get a full refund.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
So the dealer has a replacement panel for you, which you now don't think you will need..but have paid for..
I suspect the best you can do is take the panel and as suggested sell it .
If you did want it fitting as an addition on your new van they would charge a fitting fee as its no longer a replacement for a faulty but they might do a deal for the initial inconvenience...
My thoughts...
Saw your pictures of new van..looks great and hope you have years of safe and happy travels..
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The original panel cost us £800 including fitting so walking away with nothing feels a bit sore.
If it was this the original panel that was FAULTY which you paid £800 for and have now changed vans, then you are already gaining as whoever now gets your old van will 'inherit' a faulty panel which the dealer will have to sort out so I supposed 'morally' the panel should have gone with the dealer to fit on the old van.

However as the 'solar' dealer (I assume a different company) agreed to put it on your new van FOC the only thing you will lose is the 'free fitting' and some of the value of the panel as they are never worth second hand what you pay for them new, but you are still quids in as you're in effect getting the panel for nothing as anything you get for it is a bonus.

The most you could probably hope for, if you don't want it fitting to your van, is for them to let you have the panel and fittings - I can't see them giving you cash but you could ask as they may be able to use it for another MH, and also may be willing to do some stuff for you too ... nothing to lose by asking!

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgot to say, 120w solar and a couple of batteries should be more than sufficient, so long as you don't have lots of late night party sessions!!! :D

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I presume you traded the old MH with faulty solar panel to a different dealer to the one who fitted the panel. When you traded in were you asked if everything worked and if so what did you tell them?

I think morally the new panel should be sent to the dealer who now has your old MH (presuming it is not the same), in reality I am not sure I would, would very much depend on how the deal had gone with my new MH :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is a 120watts of solar enough? Really depends on your usage, we have 200 watts of solar and now thinking of fitting another 100 watt panel, as if we fully charge the e-bike batteries it really canes the leisure batteries (2 x 95 ah) and takes several days to fully recharge them even in June when you have highest solar output.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
If it was this the original panel that was FAULTY which you paid £800 for and have now changed vans, then you are already gaining as whoever now gets your old van will 'inherit' a faulty panel which the dealer will have to sort out so I supposed 'morally' the panel should have gone with the dealer to fit on the old van.

I told the dealer who bought our MH that the panel was faulty. He was fine about that. He also got a full Gaslow system that he'd been willing to take out for us but as the new van had one fitted we told him to keep it. He's happy.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I presume you traded the old MH with faulty solar panel to a different dealer to the one who fitted the panel. When you traded in were you asked if everything worked and if so what did you tell them?

I think morally the new panel should be sent to the dealer who now has your old MH (presuming it is not the same), in reality I am not sure I would, would very much depend on how the deal had gone with my new MH :)

He was told it was faulty and that the new one was going on our next van so no problem there.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Brilliant idea Chaser - never thought of that.
Or, is anybody on here wanting a panel fitted and would the supplying dealer do that instead of fitting it to your now sold mh?

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
That's also a good idea Gellyneck - it's Knowepark Motorhomes in Livingstone near Edinburgh. Currently booked for fitting on July 28th. They would charge for the fitting of course - only the panel is on warranty.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
lots of advise there @Mags52 . so what are you going to do ..

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Watts provided by solar panels are like gigabytes of RAM in your computer or cold beers in your fridge...

You can never have too many.

(You could always have the extra panel not fitted to the roof but kept somewhere to be brought out and pointed at the sun when necessary.)

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back