Polarity Query (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I wanted to do a small wiring job in my Hymer (2003) 544.
There is a locker obviously intended for a 14" crt TV no longer used for housing a TV.
I wanted to replace the 12 volt socket for a twin USB socket for charging phones / tablets etc.
There are two wires brown and blue, when I put the multi meter on them : -
Red probe to brown wire and black probe to blue wire the needle went down :(
When I put red probe to blue wire and black probe to brown wire it registered 12 v.
I had expected the brown to be live and blue neutral o_O
Is this telling me blue is live and brown neutral and is this as it should be ? Or maybe I`m missing something.
TIA
Chris

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yes , it can be confusing , Hymer use brown as neutral - and blue as positive. +

I discovered this when I changed the water pump.. I connected it the 'conventional ' way and it wasn't pumping properly.. then checked and found it was wrong polarity..

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
yes that's what its saying... the blue is positive.. you are using an analogue type meter if it were a digital you would just get a -12v and + 12v to indicate the polarity.
ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Believe your meter, the Germans use strange colours. I damaged a TV knowing full well the colours were wrong but brain went on autopilot and wired up the TV reversed.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wanted to do a small wiring job in my Hymer (2003) 544.
There is a locker obviously intended for a 14" crt TV no longer used for housing a TV.
I wanted to replace the 12 volt socket for a twin USB socket for charging phones / tablets etc.
There are two wires brown and blue, when I put the multi meter on them : -
Red probe to brown wire and black probe to blue wire the needle went down :(
When I put red probe to blue wire and black probe to brown wire it registered 12 v.
I had expected the brown to be live and blue neutral o_O
Is this telling me blue is live and brown neutral and is this as it should be ? Or maybe I`m missing something.
TIA
Chris
At the risk of muddying the waters, the terms Live and Neutral apply to domestic AC mains supply. For DC supplies the two wires are positive and negative and this is quite different to live and neutral.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
NEVER rely on logic where motorhome wiring is concerned.

I just fitted a volt meter and dual usb socket in my caravan.

Voltmeter wiring is blue with white stripe = pos 12v....yellow with white stripe is neg 12v

Usb wiring is plain blue =pos 12v....brown with white stripe = neg 12v.

On my RV all major wiring is black.....with grey tracer numbers so small you need the Hubble telescope to see them.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Should try an Autotrail.. From memory I think their negative is orange and white !!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Should try an Autotrail.. From memory I think their negative is orange and white !!
Pre swift Autocruise too but positive I think?. Not really a problem where the colour is nothing to compare with accepted standards but clearly a BLUE positive and a BROWN negative is designed to confuse the enemy if captured :LOL:
Top marks to the OP Chris for using a meter!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back