Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Got 11 days off starting next Friday ,the tunnel is booked and the kids and dog are excited and was thinking of heading for the ile d'oleron.
We are hoping to find a few beaches suitable for body boarding and are interested in any Aires or sites close to the beaches .I know it's school holiday time and it will be busy but any ideas and advice welcome .

Vlad

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's a long drive. maybe one to try on route
Tharon plage near Saint Nazaire has a nice aire and beaches
Broken Link Removed

Aire to beach 5 mins on foot

EDIT aire has 6 electric points (Schuko/euro) so a splitter would be advantageous if busy. Borne is included at €10.80 per night. It is a Camping carparks aire and you charge your card with €12 euros at a time from a credit card.

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Link Removed
Le Grand-Village-Plage (above) is the sort of flat sandy west-facing spot you'll catch bodyboarding waves at if there's any swell, but MH parking is very limited and there's a height barrier well short of the beach. Your best bet with Oleron is find an aire and cycle to wherever you want to go - it's not a MH friendly place parking-wise but is well-served with cycle tracks. On the plus side there's a couple of aires that are ex campsites so you get generous soft pitches for not very much. Take a look at the Poitou-Charente section Link Removed - info hasn't been updated for some time but if they're still open it's still valid. There's also a reasonably-priced campsite outside the moat at Chateau d'Oleron with a decent-sized supermarket just round the corner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for your replies ,I know it's a fair drive and I am not worried about how long it takes , as far as west facing beaches go I know that's the key ,surf wise ,if need be I could l head further south Bordeaux way .
Summer in cornwall has enough swell for the kids so I'm looking for the nearest French equivalent .

Vlad

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
22 Acsi campsites on Oleron - we stayed in Le Suroit and another that I can't remember. Both close to the beach, and very easy to cycle around the island. Only thing is in July/August it is VERY busy with the French on holiday.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Aire: ST-PIERRE-D'OLERON (4*)
ADDRESS: OUTSIDE MUN. CAMPING "LA COTINIERE", AVE DES PINS

TEL: 05 46 47 10 53 (CAMPING) 05 46 47 02 83 (MAIRIE) FAX: 05 46 75 23 44 (CAMP)

EMAIL: accueil@saint-pierre-oleron.com

TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL
FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ ELECTRIC/ TOILETS

PRICES/ RATES: JETONS FROM CAMPSITE

PARKING: 7€ / NIGHT (2 PERS.) incl. WATER SERVICES: 4€ WATER or ELECTRIC

OPENING TIMES: 01/04 -- 30/09

GPS COORDS: N45.92389 W01.34265

DIRECTIONS: Take D728 to ILE D'OLERON, becoming D734 on island. In town turn LEFT into ROUTE DE LA COTINIERE (D274) & continue to coast. Turn RIGHT into AVE DU PORT & straight on into AVE DES PINS -- AIRE & CAMPING are on RIGHT after 2kms.

SITE DESCRIPTION The aire is in a small gravel parking area next to the municipal campsite, fenced & under the shade of tall pine trees with access to the campsite facilities -- sanitary block, play area, picnic area & boules. The aire is on the west side of the island in a pine forested area, 200m from the sea (with a very good beach) & about 2km (level walk or ride) to La Cotiniere where there are some shops & a market (Rue du Centre) every day. Euro-Relais service point with drainage grid.

Broken Link Removed
ST PIERRE

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Have used the two ex camp site aires on D'Oleron, though the facilities are well used they all work. At €9.50pn they are good value. The aire at Le Chateau D'Oleron is some distance from the town but provided you don't have a mh over 7m there is limited daytime mh parking in a car park in the centre of town.
Move further into the island and at St Denis there is another former camp site aire and this too offers excellent facilities.
We were there in May and it was clear D'Oleron is a holiday destination for the FRench and you may find at this time of the year the sites are crowded and the narrow roads full of holiday makers. At busy times we have always made it our aim to be at an Aire by 3.00pm as after that there is little chance of getting and emplacement.

Have a good time it is a beautiful area.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Your going to find it difficult on the coast in July>August let alone the islands..... Not impossible but difficult finding a stopover and you may end up staying away from coast without booking in advance..

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
so much great info on this site thank you funsters.

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just googled campsites on the island and around the Bordeaux area, I was very surprised nearly all have space when I try and book a pitch online !
I'm leaving on the 17 th and I've allowed an overnight stop ,I'm just looking at 2 or 3 nights here and there .Some sites have a min 7 night stay but the ones that don't nearly all have availability

Vlad

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
image.jpg
We have just returned great island Pic is going over the bridge we stayed in the middle of the island at le domain d oleron camp site very good site with good cycle routes.

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
Got 11 days off starting next Friday ,the tunnel is booked and the kids and dog are excited and was thinking of heading for the ile d'oleron.
We are hoping to find a few beaches suitable for body boarding and are interested in any Aires or sites close to the beaches .I know it's school holiday time and it will be busy but any ideas and advice welcome .

Vlad
Make sure you check out that beaches are dog friendly as many won't be at that time of the year

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you're going further afield like south of the Gironde and want a proper surfy vibe to the place try Lacanau-Ocean, which has an aire that's set a bit back from the main beaches, but with excellent cycle access to the seafront. You've also got the wooded Plages-Sud car park which has no height barriers if you want to commute to the beach in the MH. Overnighting there is not looked upon kindly by the Gendarmerie though.

La Palmyre is also a favourite of ours, but not ideal for wave riding. The beaches between the lighthouse and Spanish Point look like they have some steep shelves and dodgy currents, and it's a fair old haul on a bike anyway, but if there's no prospect of swell at all there's plenty of other stuff to be doing round that area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back