Question Re: The A63 (bordeaux To The South) (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

Yes, I know I'm a tightwad, (Tyke out of a Scots mother, I've had the generosity beaten out of me)

But, Is there a weight limit to prevent me circumventing the 'New' Peages that have been put on this road in the last couple of years. I note that the D10E runs alongside the Motorway.

I appreciate that on occasion it sometimes pays to cough up, especially in the area surrounding cities where the stop start plays havoc with fuel consumption, but these two small sections have been put there as a 'Cash Cow' and, given the chance I'll not play their games.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Rather depends where you are heading. I favour exiting the A63 at junction 18 and heading for Mont-de-Marsan, Pau, Somport Tunnel, Huesca and Zaragozza.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You can travel on much of the A63 without paying tolls. Coming from north to south exit at Jct 18 and rejoin at Jct 17 saves about 11 € continue down and you can go as far as Castets before paying tolls. We come off here and overnight at St Geores de Maremne and then continue down the D810 and rejoin the bottom end of the A63. we pay these tolls before joining the N121A because it's a right pain avoiding them and only cost a few Euro's.
Your Sat Nav should do this for you!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I would take the A62 Auto route direction Toulouse, and exit at Langon (approx 50k 3.20€) head for Bazas right at 5th roundabout N524 (all the way to Pau).
If you fancy a cuppa, when you cross over the auto route you will see some swimming pools stood on end on your left, turn left, we are on the right(y)

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks to the contributors (especially the offer of a cuppa Frentchy)

Ordinarily I wouldn't rule out any of the suggestions but we are heading 'around the corner' to have a look at Northern Portugal (allegedly) Having said that, if I had a quid for every change of plan we've made whilst on our way somewhere, let alone in the preplanning stage I'd be a damn sight richer than I am now.

The only thing I'd really like to know is if those pesky bean counters have put up some 3.5T limits on the side roads to the A63. Our cousins seem rather good at that.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Thanks to the contributors (especially the offer of a cuppa Frentchy)

Ordinarily I wouldn't rule out any of the suggestions but we are heading 'around the corner' to have a look at Northern Portugal (allegedly) Having said that, if I had a quid for every change of plan we've made whilst on our way somewhere, let alone in the preplanning stage I'd be a damn sight richer than I am now.

The only thing I'd really like to know is if those pesky bean counters have put up some 3.5T limits on the side roads to the A63. Our cousins seem rather good at that.
Not sure what you mean emmitdb, if there are any weight limits they only apply to commercial vehicles.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for that Frentchy,

Do you mean that those signs I have seen 'Forever' in France banning vehicles over 3.5t, 7.5t, etc. are only for le poids lourd (see what I did there???)
If that's the case, does our 'van which is taxed as Private heavy Goods in the UK (it's 3.7t) come into that category or not?

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Thanks for that Frentchy,

Do you mean that those signs I have seen 'Forever' in France banning vehicles over 3.5t, 7.5t, etc. are only for le poids lourd (see what I did there???)
If that's the case, does our 'van which is taxed as Private heavy Goods in the UK (it's 3.7t) come into that category or not?
If it looks like a camper and is on UK plates then no probs, Its the transit commercial vehicles that the French want off the national roads and on to the Auto routes.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We used the road last year and there were three tolls at €5.30 each and it's a decent straight stretch of motorway standard road. I cannot understand why people will do a detour and spend more on diesel and take longer just to avoid paying.

Mike

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We used the road last year and there were three tolls at €5.30 each and it's a decent straight stretch of motorway standard road. I cannot understand why people will do a detour and spend more on diesel and take longer just to avoid paying.

Mike
Each to his own Mike,
The 'detour' in this case is to a road that runs parallel to the motorway,(and I mean parallel). Add to that you can stop when you want, have a break when you want and not be fleeced into using an identical road that you used three years ago for nothing. As I said. This charge is a Cash Cow and nothing more.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Not sure what you mean emmitdb, if there are any weight limits they only apply to commercial vehicles.

My understanding, unless you can convince me otherwise..
You see 2 types of signs with the 3.5t limit..
The common one with a truck picture meaning it relates to commercial / goods vehicles.
But and especially on the N10 . A63 there is one that depicts a car and the 3.5t, I understand this to be ANY vehicle over 3.5t and that includes motorhomes.. I am always wary along that stretch, my van is 4250kg but looks like any regular 3500kg van...
Previous thread on the subject.. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/no-overtaking-3-5t.95202/

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
My understanding, unless you can convince me otherwise..
You see 2 types of signs with the 3.5t limit..
The common one with a truck picture meaning it relates to commercial / goods vehicles.

But and especially on the N10 . A63 there is one that depicts a car and the 3.5t, I
understand this to be ANY vehicle over 3.5t and that includes motorhomes.. I am always wary along that stretch, my van is 4250kg but looks like any regular 3500kg van...
Previous thread on the subject.. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/no-overtaking-3-5t.95202/
Iv only seen that sign once it was for a very narrow road between two buildings!
The first funster that goes and investigates gets a mars bar!!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I claim my chocolate !!! :)

This is N10 just south of Angloueme....

ps... Can I have a Yorkie instead ??

upload_2015-7-11_9-8-45.png

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
I thought that sign is signifying that vehicles over 3.5 ton are not allowed on the outside lane?

Terry

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I thought that sign is signifying that vehicles over 3.5 ton are not allowed on the outside lane?

Terry

It does as far as I know..
This is in reply to @emmitdb quote above as seeing more of these signs about.
His van, like mine is over 3.5t and so as such cannot overtake on these sections.
There are some that show a truck, the common one, that obviously relates to goods / commercial vehicles..

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have found quite a few towns / villages where they just have a 3.5T sign no pictures of vehicles, I am not risking a fine and always detour

Also the N10 doesn't have a road parallel to it for a lot of its length, the road was just widened, must remember the off and on 18 / 17 if we use the road again, we are class 2 and they want 3 x 15 euros, now go via Pau :)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have found quite a few towns / villages where they just have a 3.5T sign no pictures of vehicles, I am not risking a fine and always detour

Also the N10 doesn't have a road parallel to it for a lot of its length, the road was just widened, must remember the off and on 18 / 17 if we use the road again, we are class 2 and they want 3 x 15 euros, now go via Pau :)

Yes, my understanding is that all vehicles over 3.5T are prohibited from many villages and centre of lots of towns. The national speed limit is also lower if you are over 3.5T.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010

Our van is on 5.9t chassis and must weigh a hell of a lot more when we a re loaded up plus it's quite tall as well. The year before last we were charged €15 odd on this stretch. After reading something on here which said you should press the call button and say 'je suis un camping car'. We tried it this year both going and coming back from Maroc and were only charged the normal €5.30. Result. Tolled it all the way to/from Burgos and avoided the horrendous A roads around the Biarritz area.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Mike
Not sure which part of the A63 you are referring to but the toll fare from Bordeaux to Irun is € 21.90 for a class 2 vehicle. I expect this will rise again in January.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
There is no fast alternative to the A63 that I can see.. went that way at Easter and back via Somport. its about £21? considering the only other toll I pay is A16 toll section towards Rouen personally think its not worth worrying about. Will go via Somport in future as I prefer it (weather permitting)

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Having travelled this road many times in the past 12 years I would say it is definitely worth biting the bullet and paying for. The road network to avoid the tolls is not direct and is slow.

If travelling into Spain then it is worth every penny to pay in my experience, we usually try and avoid tolls but not this section.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back