Mpg Not Complaining, Just What I Found (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
since we had this van I have checked the mpg most times on fill up , and found whatever I did , up mountains , doddleing about, 80 mph on mways, whatever, it was always between 26 and 28 , well on this last trip to France I kept a check on mpg and it was almost uncanny because it just happened 3 times we got to filling stations exactly on 400 miles and put in 60 lts every time which in my calculations comes out at a smidgen over 30 mpg, never gone over 380 miles before needing to fill up ,before we went we changed the oil and fan belt , so don't know if it is different oil or something , otherwise just can't explain it.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
had the same thing - each time we are over there MPG appears to go up, driving 'style' doesn't really change, at least I don't think it does!!

I put it down to less traffic on the roads so less slow down, speed up, slow down etc

Or its just the engine relaxing 'cause its on holiday too

Did once get 80mpg over a 100 miles enroute to Provence along the toll road - was blown away by that, or to be more exact was blown away when we stopped and got out of the van...wed effectively beings ailing ion very strong tail wind!!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I've found this happens too in my car when I've been over there.... Think it is less traffic lights, roundabouts, and traffic, less stress less heavy right foot.?

And I believe sticking around the speed limit helps and I think the fuel is better? Not supermarket stuff...??

Cheap fuel and it go's further!!! Ohh the life... (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
had the same thing - each time we are over there MPG appears to go up, driving 'style' doesn't really change, at least I don't think it does!!

I put it down to less traffic on the roads so less slow down, speed up, slow down etc

Or its just the engine relaxing 'cause its on holiday too

Did once get 80mpg over a 100 miles enroute to Provence along the toll road - was blown away by that, or to be more exact was blown away when we stopped and got out of the van...wed effectively beings ailing ion very strong tail wind!!

Thats because you made me tow you everywhere you bloody tight wad. It wasn't really 80 anyway because I was down to 8mpg.
Bloody Fruitcake :) ;)

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Cos it's got more VAV VAV VOOM in it :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Pretty sure our van can't do 80mph! :D

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All our driving is in France apart from mways here to get there, so no difference there, just don't know what it was, it was b...... Hot , could have something to do with it.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Thats because you made me tow you everywhere you bloody tight wad. It wasn't really 80 anyway because I was down to 8mpg.
arent you supposed to be watching the oven or washing up or something like that?;)

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Hot , could have something to do with it.

Bit like golf balls they fly further in hot weather, and not just because of the way you hit them! On a hottish day I find I can go down a club size. Think the air mass is less dense ? some of the aviators on the site may be able to comment on this phenomena in a more technical way. :)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We get more to the gallon in France too. We think it's the better roads and a more even speed. Add to that cheaper diesel and what's not to like?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Bit like golf balls they fly further in hot weather, and not just because of the way you hit them! On a hottish day I find I can go down a club size. Think the air mass is less dense ? some of the aviators on the site may be able to comment on this phenomena in a more technical way. :)
No other way .Colder the air the denser the charge , the more power you get.
The hotter it is the worse the engine performs. That is why they developed first the turbo charger & then the intercooler for it. Both an improvement over a normally aspirated diesel .

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Colder the air the denser the charge

That is what I was saying but I was working on the van being as aero dynamic as a brick, then there is less air resistance on a hot day ? due to the lower air density.I am sure that is how they explain the golf ball phenomena ?? I understand the engine efficiency thing. Maybe I am clutching at straws. I'm not a physicist :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back