LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Were I’m going to park the MH I will have to bump it up over the kerb, this wont do it any good long term and as its on a partial corner its will be one wheel at a time, this will shake the van and its contents, so I’m thinking of getting some moulded plastic kerb ramps? any body use these at all, and where’s the best place to get them, a Google gives then from£24 to loads of money each?

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just a word of caution.

Footpath construction is often of a standard which is not designed for vehicles - especially large vehicles - being driven across them. If your vehicle causes damage (e.g. cracked paving stones) then the local authority might chase you for the cost of repairs (which happened to a friend of mine).

It might be worth, looking to the long run, investigating the cost of having a dropped kerb and stronger footpath foundations installed.

Graham

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Just a word of caution.

Footpath construction is often of a standard which is not designed for vehicles - especially large vehicles - being driven across them. If your vehicle causes damage (e.g. cracked paving stones) then the local authority might chase you for the cost of repairs (which happened to a friend of mine).

It might be worth, looking to the long run, investigating the cost of having a dropped kerb and stronger footpath foundations installed.

Graham

Yes, that happened to me a few years ago................I had a twin axel ABI Twinstar and managed to crack one of the curb stones...........this was 1989 and they charged me £774.00 to replace it..............bet it would be over a grand now :Eeek:

They said it would have only cost £500 to lower it.....................so where they heck did they get £774.00 for just one curbstone?? maybe it was punishment for going against the authorities?
. :Sad:

Anyhoo............if it's long term storage then it will be better to get it lowered :winky:

Boo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
Hi Sebthegecko it is against the law to run over the public footpath any cables or pipework under the path you could damage which could cost you a fortune i had the same proplem went to the local council they wanted an arm and leg to put me in drop kerbs in the end found out and had the job done by a small builder as long as he has insurance wich they should have by law no proplem good job done at a 3rd of the cost what the local council wanted to charge me all you have to do in the first place is to contact your local council they will send out someone to check that there is no lamposts drains etc from stopping you from having drop kerbs put in if no proplem they will give you the go ahead hope you will find this of some help to you good luck from Tony

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I requested permission for a dropped kerb. It only took 6 weeks to complete from start to finish The cost was approx £600.
I had the choice of using my own contractor or the council's, I chose the council's. My thinking was that although the council's contractors price was double that of a private contractor the council could not come back and order any other work to bring it to their standards.
You do get certain civil rights to as regards people blocking your entrance, so far though all my neighbours have respected the area and it was an improvement I should have made years ago.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
MMMM thats given me something to think about, however I dont think I would get permission to lower the curb becase its next to the corner ( I live in a T shape cull -sac on the end of the long leg next to the cross of the T), as for running over the pavement cables, my drive is next to area where I would be crossing, do they re-enforce the pavment in fornt of the drive area when the houses are constucted?

I could reverse the unit on from my drive entrance and shuffle it over (wont work going forwards not enought room) but then the door will be on the wrong side form my house, I can see I'm going to have think this over again

thanks for input guys

Hi Tony...I remember you form way back on the uk rec camping/carvan forum, you still fitting towbars N trailers

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
as for running over the pavement cables, my drive is next to area where I would be crossing, do they re-enforce the pavment in fornt of the drive area when the houses are constucted?
(snip)

You would have to check with the original builder and/or the council (probably the latter). Could be, though, that the drive has been constructed some time after the house was originally built.

The estate where we live is about 50 to 60 years old. No idea whether any houses had drives originally but there are a number of houses which have had paths converted to drives since we moved here in 1992. At least one has had a drive/parking area constructed on their property but done nothing about having a dropped kerb installed so (unless you know differently) that could be why you have a drive but no dropped kerb.

Graham

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
You would have to check with the original builder and/or the council (probably the latter). Could be, though, that the drive has been constructed some time after the house was originally built.

The estate where we live is about 50 to 60 years old. No idea whether any houses had drives originally but there are a number of houses which have had paths converted to drives since we moved here in 1992. At least one has had a drive/parking area constructed on their property but done nothing about having a dropped kerb installed so (unless you know differently) that could be why you have a drive but no dropped kerb.

Graham

sorry you miss understood, I do have a droped curb to my drive, however I wanted to park the MH on the paved area next to my drive, this area has no droped kerb in front of it, and its outside edge is on the curve of the end of the cul de sac, the drive is not long enought to manover the MH over if drive on front ways ( this would give to door facing my house) however I can reverse it on from the droped kerb entrance and shuffle it over far enought to suit, but that means the door is away from my view and makes loading a bit more dificult. I think this solution will have to suffice, I may put some fencing up to the far side for added security, I allready have cctv covering that area so hopefully all will be ok.

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
We had a similar problem, solution was to cut a couple of lengths of wood and place them below the curb, removing them once the van was in situ, and storing them in the garden.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
sorry you miss understood, I do have a droped curb to my drive, however I wanted to park the MH on the paved area next to my drive, this area has no droped kerb in front of it, and its outside edge is on the curve of the end of the cul de sac, the drive is not long enought to manover the MH over if drive on front ways ( this would give to door facing my house) however I can reverse it on from the droped kerb entrance and shuffle it over far enought to suit, but that means the door is away from my view and makes loading a bit more dificult. I think this solution will have to suffice, I may put some fencing up to the far side for added security, I allready have cctv covering that area so hopefully all will be ok.

Right. Sorry, yes, I did misunderstand.

As it happens we always reverse our vehicles from the road onto the drive as it is so much safer leaving the drive onto the road going forwards.

I suppose security depends on how "risky" the area in which you live is. We park our MH on the drive but off to the side a bit so we can still get the car past to the garage. We don't have gates on the drive at all. The habitation door is on the side away from the house but is prevented from opening far enough to allow entry by an adjacent fence. We can get most things in and out using the cab doors.

Hope you work out something satisfactory.

Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as far as having the footpath re-enforced/relaid, this just doesnt happen in scarborough.

3 years ago i helped my mate/best man construct his blockpaved hardstanding and he got the council to drop the kerb (20ft length)and remove and concrete 2 ft X 20ft of grass verge, (they dropped the neighbours,who dont have a drive or room for one, by mistake:Doh: then they did his)
they didnt do anything to the footpath except repair the damage caused by dropping the kerb and removing the grass verge..cost i believe was around £400......except the neighbour got theirs dropped for nowt:Angry::cry:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Right. Sorry, yes, I did misunderstand.

As it happens we always reverse our vehicles from the road onto the drive as it is so much safer leaving the drive onto the road going forwards.

I suppose security depends on how "risky" the area in which you live is. We park our MH on the drive but off to the side a bit so we can still get the car past to the garage. We don't have gates on the drive at all. The habitation door is on the side away from the house but is prevented from opening far enough to allow entry by an adjacent fence. We can get most things in and out using the cab doors.

Hope you work out something satisfactory.

Graham

our streets very quite but I agree with you its easier to dive off and reverse on, just took her down (MH a shew) to clumber park (not CC site) for a run and had a bbq, was dark we got back so just revsered it on and will move over tomorrow, vans 24 foot and drives ony 28 foot and Ive got a great old tree stump at the crucile bit. But it is working out, and the front wont annoy the neighbours as the back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back