At Last, A Properly Fitted Inverter! (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've owned a few inverters over the years but for the first time in 20 years I've had one fitted properly and what a difference! No more, crocodile clips, trailing wires and extension gangs direct from batteries or ciggy lighter sockets for me. While we were down at VanBitz getting an alarm fitted we decided to get a decent inverter professionally fitted too.

Our first weekend away off grid since then and Sian was over the moon, just turn it on with the nice switch-pad that illuminates to show you it's on; and all the regular sockets work, so we were using the toaster and hairdryers etc (I say we, but you know I'm much more toast that hairdryer) Not only do all the sockets in the van work they are also protected with the inverters own consumer unit. Also If I inadvertently hooked up, or fired my on-board genny up, while the inverter is running then it automatically isolates and no damage is done. Old hat to a lot of you, but for us this is superb (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
won`t that rodger the leisure battery in 5 minutes ?

Not at all, I have a monitor fitted and can see precisely what is leaving the batteries. I have 280AH battery bank and 300watts of solar on the roof, So when it's sunny it doesn't take long to put it back. In fact I checked after the toaster use this Sunday (it was very sunny) this dragged the bank down to 96% approx and was back at 100% in no time. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As the Rolls Royce salesman allegedly once said "if one has to ask the price Sir, one cannot afford it"

One really shouldn't contemplate asking such a question. Surely it's one's butler's job to deal with such matters?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
We are due to pick up our first MH on Saturday and want to fit an inverter so we can stay off-grid but I can still look presentable which involves a hairdryer!

The mh already has one solar panel and we think we need one more plus 2 leisure batteries and a 2000w pure sine inverter. Is that the set-up you have got Jim (or anyone else who has a good working system?)

Where is VanBitz based......I can sense a visit to them quite soon!

Mr Ja63 saw a 5000w pure sine inverter (I think) for sale on the Internet......would that be worthwhile or overkill?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Not at all, I have a monitor fitted and can see precisely what is leaving the batteries.

I told the Mrs the hairdryer was out of the question unless on EHU ! the straighteners are also banned.
Better not let her see this thread ! She`ll be asking difficult questions I won`t know the answer to

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We are due to pick up our first MH on Saturday and want to fit an inverter so we can stay off-grid but I can still look presentable which involves a hairdryer!

The mh already has one solar panel and we think we need one more plus 2 leisure batteries and a 2000w pure sine inverter. Is that the set-up you have got Jim (or anyone else who has a good working system?)

Mr Ja63 saw a 5000w pure sine inverter (I think) for sale on the Internet......would that be worthwhile or overkill?
Make sure you have got the payload to carry that extra weight, its surprising how all these extras soon eat away at your payload.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
@Ja63 - VanBitz is in Taunton, Zummerzet which isn't exactly dead handy for you or us - but they also own Cornish Farm Touring Site - http://www.cornishfarm.com/ - where you can stay before /during/after having the work done - so if you don't want to just get on the M6 and onto the M5 and do both ways in one day - it's a good idea. (Don't book EHU for the night AFTER though so you can test out the handiwork before leaving ! LOL)

The VanBitz info is on the same Link. They do come very highly recommended by anyone who has ever had work done there - and of course - Funsters get discount! Might have to see about an inverter ourselves soon as I'm having a new insulin pump next week and the meter/remote has to be plugged in (probably not every night, but quite frequently) to recharge the battery - and it will be essential to have it ready to go at all times. We don't know yet whether I can charge it on 12v or not. I can't see why you wouldn't - but as they cost thousands - I want to be certain before I try it ! Nobody so far seems to know .........

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

It all depends what you really need. If I were you I would take a couple of shake down trips first to assess that. For instance, there are gas powered hair "appliances" (don't know anything more technical than that) on the market which may mean that a dryer is not actually needed.

We have a 85Ah battery and a 80W panel and the only thing we use an inverter for is to recharge the camera battery (because I never realised when I bought it that it came with only a mains charger). Everything else is powered from the 12v system.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Our new to us van has a built in inverter although it does only have two sockets wires in at the moment. It is behind the control panel so I can't see it to read the specs but I did discover the other day it only has a 10amp fuse to the supply.. no hairdryers for Ms Tigger then....

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Part of the covenant that Lyn, my wife and I have, is that I will provide means for her to use her hairdryer. This is nowadays unspoken, never mentioned or even negotiated.

Once many years ago, we had sold our RV and ordered a replacement and had bought a temporary replacement which we were using to go to a friends place for a party. As usual we were late so decided to overnight in the services.

The look in Lyn's eyes, hair dyer in one hand and the 13amp plug in the other, one eyebrow arched the other normal is a look that I will take to my grave, as will the memory of the cold shoulder I endured driving the three hours to our mates house, with Lyn's hair discovering new directions to point towards.

Men with women that want hairdryers will understand this.:Eeek:

Welcome to the light Jim:welc:

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
My wife must have an industrial strength hairdryer, when it`s switched on the lights in the whole town dim and the National Grid have to alert a standby power station to fire up !
I`m sure the leisure battery wouldn`t stand a chance !

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My new van had it all on when I purchased it. The joy for me is the Nespresso coffee maker and the toaster from home. For Jackie of course it is the hair dryer.

All these years she was quite happy using her gas operated brush or rollers or whatever but there is no going back now. Four solar panels on the roof, replenishing 360 amp hour battery bank just 16 minutes after sunrise is the good value.

On a bright day we have over 20 amps going in, at evening time we switch on the sky box so that SHMBO can watch her precious Wimbledon and I my precious PGA golf. It is even wired for EFOY and just as ARMYTWOWHEELS is blaming me now for her trip to Germany for a new van I in turn blame Mousy for her extravagant exuberance's on her recent purchase.

There ain't no pockets in a shroud Funsters...........

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
jim can I park next to you so Julia can also dry her hair ,sunny in Swansea lol still lol ray

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@Jim I may have missed it since I have skim read the previous posts, but what capacity is the inverter? We are thinking about fitting a 2,000w and wondered if that was sufficient for our needs.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
just a thought jim, say you were on mains with things on pulling 12amps if it went straight to inverter that is then about 150amps. Do you have to turn things off by hand or does it do its own thing to drop some of the load.
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back