Paying For And Importing Used From Germany? (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We are off to see a used van in Germany and as it is right over near the Swiss boarder we will fly. The dealer has offered to pick us up from the airport and promised not to sell the van in the mean time.

Because it is such a long way to go, if we buy it, we will want to drive it home straight away. My question is - how to pay and avoid a big currency conversation charge and for payment to transfer to the dealer the same day so we can drive off with the van.

Also, I believe that as long as the van has the German MOT equivalent and we have insurance cover, we can enter the UK on the exsisting plates and then apply to re- register the van in the UK. Can someone confirm we have this right, or advise otherwise.

P.S Where is @Snowbird these days, he's turned black!!:mask:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
@Judgemental knows a bit as well as @lennyhb
Currency broker would get best rate although all banks offer a good service although rate might be a tad lower. One thing I recall passing recently is that if it is on German plates , which would be unusual from a dealer , The DVLA will not register it without proof that the GErman plates have been returned correctly to the German region.
It will probably have German export plates from a dealer.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The dealer will arrange temp export plates and third party insurance. check!:)

call UK insurer to cover you on VIN plate for once you hit the UK(some do some don't). Check!:)

use a FSA approved broker. check!:)

call DLVA and get the import pack. check!:)

I used EASYFX last time as competitive.

Your problem being how do you arrange this when there. with that I cant help. I would leave a deposit and arrange to transfer money and fly back. or if that's going to cost more then using bank just compare the cost. as its cost versus convenience and are you prepared to take the hit. Really broker/bank needs aranging in advance? but maybe your more set up for mobile banking? just stay in a B&B for a night or two if it comes to it....

what is the van? exciting eh!

Eddie

Lenny currently suning himself on a Thailand beach...grumble..grumble:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
@Judgemental knows a bit as well as @lennyhb
Currency broker would get best rate although all banks offer a good service although rate might be a tad lower. One thing I recall passing recently is that if it is on German plates , which would be unusual from a dealer , The DVLA will not register it without proof that the GErman plates have been returned correctly to the German region.
It will probably have German export plates from a dealer.

In my experience there is no requirement to return the plates as we still have our German plates and have successfully registered our motorhome with the DVLA.
Export plates & third party insurance to the channel port is essential. Once in the UK your UK insurance will take over. We used Safeguard for our insurance, brilliant service (y)
Remember buying is part of the fun, the journey home is also part of the fun so allow plenty of time and enjoy :)

Thanks Antony

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
A couple of years back I imported from S. Ireland (Eire )

We paid via Bank Transfer - if you discuss with the bank first you should get a reasonable rate. Discuss with the dealer - he may actually have a Sterling account and be able to accept direct transfer as Sterling.
Look at the VAT side that would be your first move then once you have the approval number from customs for that you can register with DVLA and they will issue you with UK number plates.
Once you have it in the UK you need to get a MOT done - the MOT tester will do the MOT on the VIN number. As said insurers will insure on the VIN number.
Lots of info on the web on Gov.com worth a Google. Like all things once you have done it its easy - until then it is the unknown - go for it.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Sorry to have missed catching up in Dorset,don't know any of your query's but hope it goes well for you both, with the exchange rate as it is seems like a good time to buy in Europe.(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
In my experience there is no requirement to return the plates as we still have our German plates and have successfully registered our motorhome with the DVLA.
Export plates & third party insurance to the channel port is essential. Once in the UK your UK insurance will take over. We used Safeguard for our insurance, brilliant service (y)
Remember buying is part of the fun, the journey home is also part of the fun so allow plenty of time and enjoy :)

Thanks Antony

have stuck with safeguard for very same reason..so easy to deal with.

plates in Germany belong and are registered to driver not he vehicle. he transfers them to next vehicle. so as said no need to return.

@Broken Link Removed should have mentioned you intentions at meet..I could have bored you to death for the week:)

Last edited:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I always use HiFX(y)
So do I. You can see the rate as you do it and its as fast if not faster than the bank!! Far better rates and NO!!!! Charges.(y)(y)(y)

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
recently bought using HiFX best rates I could find,register first,and if you give them a call when doing the deal they'll talk you through it using your debit card.First thing when you get back get a NOVA reference number .https://www.gov.uk/nova-log-in,use this in your application pack.Get that from here,https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms,best send off for that pack before you go over it takes a few days to arrive.
Have a great time and have a plan B .In case you decide not to buy.Always Haggle :)(y)(y)

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Wow! Thanks for the quick response guys. We are researching your suggestions as I type. Looks like we should be on to fly out this coming Thursday. :clap2:

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Good luck
let us know how you get on as Kim n I are hoping to do the same in September

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
following with great interest as potentially doing the same - but possibly new or nearly new. That said, we were discussing with a well known dealer our intent to get another one soon who said prices for new should be about 10% cheaper next year, and currently being negotiated for next years models now due to the favourable exchange rate

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wow! Thanks for the quick response guys. We are researching your suggestions as I type. Looks like we should be on to fly out this coming Thursday. :clap2:

Good luck, safe journey & I hope all your dreams come true :).

We were really nervous as we bought ours over the internet without seeing it first hand, risky but we were lucky (y)

Thanks Antony

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
@Broken Link Removed should have mentioned you intentions at meet..I could have bored you to death for the week:)

Arrr well, we were only going to venture as far as the Isle of Wight at that time. That van sold before we had the chance to see it. We then saw our dream van at a dealers in Somerset, went to see it to confirm it really was our dream van, then found one the same age and layout in Germany £10,000 cheaper! There isn't another one for sale in the UK or on Mobile.de so off to Germany we must go.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When you see a van advertised on mobile de in Germany , some dealers have on 2nd hand vans price not inc vat. Do they charge vat on 2nd hand vans then , thought vat was only on new stuff. If so is it 20% vat. Cheers

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
We use Transferwise for money transfers (y)
Transferring money regularly from UK to Spain we used to use HIFX, but now use TransferWise - MUCH cheaper and much, much quicker - often appearing in our Spanish bank account the same day!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Thanks Antony
By all accounts the Germans complained that many Brits were returning to the Uk with German registered vehciles complete with plates & then selling them to dealers. This left them liable for the vehicles road tax Until the plates were actually returned to the local council licensing department. By all accounts the dvla agreed that any they re-register have to have had there plates returned & proof provided. No problem if on export plates.
plates in Germany belong and are registered to driver not he vehicle. he transfers them to next vehicle. so as said no need to return.

:)

Yes but if they haven't been physically removed by the owner he has nothing to put on & register to the new vehicle ? You cannot go & get replacements without having the old ones .
Even when we re-registered a German van here that still had its plates on I had to sign that I was personally responsible for them & that once registered I would remove them & return them directly to the old owner so that he could de-register the vehicle in Germany & stop paying the road tax.
To stop being liable for the road tax the plates have to be returned to the local council.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
By all accounts the Germans complained that many Brits were returning to the Uk with German registered vehciles complete with plates & then selling them to dealers. This left them liable for the vehicles road tax Until the plates were actually returned to the local council licensing department. By all accounts the dvla agreed that any they re-register have to have had there plates returned & proof provided. No problem if on export plates.

Yes but if they haven't been physically removed by the owner he has nothing to put on & register to the new vehicle ? You cannot go & get replacements without having the old ones .
Even when we re-registered a German van here that still had its plates on I had to sign that I was personally responsible for them & that once registered I would remove them & return them directly to the old owner so that he could de-register the vehicle in Germany & stop paying the road tax.
To stop being liable for the road tax the plates have to be returned to the local council.

and you normally do that when you pick the van, both go to tax office and you come away with export plates and temp 3rd party insurance. I have never bought privately though.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
When you see a van advertised on mobile de in Germany , some dealers have on 2nd hand vans price not inc vat. Do they charge vat on 2nd hand vans then , thought vat was only on new stuff. If so is it 20% vat. Cheers

van has to be at least 6 months old and covered 6000 miles not not be liable to UK VAT

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Cheers, I was adding vat on everything and thinking where are all the deals people talk about .

remember decent discounts can usually be negotiated over and above advertised rate. Its a lot easier when there are loads of the same mode vans advertised as well

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Army TW

Not sure if it's of any help but we are near 03000 Moulins. If you buy and need help of some form we are nearer than the Channel by a bit and I'm a German speaker too. We travel to Annecy tomorrow and we'll be in Dole, Jura, France on Thursday (yes all work) which although not far from Basle is far enough. If you think it will help to have a near-ish friendly face please feel free to pm for our mobile, we should be back in Moulins on Thursday evening.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
remember decent discounts can usually be negotiated over and above advertised rate. Its a lot easier when there are loads of the same mode vans advertised as well

Eddie, is there VAT in Germany on used campers sold by dealers and if buying privately how do you get export plates?

Thanks

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Question about secondhand vans,, The ones on Mobil De state VAT not refundable so amount is the full selling price + vat at 19% but the UK want their 20% when it comes in if it has less the 6000 miles or less than 6 months old.. Am I correct the VAT is not refundable from Germany so you have to pay twice which you do not on a new vehicle.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I thought you were happy with the b644 ..

what are you looking to buy now ?
We are happy with Dora but would like something a bit bigger. Colin has improved her so much there isn't a lot more for him to do now, he does like a project to work on! He has just got her to the stage to get SVTec to uprate the payload, but we are going to hold off in case a potential buyer doesn't want the extra payload.

We are going to see a Dethleff Esprit tag axel. If we don't like it when we get it home or feel that it is too big for the type of travelling we do, we shall keep Dora and sell on the Dethleffs. After sitting in the one in the UK for a good amount of time (much to the dealers annoyance) we are fairly confidant that we are going to like it and Dora will be up for sale very soon.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Army TW

Not sure if it's of any help but we are near 03000 Moulins. If you buy and need help of some form we are nearer than the Channel by a bit and I'm a German speaker too. We travel to Annecy tomorrow and we'll be in Dole, Jura, France on Thursday (yes all work) which although not far from Basle is far enough. If you think it will help to have a near-ish friendly face please feel free to pm for our mobile, we should be back in Moulins on Thursday evening.

Thank you, that is very kind indeed, PM on it's way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back