Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Altea-Benidorm
Funster No
MH
busy researching now
Exp
sadly none yet
Can anyone tell me which type of system is best - I'm aware of gaslow and autogas, are there more. What's the cost likely to be if I get someone to swap the two bottles and fit the new tank for me? Any advice appreciated.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have gasit, cheaper than Gaslow I believe.

marcus153

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630 Mercedes
Exp
I am looking at the Gasit system at the moment. Looks to be a cheaper option? Like the idea of in cabinet filling so no holes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if your keeping the van or need the extra locker space go for underslung tank if youre likly to be changing the van go for bottles i saved £13 on my last fill

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Autogas2000 do underslung tanks. They are very convenient although we had problems with ours recently but I think that is rare and our experience shouldn't put you off.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am looking at the Gasit system at the moment. Looks to be a cheaper option? Like the idea of in cabinet filling so no holes.
expect to get problems being refused a fill at some places if you put the filler inside the locker

as said, if you are looking at refillable cylinders, Gas-it are much cheaper. it can also be fitted DIY in an hour. takes some serious balls to drill a hole in the side of a brand new motorhome though

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
I have a two bottle system one is gaslow and the second is Alugas. The Alugas is a lightweight bottle with built in gauge with an output to LED display so you can keep on eye on level from the habitation area.
Although the gaslow also has a clip on gauge I found it to be unreliable, having said this it uses the same sender as a Alugas.
When using either type you need to remember that the gauge will read full until the bottle is physically half full and then the gauge starts to work on a prorata scale as shown in attached picture.

What ever you do don't buy one of those refill adaptos o
image.jpg
n eBay and try to fill up a normal bottle, there is no 80% shut off valve in normal bottles. Not that you was going to!

Also As previously mentioned your filling point must be on the outside of the vehicle and not inside a locker for example, this is due to the gas that escapes when removing the nozzle.

It is not permitted to mount an LPG filler inside the boot, nor anywhere else inside the car.

This is because the gas released when removing the filler gun will sink to the lowest part of the body. It will stay there for months or even years (LPG vapour is heavier than Air).

Later, it could be that someone were to change a battery, connect up jump leads or make a spark in other ways and BOOM!

Many pleasure boats have been destroyed this way, any escaped gas will lurk in the bilges just waiting for a spark or flame.

The LPG filler MUST go on the outside of the vehicle.

Calor warns about unlawful filling of LPG cylinders at Autogas refuelling sites
Posted on: Monday, August 19, 2013 by Andrew White
This entry was posted in Broken Link Removed. Bookmark the Broken Link Removed.

Calor Gas Limited has issued a safety warning following reports of unlawful and dangerous filling of its portable LPG cylinders at self-service Autogas refuelling sites.
Highly dangerous

Calor has become aware of increasing numbers of people using adaptors to fill LPG cylinders from Autogas dispensers. This practice is not only unlawful but also highly dangerous as there is a strong probability of leaks occurring and cylinders being overfilled.

The filling of LPG cylinders is potentially an extremely hazardous activity, and safe filling requires appropriate expertise and training of operators, use of certified equipment, safe working procedures and a safe environment. Automotive LPG filling stations incorporate safety measures to ensure the safe refuelling of vehicles but they do not include all of the necessary safety elements required for filling LPG cylinders. Furthermore, commercial LPG is supplied in two forms – propane and butane – and filling a cylinder with the wrong type of LPG can lead to serious appliance malfunction and can cause safety devices to fail.

Members of the public who refill LPG cylinders using Autogas refuelling equipment not only create a serious risk to their own safety and the safety of others, but are also contravening UK Health and Safety Regulations, Weights and Measures Regulations and Consumer Safety legislation. These Regulations impose important legal duties on the site operator to ensure the safety of both their employees and members of the public. In the event of an accident as a result of this type of activity, the site operator could be liable to prosecution. Calor is therefore urging Autogas refuelling site operators to be vigilant and take appropriate action to prevent the unlawful and potentially dangerous re-filling cylinders in this manner.

Dr Terry Ritter, Calor’s Head of Health and Safety said “The public might think it is an easy and convenient way to top up a cylinder, but they are actually putting themselves and others at risk of serious injury or even death. Calor has taken successful court action against individuals for unauthorised filling and will continue to do so.”

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
We have gaslow fitted by Vanbitz, no problem refilling in France, Germany or the Netherlands using the European adapters we bought. But, we found that most service stations will provide you with an adapter for use when you fill up.
The continental adapters cost an arm and a leg, but, we are very pleased with our set up and have had no problems (touch wood).

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Since 2007 I have been refused 3 times. Once in UK once in Italy and once in France each time it was because it was for domestic use and not for propulsion. The UK station said they didn't have the staff trained to recognise the different types of bottle being filled so they decided to refuse ALL campervans. The Italian station refused saying it was not for cooking and the French station switched the pump off, as I lifted the filler hose. I have an external filler on the skirt to an 85 litre nominal (68 litre actual) tank.

We are full timing, so use on average 1100 litres per year. That equates to a lot of bottles and is the reason we have an under-slung tank. We get this and the mountings checked out every year at Autogas2000. A tank of gas lasts us about 3 to 4 weeks. Less if I also use the LPG generator during the winter (December & January in Spain).

I am there next week, as I have noticed a bleed back through the filler after filling. Not just the normal but a slow vapour escape and drops condensing around the filler. This I have sorted temporally by using the Spanish adaptor with non return valve, after removing the UK one, for a run after filling. The movement of the vehicle seems to seat the tank valve, so I can then remove that adaptor and put the cap back over the filling point. This happened twice but not after the last fill.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I am there next week, as I have noticed a bleed back through the filler after filling. Not just the normal but a slow vapour escape and drops condensing around the filler. This I have sorted temporally by using the Spanish adaptor with non return valve, after removing the UK one, for a run after filling. The movement of the vehicle seems to seat the tank valve, so I can then remove that adaptor and put the cap back over the filling point. This happened twice but not after the last fill.

by no means no expert so wait for someone else.. but my take is:

the bottle should have a non return valve anyway. all you are seeing is gas that is in the fill hose. can be a bit alarming as there can be a fair bit in there and this the only high pressure part of system.....But sounds like it just needs tightening or maybe replacing. I would loosen it, let gas escape then tighten. if it happens again repeat and replace fill hose

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Since 2007 I have been refused 3 times. Once in UK once in Italy and once in France each time it was because it was for domestic use and not for propulsion. The UK station said they didn't have the staff trained to recognise the different types of bottle being filled so they decided to refuse ALL campervans. The Italian station refused saying it was not for cooking and the French station switched the pump off, as I lifted the filler hose. I have an external filler on the skirt to an 85 litre nominal (68 litre actual) tank.

So far I have not been refused in the UK, I have found the attached file on the uklpg.org website. I have printed it off and placed it in the gas locker along with the gas service log and warranty, so if there is ever a problem I can get it out and show them what the industry regulations state.
Hope it is of use to others as well

Attachments

• DOC4E7749E87E660.pdf
    100.3 KB · Views: 85

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So far I have not been refused in the UK, I have found the attached file on the uklpg.org website. I have printed it off and placed it in the gas locker along with the gas service log and warranty, so if there is ever a problem I can get it out and show them what the industry regulations state.
Hope it is of use to others as well
Thanks for that. I have a copy of the Alugas documents in the van but that will be a useful addition.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
by no means no expert so wait for someone else.. but my take is:

the bottle should have a non return valve anyway. all you are seeing is gas that is in the fill hose. can be a bit alarming as there can be a fair bit in there and this the only high pressure part of system.....But sounds like it just needs tightening or maybe replacing. I would loosen it, let gas escape then tighten. if it happens again repeat and replace fill hose

Hi Judgemental No it is more than what is just what was in the pipe. I put the non return valve Spanish adapter in place after I undid the UK one and the pressure built up. So it is a leak from the non return valve in the tank. I ran about 10 miles and removed the Spanish adapter again and there was the normal sudden rush and no more. I contacted Chris at Autogas2000 and arranged to go there for them to take the non return out of the under slung tank, it's not a bottle tank. To do this they need an empty or as near as possible empty tank, as possible as they would have to flair off any remainder. There is no leak back at present.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
re fitting filler inside locker, comment referencing boot / car does not apply to a suitably base vented storage locker for LPG on a motorhome. System suppliers are clearly advocating this location and supplying suitable mounting brackets.
Anyone know of a regulation / code of practice saying otherwise.

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
My fill point is inside a locker. It is in the GAS LOCKER. The clue is in the name.

All gas lockers have to be suitably vented.

Internal fill points and brackets are marketed by the leading suppliers and guidance is given relating to appropriate siting so it is misleading and ill informed for some contributors to 'Fun' to say that internal fill points are a 'No No'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back