Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
I dropped my MH off this morning for a habitation check and a few hours later was told that my gas regulator is too low and that under a new regulation that came in late last year, it now has to be above the cylinders. Needless to say this will cost to have it moved otherwise the dealer will fail the gas system. According to the mechanic all MH's with low regulators will have to have them raised or they will fail. Has anyone come across this new regulation or did I blink when it was announced?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ball sh*t, it is only a recommendation. If you have a Truma bulk head regulator it is good advice, lowers the risk of ghe regulator gumming up.

OP
OP
English Springer

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
Ball sh*t, it is only a recommendation. If you have a Truma bulk head regulator it is good advice, lowers the risk of ghe regulator gumming up.

Thanks for the reply Lenny. I'm not sure if I have a Truma or not so have had to bite the bullet a give the go ahead. I bought the MH from a cowboy dealer 3 yrs ago so am getting the check done by (what I think is) a more reputable dealer but its time like this that leaves a bitter taste in the mouth and a sense of pessimism.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Even if the regulations have changed I would be surprised if it was retrospective.

OP
OP
English Springer

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
Fail what, a hab check that's not legally binding and that you yourself are paying for

So let him fail it. It doesn't mean anything on a MH

Even if the regulations have changed I would be surprised if it was retrospective

I'm getting the impression that a lot of these dealers went on the same training course on how to get more money out of the customer, or am I too cynical:think:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I am unaware of this new regulation but most regulations are not enforced retrospectively in my experience.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Whoever the dealer is I think we'd like to know but I would insist that they evidence their claim
Has to be and recommended are two very different scenarios
One costs you whatever they feel like charging you the other only costs a pinch of salt

Last edited:

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I'm getting the impression that a lot of these dealers went on the same training course on how to get more money out of the customer, or am I too cynical:think:
I assume you will not be taking your vehicle to that dealer for an MOT :(

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
they also tried to say that stainless pipes would stop blockages before they tried to sell you a filter

OP
OP
English Springer

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Interesting article. I have a 2007 MH and had 2 x Gaslow tanks fitted 3 years ago when I bought it and would have expected that the regulator and fittings would have been fitted correctly but then again some wishful thinking.:whistle2:

Who's to say they aren't fitted correctly?

The last time I checked the editor of the Caravan Club magazine wasn't the person who announces new gas regs.

Also the point of that article is that someone at the NCC had decided that your regulator is less likely to become blocked if it's mounted high up. That's it. No reference to it being a safety issue. No supporting evidence for the points they did make.

They were probably short of an article that month.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
There is no regulation that I am aware of regarding regulator height. In fact all motorhomes are EXEMPT from gas regs unless rented out in the course of a business. I have yet to see a motorhome whose gas system meets the full requirements of gas regs in UK! How can a motorhome "fail" an inspection? It isn't a test like the MOT is.

D.

OP
OP
English Springer

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
There is no regulation that I am aware of regarding regulator height. In fact all motorhomes are EXEMPT

As a MH service company I'm sure you would would have known if there was a new regulation.
I'm now totally convinced that I've been had. I was going to get the dealer to rectify a water ingress issue that I know I have and possibly get a quote on doing a p/ex for a younger model or even a brand new one but they have now shot themselves in the foot.
Can anyone recommend a 'honest' dealer/techie in the Bucks/Berks area that could deal with a water ingress issue?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back