Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Guys
I'm hiring a motorhome for our first time in mid May and heading of for six days to the west coast of scotland and will be touring around rather than staying in one place, my first question is; do you think I will have to book sites ahead or will we have the freedome to just turn up???? Thing is, being our first time Ive no idea how far we will get in a day looking at all the sights so forth and so on.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Wizzer59.

We tend to go a little earlier than you will be going, but we never book in advance. There are plenty of sites in Scotland normally of reasonable quality and price and you can normally just turn up, you will get in somewhere. A good map of sites can be obtained from visit Scotland web site below:winky:

Scottish Tourist Board - accommodation, activities, events and holidays in Scotland

They do a good site map if its not on the web page give them a ring well worth it for free.
Do not know how sites will be this year as people don't seem to be going abroad so much so may be busier, you can always do as we do find out where you think you are going to be and phone ahead,and act accordingly.

Just enjoy

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Wizzer,
Having just returned, the west coast is ideal a starting point. Lots of sites, try Sands near Gairloch and Clachtoll beach to name a couple. Ive just updated my blog showing where we went.

great place to visit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Dumfries & Galloway Council run three sites which aren't in the Visit Scotland list.

We used to camp at Link Removed in Kirkcudbright in tents in the 1980s so took our van there on our first trip out in 2006. It's on the hill overlooking the town but the hill isn't steep enough to cause a problem driving.

We had previously tried Brighouse Bay (1980) but found Silvercraigs much more convenient.

Graham

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi
Thanks for all the info guys that has answered my question perfectly, next one is what normaly sends you hotfoot to the nearest site when you are wildcamping, fresh water or dirty water, or to put it another way, what runs out first on average?:Smile:

Tim

Upvote 0

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
I guess the only thing to remember regarding booking in May is that there is a half term holiday for the school kids in there.

Not sure if Scottish dates are the same as in England though.

Upvote 0

shifter

Free Member
Jan 18, 2009
wee island across pond NI
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
3 years
Hi
Thanks for all the info guys that has answered my question perfectly, next one is what normaly sends you hotfoot to the nearest site when you are wildcamping, fresh water or dirty water, or to put it another way, what runs out first on average?:Smile:

Tim

it depends on howmuch you consume eg if you drink alot of tea/coffe.otherwords when your fresh is empty your waste will be full.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
it depends on howmuch you consume eg if you drink alot of tea/coffe.otherwords when your fresh is empty your waste will be full.

Hi shifter

Of course never thought of that:Confused:
Thanks for that, what about toilet waste?

Tim

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
The easiest way with toilet waste and all outher waste is to stay at a site every few days, empty waste and fill up with water. You will soon know how often you will need to stop at a site.:thumb:

Enjoy

Dave:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
The easiest way with toilet waste and all outher waste is to stay at a site every few days, empty waste and fill up with water. You will soon know how often you will need to stop at a site.:thumb:

Enjoy

Dave:thumb:

Hi Dave
Thanks for that, guess its like everything no substitute for experience eh:winky:

Tim

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back