Mosquito Repellent And Itch Soother (1 Viewer)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Last night, really desperate to soothe several very itchy bites, I rubbed on some of the Tiger Balm that I use on aching joints. It stopped the itch immediately and the bites have not been itchy all day.

I've just checked on Google and it seems that Tiger Balm is a recognised repellant and soother all over the world.

It's not cheap but a small jar from Boots lasts a very long time. Poundshop have a sort of version, called Oriental Balm, at 2 jars for £1 but I don' t know if that has the same effect on bites or insects. It's not so good on joints.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
When we were riding our motorbike through Malaysia and Thailand Tiger Balm was the locals first choice for mosquito bites.
Our thinking as always if its good enough for the locals its good enough for us now keep a small pot in our travel kit

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
There are two different colours of Tiger Balm red and white. The red is for muscular aches and pains and white for headaches. Both work well in bites, it has menthol and camphor which helps cool the site!
Brilliant stuff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
When we were riding our motorbike through Malaysia and Thailand Tiger Balm was the locals first choice for mosquito bites.
Our thinking as always if its good enough for the locals its good enough for us now keep a small pot in our travel kit
Yes, we found the same.
We bought back a couple of jars ;)

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
There are two different colours of Tiger Balm red and white. The red is for muscular aches and pains and white for headaches. Both work well in bites, it has menthol and camphor which helps cool the site!
Brilliant stuff

Ah ! That explains it. The red I knew about and that' s what I bought from Boots. The Poundshop Oriental Balm looks like the white stuff. I' ll use that on bites at 50p per pot.

Thanks...

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The ultimate shooer away, cure for itch from bites and will protect you from Mozzies, any other biting, blood sucking creatures, Leeches YEH! even Tiger Leeches and has been known to turn you into johnny no mates, Yes it even frightens the Mother in Law (y)

Chew a couple of cigarettes:Eeek: and smear the resulting mess over any exposed skin:rolleyes:

(y)(y) Way to go Funster:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Chew a couple of cigarettes:Eeek: and smear the resulting mess over any exposed skin:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

My grandfather, whose garden was second to none, used to use only his own insecticide made from cigarette butts and coffee grounds soaked in a bucket of water until needed and then sprayed on his crops and flowerbeds with a stirrup pump. Cost him nothing but funny looks when he cleared out ashtrays etc ( he was not a smoker).

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
We use Avon Skin so soft ,supposed to be a moisturiser but has been found to keep the bugs away . The forces are supposed to us it ,could be just an urban myth though ,some campsites in midge prown areas sell in there wardens offices / shops .
To stop the itching after being bitten we use Witch Doctor or Tiger Balm.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
To stop the itching I use a 'Zap-It', just google the name. Works a treat.

Oct 25, 2014
Salford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic 5.0i
Exp
Since 2015
Vicks is our No 1 choice✔️.....read up on line, about all the other qualities it boasts!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
agree about vics vapourub on bites, but locals here, especially horse riders in the new forest, coat exposed skin with vinegar as a repellent for biting bugs

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tiger balm is made by a subsidiary of SSL which is part of the Scholl / Marigold / Durex group !
Only reason I know this is cos when I was at Durex we were often given the stuff free :)
Oh, and eventually I dodged a bullet as they wanted someone to go over there ( Malaysia from memory ) to head up a major IT rollout ..
I side stepped that one quite nicely !!!

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I use a Aspivin vacuum pump which draws out the chemicals that cause the itching.
Can be used to stop itching a day after.

Works for me and the SAS and Foreign Legion!!!!!!!!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Heat up a spoon in hot water and place it onto the bite as hot as you can bear it this will take out the itch immediately no more itching for the cost of a cup of hot water

If you want an electronic gizzmo to do much the same thing, the German-made 'Bite Away' does a pretty good job. Never travel without it now. Check out the Amazon reviews:

Amazon product ASIN B003CMKQTS

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back