Excited Is Not The Word ....... (1 Viewer)

Jun 9, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Malibu T500
Exp
Since 2014
but it will have to do! As relative newbies we have just booked our Chunnel crossing and are really more than excited! Our first trip to France in The motorhome and we are taking the dog as well! Off to Normandy as our starter for what we hope will eventually encompass the whole of Europe over the next few years! We want to spend a good few days at each of our stopping places ( there for just over 2 weeks) so would really welcome any recommendations for campsites from all you well travelled and experienced ( in motor homing!) members! Thank you!

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
:cheers:I can remember being that excited 2 years ago for our first crossing and I feel like an old timer already. You will have a fab time, enjoy it and just go with the flow. I have a campsite tab on my blog of all the places we have stayed at if that's any help.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Enjoy the excitement, you have earned it!

There is so much to see within Europe. Don't be afraid to divert from your original plan if you see somewhere interesting en route.

On our first major trip we were full of plans but each place we went people asked us "have you been to"...? We then visited the places recommended which was great. The following year we decided to visit the places we missed first time.

But that's another story........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Not long came home from our first venture over the ditch, we had three weeks which now just seems like a weekend, time just flies ! My reflections are that there are various ways of approaching a mini tour. Either tour ie. a night here, two nights there and so on, arriving at your turning point and more of the same on your return leg. That is great and what we did, but you waste a fair amount of time, finding, setting up, servicing the van etc, then you pack up, re-derattle proof everything. In the end we got to feel a bit weary of the ritual. Perhaps you and I believe many do love that routine. However next time we resolve to blitz the main distance bit, get to an area (like you have chosen Normandy) which you/we may want to explore in more detail, move, perhaps as many times, but much shorter moves hence perhaps not needing to stow things away so well etc. but utilising the useable parts of the days better, ie more golf, more fishing, loading up with wine, then drinking it ! :whistle:
Just my personal thoughts, Have a great trip. (y)
Oh ! we didn't book anywhere, just used "Campercontact" when we got somewhere, had a cup of tea, then sat nav'ed to the aire/site, sometimes just found somewhere to tuck the vans butt in.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We are just back from 2 weeks in Normandy we travelled up as far as St Mere Eglise stopping on a mixture of aires and campsites.
The campsite in Arromanches is worth a couple of days stay. Can also reccomended the aires at Neufchâtel en Bray St Valery en Caux and Le Crotoy.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Don't forget to get the dog done more than 24 hrs but less than 12o hrs before travelling back from France. Expect to pay approx. €30 to the vet.
Roryboys Dad has a blog on here of vets, prices and locations.

OP
OP
Borisski
Jun 9, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Malibu T500
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you - will look up. One of the main reasons for buying our motorhome was so that Freddie, our collie, could holiday with us.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Been a week back from our first 3 week trip to france as well and we wild camped most of the time, but did use a few Aires and 3 camp sites, unfortunatly none of them are any good for you but all I did when I needed one was do a search on my iphone and the nearest ones would be shown on a map along with there websites and details(y)

Have a great trip guys, unlike here France loves Motorhomes;)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thank you - will look up. One of the main reasons for buying our motorhome was so that Freddie, our collie, could holiday with us.

We have two dogs and the worming cost us 66 euros, but besides the passport being stamped it also included a full examination and a health certificate for each dog, we just walked in off the street and we were done and dusted in half an hour, we were very impressed(y) of course the dogs were less so:D

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Enjoy your trip. We move on every day or so and are ready in 10 mins tops. There's no need to empty your wast e water and toilet every day and a full tank of fresh water will also last you for several days so only do it when necessary. (We find it's best done on arrival when you have plenty of time.) Apart from putting the kettle in the sink and closing the lid, we have nothing to "pack up" and closing windows, putting off the gas, checking all cupboard buttons are in, turning the cab seats round and switching the fridge over to battery really does take less than ten minutes. Happy travelling!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We stayed here earlier this year and really liked it. It is right by a small river and within 5 minutes walk of the town with several bars, shops and restaurants.
http://www.campinglesbergesdeliton.com/
Breteuil 090415 (4).JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back