Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Everyone
My names Tim and I'm 50 and me and me misses (Jen) are just about to have a dabble at Motorhoming for the first time in mid May, we are hiring a Compass Rambler 180 and doing six days touring around scotland to see if we like it, mainly the west coast.

This is our first time so we will of course be asking a lot of questions so any advice would be much appreciated.

The first question I have is, is it worth us joining either of the big clubs? bearing in mind it might be just for the six days as yet.

Tim

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Hi Everyone
My names Tim and I'm 50 and me and me misses (Jen) are just about to have a dabble at Motorhoming for the first time in mid May, we are hiring a Compass Rambler 180 and doing six days touring around scotland to see if we like it, mainly the west coast.

This is our first time so we will of course be asking a lot of questions so any advice would be much appreciated.

The first question I have is, is it worth us joining either of the big clubs? bearing in mind it might be just for the six days as yet.

Tim
Wouldn't bother personally. Suck it and see first, welcome anyway and you,ve made a good choice for your first trip. :thumb::thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Welcome to the site....the west coast of Scotland is one of the best places to take a motorhome.....wilding is the easiest thing to do...you must visit Shieldaig and Applecross..go on to the google earth and look at all the beaches you can stay on for free.Just make sure that you have plenty of food and water and grog because some places (the best ones !) are a bit remote..If you had more time then a trip onto the Isle of Lewis is a must.....:thumb:Go to the forums section on the left hand side and look at the Scotland section..:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Wow that was quick, thanks Guys, got a funny feeling Applecross is gonna be busy this year what with whatsisface (got a terrible memory) on telly, but yes it does look rather nice and was one of the places we wanted to go too, do I carry on asking questions here or should I go to the beginners section?

Thanks again for the nice welcome:Smile:

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
Hi Tim & Jen
The West coast of Scotland is my favourite place but remember to take some midge repellant the Avon Skin so Soft range is pretty good, either the dry body oil or the replenishing lotion and it smells a heck of lot better than jungle formula .
I like wild camping but I use club sites when I need to top up on water, empty the toilet and have a good shower etc, a lot of the club sites do take non members albeit at a slightly higher charge, so enjoy yourselves and have a great time.

John.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Wow that was quick, thanks Guys, got a funny feeling Applecross is gonna be busy this year what with whatsisface (got a terrible memory) on telly, but yes it does look rather nice and was one of the places we wanted to go too, do I carry on asking questions here or should I go to the beginners section?

Thanks again for the nice welcome:Smile:

You can search for your questions at the top of the page but failing that then get busy with ya fingers and get some threads started ;)
There is catagories for most posts.

Enjoy

Boo

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Tim & Jen
The West coast of Scotland is my favourite place but remember to take some midge repellant the Avon Skin so Soft range is pretty good, either the dry body oil or the replenishing lotion and it smells a heck of lot better than jungle formula .
I like wild camping but I use club sites when I need to top up on water, empty the toilet and have a good shower etc, a lot of the club sites do take non members albeit at a slightly higher charge, so enjoy yourselves and have a great time.

John.

Thanks for the welcome and info guys

Hi John

Thanks for that, will the midges be a problem in May? I thought they were a problem later in the year about August.
I think we will be staying in sites most of the time (but would like to try wild camping a couple of nights) which brings me to my next question, do you think I will have to book all my sites before hand or should I be ok in May?

Tim

PS Ive just found the thank you tab

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Tim:thumb::welcome:

Yes the midges could be around in may. We were in Scotland in early may last year and they were around then. It depends on the weather, was talking to friends who live in Scotland and they said they seem to be around a lot more , global warming I expect. Well you have to blame something.:whatthe:

I was told don't kill one as millions come to the funeral.:Eeek:

Hope they don't apear as we are off to Scotland soon.

Don't worry just enjoy.

Dave

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Tim:thumb::welcome:

Yes the midges could be around in may. We were in Scotland in early may last year and they were around then. It depends on the weather, was talking to friends who live in Scotland and they said they seem to be around a lot more , global warming I expect. Well you have to blame something.:whatthe:

I was told don't kill one as millions come to the funeral.:Eeek:

Hope they don't apear as we are off to Scotland soon.

Don't worry just enjoy.

Dave

Hi Dave
Thanks for that, hope they stay away as I can just about stand them but other half:cry: will insist we go south:Doh: Ah well just have to see, hope you have a good trip:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

No......don't bother joining any club at all.

Firstly as you are touring Scotland, you are in one of the best areas to 'wild camp' and possibly won't even need to go on a site in the short time you have.

You have selected one of my favourite areas to tour but i'm wondering if you realise just how big Scotland is? It's a large country and there is a heck of a lot to see.....six days isn't really enough.

However, depending on where you are picking up the motorhome, you might just make it up to Cape Wrath (most north westerly point in Britain) and well worth a visit just to see the cliffs! Try 'hugging' the coastline where you can as there are some pretty dramatic views and scenery. From Durness head east to Bettyhill and take the B871 road.....this is the most remote area on mainland UK. I parked up there in a passing place (something you wouldn't normally do anywhere else), for almost an hour and had a brew and something to eat......no other vehicle ever came along!

Have a good trip. :thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Bulletguy.:thumb:

I can remember when we started visiting the north west of Scotland we used to leave Ullapool in the morning, and not see any traffic or people all the way up to Durness, and that was the main road. We once saw 2 cars together and the remark was must be rush hour.:whatthe: Its not so deserted now but still great:thumb:

Scotland is still a great place to visit,views :Eeek: mind blowing.

Dave

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Agree. I had some fantastic times up there. Amazing scenery.

Last time i was 'up that way' was to catch the ferry from Ullapool over to the Outer Hebrides......a life long ambition finally realised!

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
No......don't bother joining any club at all.

Firstly as you are touring Scotland, you are in one of the best areas to 'wild camp' and possibly won't even need to go on a site in the short time you have.

You have selected one of my favourite areas to tour but i'm wondering if you realise just how big Scotland is? It's a large country and there is a heck of a lot to see.....six days isn't really enough.

However, depending on where you are picking up the motorhome, you might just make it up to Cape Wrath (most north westerly point in Britain) and well worth a visit just to see the cliffs! Try 'hugging' the coastline where you can as there are some pretty dramatic views and scenery. From Durness head east to Bettyhill and take the B871 road.....this is the most remote area on mainland UK. I parked up there in a passing place (something you wouldn't normally do anywhere else), for almost an hour and had a brew and something to eat......no other vehicle ever came along!

Have a good trip. :thumb:

Hi Bulletguy
I agree six days aint nearly enough but as I'm hiring and don't own it thats all we've got I'm afraid but basically we want to see as much of the remotest bits as we can in the time allowed and hugging the coast for as long as I can is what I intended to do, we are based in mid wales and hiring from West midland motorhome hire in Kidderminister so should'nt take us to long to get there.

Tim

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Bulletguy.

That is something I always intend to do, but you know Scotland I only manage 2 trips a year of 6/7 weeks at a time and somehow the time just flies. After visiting for many years we have gained friends all over Scotland and like to visit them also.

Dave:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back