Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi looking for a bit of advice ,How, or is there a method for fitting new gas struts to either side of our Rapido drop down bed.I assume it must be a two man job ,as a motorhome supplier quoted, £86 per hr possible 1.5 to 2 hrs! .any advice would be welcome .Cheers.H

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Done a couple of Hymers in the past and it is a 2 man job really, though with a bit of planning it can be done by one person.

It is a DIY job and with care and a bit of forward planning, not too difficult.

:cooler:

OP
OP
treetops1

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Thanks mariner ,i can get the extra man ,can you give me an idea on method,what do you release first ect.Cheers.H

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've replaced them on a couple of vans. If you can lift the bed so there's no load on the struts (and you normally can) the easiest one-man method is to cut a couple of lengths of wood that will prop the bed slightly higher than its usual resting place. Also tighten the safety strap. Check that the struts are not under pressure, remove, and replace with new ones.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Did mine recently just support the bed a little and do one side at a time. Be prepared to skin a knuckle or two.Its not difficult but very fiddly. Now I've done it once I could do both in less than hour on my own.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Did it by myself, on a G reg Pilote A class, posted how to do it on here.
It's still here somewhere, JJ found it recently to do his.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Replaced mine recently, looked up as many posts as I could including above but I think you must have more room on the hymers than Rapido. I ended up taking it to small Coachworks locally and they managed to fit them. At least two man job , they managed to undo the one end(which is no problem if they've gone) and one end of the large diagonal support and used this as a lever , after attaching one end to compress to attach to other end. In fact they (and me) used the lever method to detach the one that still had pressure. When levering one person was outside the door/window pulling down. Hope this makes sense! Good luck if trying yourself but if you could find small garage/Coachworks to help mine cost less than half of one of your hourly rate quoted.

OP
OP
treetops1

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Thanks for all the great advice gents .I have had a quick look and it looks very tight ,not a lot of room either side but will try Thurs/Fri and not one to give in easy so will keep you all posted .H

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for all the great advice gents .I have had a quick look and it looks very tight ,not a lot of room either side but will try Thurs/Fri and not one to give in easy so will keep you all posted .H
Would it be best to get replacements before you take the old ones off, then when in there! You can fit new ones.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Thanks mariner ,i can get the extra man ,can you give me an idea on method,what do you release first ect.Cheers.H

Sorry for not replying had to go out.

It's pretty much as has been said. You can remove the split pins (that is how the Hymer ones where held onto the post) or lock nuts if held that way, from the bottom part of the strut whilst the bed is down.
Don't try to take it off though.
The mattress needs to be off the bed.

Raise and prop or hold the bed as high as it will go. Reach round and pop the bottom of the struts off their posts.

Lower the bed again and with a board to spread your weight on the lattes get on the bed and remove both struts.

Fasten and lock the new struts to the top posts and raise the bed as high as it will go. Reach up and fix the bottom of the struts to their posts.
Lower the bed again refit split pins or lock nuts, if you haven't already done so.

Job done!

When the bed is in it's highest position the struts should be relaxed, if not, then you have not got the bed high enough, and it can't be done with the mattress on.
Like every job with tension struts or springs proceed with caution.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Just wondering if anyone has done Mariners method on a Rapido rather than Hymer because it does look 'impossible' on Rapido.if you can it would be easier than my lever method.

OP
OP
treetops1

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi mariner,that explains it very well, just waiting for it to cool down a bit then i will give it a go.cheers.H

OP
OP
treetops1

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi all. Rapphil is right it does look impossible ,there is no access from the outside and inside its very tight ,the strut is right at the top but when it cools down i will give it a go .The sun must be effecting me i am actually looking forward to it lol

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Ours went when we were inFrance at Easter but luckily we had the adjustable washing line props with us that you use for the side Windblockers. If you have them they will help.

OP
OP
treetops1

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi Rapphil ,Great mind think alike lol.yes got a couple of those but the bed feels very heavy without the struts working, so i intend to prop with timber to be sure there is no slippage while i work on it.cheers.H

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Hi Rapphil ,Great mind think alike lol.yes got a couple of those but the bed feels very heavy without the struts working, so i intend to prop with timber to be sure there is no slippage while i work on it.cheers.H

When the bed is down, it is not the struts that hold it, it's the mechanism, so you don't really need to prop it.
Propping it when it's up is a good idea, as well as your mate holding it, as the last thing you want, is it falling whilst you reach up the side.

PS. Whilst you have the side curtains off, check the tightness of the nuts holding the mechanism. They are supposed to do it, every year on the habitation service, but most don't as it's a pain to do with all the curtains fixed.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Props only needed if you can do it by Mariners method, which would be easier.
Just had a look at mine and they detached the thinner bar going across the top and the used the front thick bar as a lever.when you detach lower end of this bar you need a good anchor man to hold on to bottom end as if pressure in strut will want to rise. Second person outside door or window seemed best. Reverse for fitting. Good Luck!

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Leave the back of the front seats up it will rest on them. As you say I could not believe the effort to raise but someone said as well as weight of bed you are now working against the struts?
We wait with baited breath!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back