Scotland....midges. (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Just back from a couple of months round Italy and a variety of itchy bites from the lakes via Naples to Florence. Even our tropical strength sprays seemed barely effective. Now we find ourselves, unusually, in the UK for July and are thinking about a quick 3/4 weeks to Scotland.... Highlands and the odd Island. Am aware that Scotland has a significant population of whining irritating wildlife but am more concerned about midges. Just how bad is it in July around lochs and along the west coast? o_Oo_Oo_O

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Can be bad, depends on the weather.

Smidge is my preferred option lasts longer and is more effective than Avon so soft. We also fit midge nets to all the windows that we like to have open. Evenings spent surrounded by citronella candles and joss sticks, usually work fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Bad.
Pray for wind.
Use SMIDGE.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Been there, it can be fine during the day especially if there is a breeze but still evenings can be difficult! I would recommend Smidge over anything else. You can buy it locally in places like Fort William* or on line before you go.

If it gets too difficult just head to the east coast. Plenty to see there if you look.

*bit of a hint that.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Been there, it can be fine during the day especially if there is a breeze but still evenings can be difficult! I would recommend Smidge over anything else. You can buy it locally in places like Fort William* or on line before you go.

If it gets too difficult just head to the east coast. Plenty to see there if you look.

*bit of a hint that.
Fort William on the agenda already and Kyle and Applecross. Haven"t been up there since 1975.
Seem to remember (barely) relying on joss sticks and other chemicals then!
Where can I get midge nets?

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Where can I get midge nets

We buy the midge net material from :

http://www.midgie.net/netting.htm

Only takes a couple of days to be delivered, you need to work out how to attach, we use elastic edging and hooks for the vents and non slip tape for the windows. Best fit is velcro but we do not like how it looks.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
You can of course get the full body version if you want to be ultra-modern fashionistas :LOL:
2XL---Pants---Mosquito-net-bug-5744762.jpg

But seriously, when I've used a head net I've had to wear it over a hat otherwise I feel really claustrophobic. HOWEVER since I discovered Smidge I've never needed it.
(Also learned to avoid setting up the tent in damp corners of fields DOH)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Do we have them down South or are they different?

Properly known as

c908fee4606c181b63352280b6dfb2b6c7b2ac87.jpg

scientific name Culicoides impunctatus

known to all Scots and other victims as midgies (not midges) or something rather more rude, the little biters

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@Chris , watch the short video on this page:

Broken Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Many years ago when were courting, Jan and I were sitting in the car watching the Midge swarms.. but she was desperate for the loo.. so out she popped to pee in the bushes.. I locked the door .. she went berserk trying to get back in to avoid midge bites.. she was bitten from head to toe and all over her .. err privates.. :eek:

Looking back it was a cruel thing to do.. she never forgave me.. :(

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
A recent post from South Wales on a facebook group was also complaining about the Midgies when they wild camped down there so not just Scotland. We also got a load at Keilder water on the C C site some time ago.

I always check the forecast here before we go North, at the moment it's quite bad in the West. Fort William is one of the hot spots for them, if it's not windy. (n) :eek:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I wasn't fishing , I am just curious how bad they are.

Do we have them down South or are they different?
Sorry, I thought that you were in banter mode......... Midgies are legendary little sods.......

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Many years ago when were courting, Jan and I were sitting in the car watching the Midge swarms.. but she was desperate for the loo.. so out she popped to pee in the bushes.. I locked the door .. she went berserk trying to get back in to avoid midge bites.. she was bitten from head to toe and all over her .. err privates.. :eek:

Looking back it was a cruel thing to do.. she never forgave me.. :(
Whenever you get served an overcooked sprout, have no clean kex to wear, end up with tea instead of wine, get your toes 'accidentally' trodden on or your kidneys 'accidentally' elbowed, your favourite DVD lost, your valuable vinyl album scratched, your specs broken, lose your car keys, end up with only cold water for your shower, get locked out of the car .....

YOU KNOW WHY
revenge-emoticon.gif

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Agree with you DBK. We live on the east side and there is no problem at all. We only visit the west side in the spring

Reactions: DBK

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
If you don't mind driving do what we have done. Day time in the glorious west, dusk to dawn in the historic east. The Moray Firth is good for the north and Firth of Forth for the south, negligible midge count in both!

Dick

Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
I've just returned from Orkney via the west coast route,was up there the last two weeks and not a midge to be seen.
I would take your chances rather than not bother to go.
I had put off travelling there in previous years because of the midges bad mistake as it was a beautiful, wonderful place and can't wait to get up there again.
GO GO GO

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We're off to Jockland early Sept and hope they've all had their fill of the English :LOL:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We are going up to Edinburgh for 1wk on the 13th August and then over to Bunree on the west coast for 1wk.(y) Hope those areas are midge free:eek:.
Brian & Jo

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Was up there 3 weeks ago and made the mistake of parking by loch Garry under the trees ( near invergarry) smugly the missus and me settled down for our evening meal with all the window tightly shut gazing at a beautiful view with the light wind slowing down to a gentle breeze, I have seitz roof lights and didn't realise that even fully shut that still have passive ventilation, And the small passive ventilation hole are like the Blackwall tunnel to the Scottish midge,
We had literally thousands inside with us before I realised the problem, luckily I used a can of mosquito killer that dispatched them but still left us with many bites,
My small dyson was needed to hoover up the corpses and nearly half filled the container,

I spent most of the next day midge proofing the MH, over all the drop vents/ all the roof lights/ extractor fan outlet/ heater inlet pipe and adjusted habitation door for better fit,
Lesson learnt don't park under trees near a loch with no wind!!!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back