K3n

Free Member
Jun 21, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I bought a 20m hook up cable thinking I'd be able to try it out at home before going on our fist proper trip and when it arrived realised I wouldn't be able to plug it in! Anyway the adaptor arrived today and so I'm up and running. After a lot of hunting I finally located the charger tucked away in a cupboard. It looks like this.
image.jpg

When I'm hooked there appears to be a 240 supply to the fridge. And if I turn on the charger I think it's charging the leisure battery. Is that all there is to it? Hook up and turn it on? Any other advice?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I can't help thinking that there is more to this question than meets the eye?
Simple answer is yes, plug in and you are done. The 240v sockets in the van will work, and any other items that are 240v, the fridge for example, as you say, switches to 240v when hooked up.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
as above..
except not all fridges automatically switch to 230v ..
older models like mine have a three position power selector switch on the fridge front panel..

1. 12Vdc (only available when engine is running,) Battery symbol
2. LPG when no EHU. Flame symbol
3. Mains, 230v on EHU. AC ~ symbol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

K3n

Free Member
Jun 21, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
@DanielFord Now you mention it there is something else! what are the two indicator lights labelled 14.5v and 13.8v for?
@ScotJimland Yes, same here, but I just flipped the switch marked 240 and it lit up green, so I knew it was working. I had it working on the gas earlier, but it seemed to take forever to cool down. I'm guessing (doing a lot of guessing!) that the best bet would be to plug the van in at home before leaving to get everything fully charged and fridge nice and cold before switching to gas when we depart.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
the 14.5 v light shows the battery is charging.. it will go off when fully charged and the green light will come on.. hopefully :LOL:

Fridge takes several hours to cool.. so yes, plug into mains the night before you travel..

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
If you can't cool your fridge before you set off then freeze items you will be taking as they will cool the fridge. Milk, bread, bacon etc all can be frozen and will act as ice blocks when you are cooling down the fridge on the go.

Jen

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I usually freeze a 5 liter water bottle as when it eventually thaws it will be used for drinking .
I often leave bottles of water in the freezer (okay, bottles of ice) at home so that if we need to go away at short notice and haven't time to put the EHU on they can go into the van fridge. Works a treat.

The bottles of ice also act as a back-up for the domestic freezer keeping it all solid for longer if the power goes off (assuming the freezer isn't full. Basically any space in the freezer gets filled with bottles of water :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2013
DĂ©partement 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
I'm guessing (doing a lot of guessing!) that the best bet would be to plug the van in at home before leaving to get everything fully charged and fridge nice and cold before switching to gas when we depart.

You should switch to 12 volts when you start off on the road. As mentioned earlier, the 12 volt supply only works when the alternator is charging.

J

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back