Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Morning all

We have a problem with our Hymer in that it is lower at the front than at the rear by about 3 inches. This means that, unless we go up on the ramps, the shower tray does not drain as Hymer, in their wisdom, have fitted both outlets to the rear of the van.

As levelling blocks are a dam nuisance to use overtime we stop I have had a look at other levelling systems but what a price. As I only need something at the front I started wondering about a pair of electric scissor jacks fitted below the chassis and operated by a simple down/up switch to each one. Has anyone tried this or got any thoughts on it?

Cheers...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have the fully hydraulic version and think they are great, not only for levelling but they can lift the vehicle off the floor completely so there are advantages when you get stuck in a muddy field for example or indeed for tyre/wheel changing.

There are a few examples of electric steadies on the Internet but they are not really meant to take the load as they are as the name suggests just steadies.

Martin

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
We had the same problem with our fiat Ducato the front end lower than the rear we had up-rated springs fitted which raised it about 65mm 2 1/2 inch might be the answer cost about €700 don't know in pounds. It made the ride better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As previous post.. fit uprated front springs .. mine is also low..

been a few threads about them.. about £600 fitted

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
At that price wouldn't air suspension be a better option jim?

Ian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
At that price wouldn't air suspension be a better option jim?

Ian

only every heard of having the springs uprated/upgraded but open to suggestions..

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Hi Just fitted new front springs on my 2004 Hymer, same problem as yours 3 inches lower at front, fitted Sachs heavy duty front springs from Eurocarparts part no 627580830, £59.94 each problem sorted and handling much improved.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I keep forgetting that you guys don't have cart horse front springs like my RV, makes front air suspension a bit of a non-starter for you.

Ian

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We have just fitted air ride to the rear and up rated springs to the front. Colin did the air ride himself and Dave Newell did the front springs (just this morning in fact). This is the first time the van has been level when on the level ground since we got her.

The new heavy duty Sachs springs, new shocks & top plate were £550 inc fitting. This raised the front end by 35ml, and of course we can now lower the back end by letting some air out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back