What Is The Best Type Of Wheelclamp For A Motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I'm sorry to inform you, but if someone wants to steal your MH a "wheel clamp" is not going to stop them. Best to fit a good alarm and USE it.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I'm sorry to inform you, but if someone wants to steal your MH a "wheel clamp" is not going to stop them. Best to fit a good alarm and USE it.

Don't be so negative !

What you need is a wheel brace ,take your wheels off and hide them somewhere , there's not many thieves that carry 4 spare wheels around :rofl:

Unfortunately as Don Quixote says nothing will stop them if they want to steal it.Trackers ,wheel clamps ,steering locks are all peace of mind extras that MH owners buy but thieves can get round all too easily!
If you have an alarm and don't set it the insurance won't pay out so don't give them an excuse ,lock and leave your van,if it goes it goes such is life .
Fortunately it happens less often than you may think ,so use it and enjoy it if the worst happens don't worry about it that's what insurance is for.

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I would agree that an Alarm is the best way to go. We found that a Thatcham approved alarm only reduced our insurance cost by £19.00, so we use the alarm but have not declared it, in case of theft when alarm not set

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I've got a clamp. It's the 'square U' shaped one by Milenco. Easy to put on/take off. Good visible deterrent.

Yes, I know that thieves can cut it with a grinder, but that takes time (and noise) or they can front-end lift the MH and tackle it later. Gives me peace of mind as it delays them and they will move on to something else, hopefully. Also have a steering lock gizmo and an Ace-O Whizz-O alarm system, so I've done what I can.

Some thieves not far from me nicked an aircraft hangar a while ago!!
Ok, so it was under construction at the time, but if they can nich that, they'll nick anything!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've got a clamp. It's the 'square U' shaped one by Milenco. Easy to put on/take off. Good visible deterrent.

Some thieves not far from me nicked an aircraft hangar a while ago!!
Ok, so it was under construction at the time, but if they can nich that, they'll nick anything!

Use 4 .(y):)

Last bit reminds me of the 30tonne weighbridge being transported on a low loader. Could only be moved at night & was parked up during the day in a lay by- When they returned the following evening it had all disappeared ! :LOL:

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I have a Nemesis full stop wheel lock and also use steering lock.
Vanbitz alarm on order.

I don't think it will get kicked from where it's kept as some kind soul has blocked me in by parking their car opposite me

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's got an immobiliser & insured I assume so why bother.
Why make life difficult for yourself, I bet you don't bother on your car & the Motorhome is only another vehicle.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have Broken Link Removed. Even if you have my keys; you're not nicking it without a low loader, and even then, I'll know where you are :)

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
We have a phantom tracker and every time I forget to switch it off before moving they ring me within five minutes to let me know the Mo Ho is moving and am I aware of it...

Also a cobra alarm on all doors and lockers...

These are of course the back up systems to the Wyaye Frontline Security System Pack...

Four dogs who let us know when anyone comes near the van when we are travelling and who would make anyone think twice about entering the property when we are at home...

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sms controlled alarm immobilisers are available from about £30, so really it makes sense to get one fitted

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
What makes people think that alarms are going to prevent their motorhome from being stolen? Car alarms have now almost become obsolete and even house alarms are in decline. The reason being that if I hear an alarm going off, be it a car, house or whatever I don't even bother looking out of the window, let alone go to see what's happening and I'm no different from anyone else. That's the reason most motorhomes don't come with alarms. A visible deterrent like a wheel clamp or a steering wheel lock is definitely the way to go because it will make someone move on to another vehicle. If they're not worried about the sound of a grinder to cut a wheel clamp off why would they worry about the sound of an alarm?

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Jenny phoned the local police a few weeks ago to report a burglar alarm going off, they asked her if she had investigated the alarm herself as in had she been round the house and back garden etc, when she said that she hadn't done that herself she was told that they do not respond to burglar alarms going off anymore as they were mostly false alarms.

One has to question wether it is worth going to the expense of having one fitted! Other than for your own peace of mind.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
People and police (it seems) do ignore alarms, but on a site an Alarm going off does cause people to look and a neighbour might investigate and if you are around (e.g. in your house) then you would go and check. Also get a call from our monitoring/tracker service if the alarm goes off to ensure that all is OK.

Do not have a wheel lock, thought about it but more as a external visual deterent than a means to stop a determined scumbag, not bought one because not sure I would be bothered to use it. But main requirement apart from being a deterent would be small and easy to fit so wondering about a clamp type?

http://www.bulldogsecure.com/view/bulldog-em4x4ss-euroclamp/79

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
One has to question wether it is worth going to the expense of having one fitted! Other than for your own peace of mind.

Probably !

If it's making one hell of a noise inside and the intruder can't stop it he'll not stop long because he can't hear the cops arriving.

The old logic is, if you neighbour does not have one why not do him instead but with so many alarms that's not so common.

So on balance I'd fit one.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It's got an immobiliser & insured I assume so why bother.
Why make life difficult for yourself, I bet you don't bother on your car & the Motorhome is only another vehicle.

In reality this is the reason why everything has got in to the state it has. Try only having rta insurance on your vehicle. :)
" Only another vehicle" Yes but it is mine & along withe the wife, daughter's & my dogs, are untouchable by anyone including the police.
My deterrents are to gain those extra moments that either allow them to be deterred or catch them in the act & remove them from the Earth permanently !(y)

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
An alarm isn't a deterrent, it is the label that says you have an alarm that is a deterrent :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
An alarm isn't a deterrent, it is the label that says you have an alarm that is a deterrent :)
or a flashing LED with a quality alarm makers logo. this can easily be wired to switch on automatically when the engine is off and or doors locked

plus add some tracker fitted stickers too. but not the cheap generic ones, as those are too obvious

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We popped to the shops the other day and our house alarm went off while we were out. Came home to find 3 (yes, three) neighbours nosying round to see if all was ok.

Was very impressed. The neighbours also know when we are away (MH missing) and keep an eye (or ear) open and ring a family member for us. We do the same for them. Best thing is we are on a new estate so no long term friendships just thoughtful people.

Also couple of weeks ago we heard a noise via the baby monitor in the garage (home to hubbies "babies", his bikes) and phone the police once we had scared them off. Less than 5 mins later several police cars plus CID even though no damage. They said they want these sort of calls as mid week when quiet they have the resources to try to catch them.

Jen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back