Mousy Goes To France Day One.. (1 Viewer)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
thought I'd do a rolling diary of our family holiday to France, the list of characters are myself, Mr Mousy, our 2 lads, George 20 and Harry 18 and ruby 8 our Scottish terrier.
We set off from South Wales this morning, booked onto the euro tunnel 17.50 crossing. The journey has been good so far, but different to a journey with just the 2 of us, we usually listen to an audio book...nah boys not having that! We've been spotified to within an inch of our lives, they have eaten half the food in the van and our normally spotless interior is covered in crap...and I'm loving it..

Still feeling in the holiday mood even the news the Chunnel is shut, we are stuck in traffic and it's a sweltering hot day won't dampen the spirits in this van, Haz has been getting used to his new camera by taking shots of the passing vans, we've now got bomb disposal squad racing by....

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Just seen that the tunnel is closed at the moment. Hope it reopens soon for you.

Have a good holiday & update us when you can :france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
What ever the incident was, we are now past it. 2 hours parked up on the M25, made some new friends, a middle aged couple behind on their way to the opera asked us very politely for some milk, slightly random.

We are now 20 miles away from the Chunnel which had reopened, we've been in the Moho for 9 hours now, slightly flagging but the lack of fuel both in the van and the last three petrol stations we have tried is giving us all a welcome boost of nervous energy. Plan A is to pull over and start ringing petrol stations to find one with diesel. Plan B will see us parked/stranded in Kent.... Gulp
Boys still smiling though, old enough for a beer!?

Last edited:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Crikey talk about leaving us on tenterhooks - hope you make it to Ashford!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
hello all, looking forward to hearing the 'rest' of your travels, don't really get the no fuel bit, but glad you are 'on your way' albeit in a few more hours.

Is it this trip your are heading for Annecy?

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@Mousy We need someone like you to run the Country. Cool in a crisis or what!!!

If you're going to Annecy, can you let me know the way you routed around the Swiss border please. I'm going to Annecy in a month or two and don't want to go through Switzerland and pay the Vignette (like I did last year).

Really hope you get across ok.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Woohoo - Le Francais is not too far away!! Clifton said you should have bought a helicopter! Please have moules et frites for us! Bon voyage and Bon vacance xx

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I love reading these reports of holidays and travels and this one has started very differently to an previous ones.

Good luck Mousey and family and despite those trying to ruin the start enjoy yourselves.(y)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Fingers crossed for you. Have a great time in France with the new van.(y)

Should I start a thread "Taran wants to leave France" but they won't let him:LOL::LOL:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I bet their in the tunnel

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
He's probably in France and is now realising that t'internet isn't as easy/ cheap to use as it is in the UK ( unless he's on Three of course...)
Hope this Ferry / Tunnel palaver is over by next Wednesday, I am driving back to Kent to Pick Daughter Mother in Law and 25 litres of emulsion and bringing the lot back to Brittany the next day.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
He's probably in France and is now realising that t'internet isn't as easy/ cheap to use as it is in the UK ( unless he's on Three of course...)
Hope this Ferry / Tunnel palaver is over by next Wednesday, I am driving back to Kent to Pick Daughter Mother in Law and 25 litres of emulsion and bringing the lot back to Brittany the next day.
Can I make a suggestion?
Unless the mother-in-law has a paint brush or roller in hand leave her behind!:whistle:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Son in law is taking the Dux van to France on Sunday..... Possibly.....

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
...I am driving back to Kent to Pick Daughter Mother in Law and 25 litres of emulsion and bringing the lot back to Brittany the next day.
Absinthe forms an emulsion when water is added.

Have a good trip! :)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Mousey is a lady and as soon as she gets internet I am sure we will be in for some good reading, one of the best at telling a story on Fun. Hope all is going well. (y)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I think she is trying to buy more food and drink. don't forget they have two big kids with them.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
image.jpg
Fear not fellow funsters we are safely in France although it's been an awful journey. We got to the terminal and were offered an 05.50 train, not the best of timings but I was bouyed by the thought of all that duty free shopping, not the beer and wine but Molton brown! We had left our number with customer services and half an hour later we were called to say an extra train was leaving "did we want to be on it?" Of course we abandoned the display of Prada sunglasses and got going. It was now 11.50.
We had a nice chat with a train driver who said not to stop anywhere near Calais as the immigration problem was horrendous, we saw quite a few groups of people as we drove out of Calais it reminded us of downtown Maputo in Mozambique! Sadly they didn't seem to be selling us oranges or cashew nuts..
The boys had by now passed out in the back but we drove on for an hour, on almost empty roads. We came off the motorway and into a village, found an empty Carpark and crashed out. We woke up a few hours later to find we were in the Carpark of the village school!
Onward to Troyes...

Last edited:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Phew - as you can see from the thread we were all getting worried! Sorry I missed your text last night, and that you didn't get to stay in the dairy farm. :( Glad you escaped Calais unscathed but with no nuts! Hope You all get a chance to chill for the rest of the holiday - but not too much - everyone is expecting daily blogs now! xx

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Thanks all for your kind words and I'm sorry to have left you all hanging.
Ger, is has without doubt been one of the worse starts to a holiday ever and this from a family that's had its fair share of holiday disasters!

I'll update you all tommorow as today has been a challenge and I'm so ready for bed, have I mentioned it's also unbelievably hot?
Cheers for now Dawn x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back