Aib Very Expensive For Higher Value Mh (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Having got a very competitive quote from them recently for I insuring my 1 year old Bessacarr I was shocked to discover how expensive they were to I sure my new Carthago
Apparently they only have one insurer who will quote for motorhomes over £50k - Aviva who were almost twice the price of NFU
Also called Caravan Club and Safeguard for a quote but they never answered the phone :sleep:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
There was so little between our quotes from AIB and the C&CC, the latter being marginally cheaper and our existing insurer, that we stayed with C&CC. AIB would have been the choice if I had needed 365 European breakdown cover. Expensive from both, but they are offering new for old and their cover in both cases is good. But as others have said, you know how good after a claim, which I hope none of us will need.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
having had our Hymer insured originally on my company fleet policy, found out we were actually paying well over £1000, so changed to AIB. still with Aviva and dropped to about £600 from memory, still only about 1% of value of MH, didn't seem that bad to me, I wouldn't take on the risk on those odds :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
having had our Hymer insured originally on my company fleet policy, found out we were actually paying well over £1000, so changed to AIB. still with Aviva and dropped to about £600 from memory, still only about 1% of value of MH, didn't seem that bad to me, I wouldn't take on the risk on those odds :)
NFU was just over £450 for a £90k van with a new for old replacement van for vehicles upto 2 years old

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
NFU was just over £450 for a £90k van with a new for old replacement van for vehicles upto 2 years old

and do you fancy that risk, I certainly don't, so many things can cause damage other than us as drivers :)

but I will be looking at NFU in a few months :D:D

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
and do you fancy that risk, I certainly don't, so many things can cause damage other than us as drivers :)

but I will be looking at NFU in a few months :D:D
Sorry David I don't understand, where's the risk
We've been insured with NFU for almost 20 years now without issues, both for liability and company vans

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
it only takes some moron to do something stupid, either driving or graffiti or who knows what, you have been fortunate to be claim free for 20 years IMO :):)

a total loss rare as it may be will cost your insurer an arm and a leg

edit - I was referring to the risk your insurers take for a relatively small % of the risk value

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
it only takes some moron to do something stupid, either driving or graffiti or who knows what, you have been fortunate to be claim free for 20 years IMO :):)

a total loss rare as it may be will cost your insurer an arm and a leg

edit - I was referring to the risk your insurers take for a relatively small % of the risk value
Maybe they do it because they are a mutual society run for the benefit of their members, rather than the benefit of shareholders?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Try Louth, my local Truro NFU were useless on my RV and someone recomended Louth, and I now have the cars and new MH with them.

Nicholas Pope & Sarah Topliss

Agents for NFU Mutual

Tel: 01507 600249 Fax: 01507 601420

Email: louth_agency@nfumutual.co.uk Web: www.nfumutual.co.uk/louth

Address: NFU Office, Agriculture House, Bolingbroke Road, Louth, Lincolnshire, LN11 0WA

INSURANCE, PENSIONS & INVESTMENTS

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
we are with safeguard £600, with european breakdown, new for old for 2 years and £600, Knaus A class
this was our first motorhome so no history/no claims either.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
we are with safeguard £600, with european breakdown, new for old for 2 years and £600, Knaus A class
this was our first motorhome so no history/no claims either.
Apparently insurers don't really use no claims bonus on Motorhomes as they are are not your main vehicle and have low milage
Thats what I was told by one of the insurance companies I spoke to

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
didn't need it with safeguard but do the calculations. If i recall new tracker to other insurers spec came out came out at over 2k for 3 years so approx £700 a year, therefore insurers requiring tracker had to be at least £700 cheaper to consider. Hope that makes sense

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Check your windscreen cover - if ours went it would be a bill of £5000. We have just insured our Neismann with Safeguard which is unlimited plus has European breakdown cover. We did not accept first quote as seemed high but they soon dropped it by £150.00.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back