Cleaning Boiler With Citric Acid (1 Viewer)

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Does anyone know the ratio of citric acid to water to flush the boiler through ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Truma doesn't say what dilution, so it can't be too critical ..

Does my Combi water tank need to be descaled or sterilised?
The water tank should be descaled from time to time.
Citric acid must be used for this purpose. This can be fed into the device via the water inlet. Leave it time to take effect and then rinse out the Combi thoroughly with fresh water.

Please do not use the water from the Combi as drinking water.

EDIT I have emailed Truma asking advice. will post when they reply

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I spoke to Truma at the NEC exhibition last October. They advised white wine vinegar in the dilution 1:20.
However, the chap also said that they rarely (if ever) found the inside of a Truma heater to be calcified as it is made of stainless steel and is indirectly heated.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
the chap also said that they rarely (if ever) found the inside of a Truma heater to be calcified as it is made of stainless steel and is indirectly heated.

interesting..

our house water is very hard and the S/S kettle needs de scaling every week.. in fact it gets more scaled up than the old plastic kettle we had..

not sure how 'indirect' heating would have any effect on scaling .. sounds like sales talk to me.. waffle.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
I use Citric Acid to descale my washing machine and dishwasher and the ratio is 2 dessert spoonfulls in each empty machine on a very hot wash.

I also use it to descale the steam iron 2 teaspoons disolved in a 250 ml glass of hot water.

I also use it for watering Hydrangeas, Gardenias, etc. 1 teaspoon to each litre of water.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
EDIT I have emailed Truma asking advice. will post when they reply

and the reply is

Dear Mr Allan

The solution we recommend for descaling is 2 litres of white wine vinegar diluted into 10/12 litres of fresh water, introduce via the water system and then leave to work for about 4 to 5 hours and then flush through. We would not recommend using citric acid in the heater.

If you require any further assistance do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Nicky Price
Customer Service Administrator

Tel: Broken Link Removed
Fax: Broken Link Removed
Address: Park Lane, Dove Valley, South Derbyshire, DE65 5BG

which is at odds with advice on the Truma site

Does my Combi water tank need to be descaled or sterilised?
The water tank should be descaled from time to time.
Citric acid must be used for this purpose. This can be fed into the device via the water inlet. Leave it time to take effect and then rinse out the Combi thoroughly with fresh water.

Please do not use the water from the Combi as drinking water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
s20hymer
Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya have found that one tablespoon does one litre and TBS is aprox 14 grams so take it from there ...i used 500 grms in aprox 35 litres and left overnight with boiler on shall flush out tommorow

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
hya have found that one tablespoon does one litre and TBS is aprox 14 grams so take it from there ...i used 500 grms in aprox 35 litres and left overnight with boiler on shall flush out tommorow

ok..

I just find it odd.. Truma site contradicts the advice from the Truma Help line.. If they cannot agree, what chance do we have.. :doh:

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
ok..

I just find it odd.. Truma site contradicts the advice from the Truma Help line.. If they cannot agree, what chance do we have.. :doh:

I was thinking the same ScotJimland. Their aquastar product for descaling is basically citric acid so to then say don't use citric acid is odd.

Their instructions for the aquastar product (citric acid) says use 500g per 50litres of water.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I was thinking the same ScotJimland. Their aquastar product for descaling is basically citric acid so to then say don't use citric acid is odd.

Their instructions for the aquastar product (citric acid) says use 500g per 50litres of water.

indeed.. I have replied to the email asking why they say one thing and Truma site says the opposite ..

OP
OP
s20hymer
Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya that should make interesting reading..i was probably still writing my findings when you posted yours Jim it takes ages with one finger and bl....dy spell checker keep cutting in... shall flush later on probably leaks every where

OP
OP
s20hymer
Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya flushed system this morning no leaks ..a fair bit cloudy water came out as i treated taps everything in system ..did notice water was scolding hot with citric acid in system..has settled down now to normal ..done job

Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I use a apple cider vinegar with lemon juice and a cap full of virgin olive oil. Cleans me out ,so can't hurt a steel boiler.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back