New Driving Regulations In France From July 1, 2015 (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
After a 3.7% increase in road deaths in 2014, new rules regarding driving in France come into force on 1 July, 2015. Details so you won't be caught out...

The rules are split into two categories, those that have an automatic points deduction and fine, and those that are up to the discretion of the enforcing Officer.

Broken Link Removed

Fine & Points deduction
  • Be under the influence of drugs: 4,500€ fine + 6 points
  • Alcohol limits are 0.5g/l but have been reduced to 0.2g/l for new drivers (who passed their test less than 3 years ago): 4,500€ fine + 6 points
  • Watching a screen which is not a driving aid (e.g. watching a DVD): 1500€ fine + 3 points
  • Manipulating your phone (e.g. texting): 135€ fine + 3 points
  • Using headphones (in ear or external): 135€ fine + 3 points
    (Note that this applies to all road users including cyclists, and also includes using a single earphone.)
  • Not wearing your seatbelt: 135€ fine + 3 points
  • Smoking with a minor on board (this regulation still has to be passed by Parliament but is expected to be passed): 68€ fine

Fine only (at Officer's discretion)
  • Eating a sandwich
  • Searching in the glove box
  • Listening to loud music that will interfere with you hearing the normal road noises (and at night, with the window open)
  • Applying make-up (even in a traffic-jam)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Every time they introduce new ones the rate of deaths goes up. The other year it was the breathalyser one, +1350 fine for wandering across the inside white line or watching tv ,film on lap top. etc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Does anyone really disagree with the idea?

I know we all criticise when "our freedoms are interfered with". I know I do.

However, if looked at logically most of them make sense. My only objection is the "eating a sandwich" one. Looks as if I will have to eat quiche from now on!:whistle:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As this is my normal hands free method and now illegal. What do you do?
Turn your bloody phone off.
you only think you need it, you dont.
missed calls and messages will still be there when you stop and can respond.

20 years ago you didnt have a mobile and you survived a few hours driving.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Er, don't answer the phone while driving? Pull over and call them back if you think it is important. Or given this is about France call them back at the end of your holiday. :)
Pull over AND TURN OFF the engine as it is still counted as driving, even in a layby and handbrake on.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I hear yo bro ---- but I do get free calla in France with 3
Assuming you aren't fishing... For a small amount on Amazon you can buy a Bluetooth FM transmitter that doubles as a charger. This connects to your phone by Bluetooth and your car stereo by FM. Let's you play music and satnav through the stereo from your phone as well.

I disagree with erosion of freedom but I do think the only safe way to use a phone in the car is totally hands free

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Turn your bloody phone off.
you only think you need it, you dont.
missed calls and messages will still be there when you stop and can respond.

20 years ago you didnt have a mobile and you survived a few hours driving.

It's all right for some.
But - I have a business to run. I can have a good amount of holidays IF I keep in contact. That is the advantage of modern technology and mobile phones.

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Tell your staff only to phone at certain time! job done still in business.:rolleyes:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We run our business from mobiles and find that people are perfectly Ok about a call back.

They'll also get a better response when you ve had time to think about it.

Im all for banning headphones but think that ban should also be for pedestrians and cyclists. You cannot listen to music and pick up on whats going on around you.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Is listening through an ear piece more distracting than listening through the radio speakers?
Apparently so according to the French authorities. I suspect that they can't ban bluetooth paired stereos, since they are standard fit in a lot of new cars.
But seriously, any method of holding a phone conversation whilst driving is not particularly safe, my conversations tend to consist of "Hello, I'm driving at the moment, can I call you back?"

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I do think the only safe way to use a phone in the car is totally hands free

There is no 100% safe way to use a phone in a car .. hands free or otherwise.. it is a distraction.

If you are in an-accident while using the phone 'hands free' you could be prosecuted for failing to have proper control of the vehicle..

RoSPA say this..

A substantial body of research shows that using a hand-held or hands-free mobile phone while driving is a significant distraction, and substantially increases the risk of the driver crashing.

Drivers who use a mobile phone, whether hand-held or hands-free:

• are much less aware of what's happening on the road around them
  • fail to see road signs
  • fail to maintain proper lane position and steady speed
  • are more likely to 'tailgate' the vehicle in front
  • react more slowly, take longer to brake and longer to stop
  • are more likely to enter unsafe gaps in traffic
  • feel more stressed and frustrated.

They are also four times more likely to crash, injuring or killing themselves and other people.

Using a hands-free phone while driving does not significantly reduce the risks because the problems are caused mainly by the mental distraction and divided attention of taking part in a phone conversation at the same time as driving.

Broken Link Removed

If the mobile phone can be operated without it being held, then hands free kits are permitted. The touching of buttons on the phone is allowed, as long as the phone is not being held whilst being operated.

If your mobile phone is blue tooth compatible then you can buy a blue tooth head kit. If your phone is not blue tooth compatible then the best option is probably a speaker phone kit.

There are however still risks using a mobile phone whilst driving as they are a distraction. If you are involved in an incident and even using a mobile phone legally, you could still face prosecution for failing to have proper control over your vehicle.

You can also be prosecuted for careless driving or dangerous driving which carry higher penalties. If you kill someone in an accident caused by phoning or texting etc. you can expect a lengthy sentence of imprisonment.

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law
Highway Code

Using hands-free devices when driving

You can use hands-free phones, sat navs and 2-way radios when you’re driving or riding. But if the police think you’re distracted and not in control of your vehicle you could still get stopped and penalised.

Last edited:

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
The distraction element of using a phone is certainly very dangerous, Just one little tip should you be pulled over by a French motorcyle police, they are very proud of thier uniforms, especially thier tight fitting trousers, DON, T call them mon capitain!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The safety argument is impossible to win. Of course having a conversation is distracting that's why they should ban the radio and passengers from all vehicles...

Like others, I can't ignore my phone when it rings as I have business and family responsibilities. I do agree that most conversations should be 'I am driving let me get back to you' but sometimes it isn't that simple.

Anyway, like I said, if I'm in France I'm on holiday so it isn't an issue.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Phone is on silent and in my handbag as I know that if i heard a message come through i would be wondering about it and then might be tempted to glance at phone when stopped at traffic lights. Thankyou for the info, always good to get the warnings.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
so I have to pull in to eat a sandwich?.....the audacity! the effrontery! what is the world coming to....what about my human rights! next it will be cctv in the cab monitoring you:)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The safety argument is impossible to win. Of course having a conversation is distracting that's why they should ban the radio and passengers from all vehicles...

Like others, I can't ignore my phone when it rings as I have business and family responsibilities. I do agree that most conversations should be 'I am driving let me get back to you' but sometimes it isn't that simple.

Anyway, like I said, if I'm in France I'm on holiday so it isn't an issue.

I would agree with all of this.

Where do we draw the line between talking (or god forbid arguing) with the wife and talking on the phone ?
Why is hands free through the radio speakers an acceptable method and using a one ear speaker is not?
I cannot understand why the French think its an issue when the UK government is quite happy with it.

I would argue that we are all guilty of being on auto pilot at times, especially on motorways and a conversation even on the phone will re-focus your mind.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back