pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have been looking for a site to go away a few days next week and came across this at --Yeatheridge Farm Caravan & Camping Park, East Worlington, Devon. "We do not accept commercial vehicles or any type of converted transport vehicle; and we may refuse entry to particularly large caravans or continental vans (i.e. LMC, Tabbert, Hobby) we deem to be unsuitable." never seen anything like that befor on any site.
Pam with a 26' Hobby wont be going there then.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Were you told you would not be welcome..or just reading from site rules.. here http://www.yeatheridge.co.uk/facilities.asp

We do not accept commercial vehicles or any type of converted transport vehicle; and we may refuse entry to particularly large caravans or continental vans (i.e. LMC, Tabbert, Hobby) we deem to be unsuitable.

The rule is purely to prevent the 'travellers' from using the site.. , I doubt they would apply it to your motorhome.. albeit a Hobby

Some sites abroad don't allow twin axle caravans.. but once they see you are not a 'traveller' they don't apply the rule..

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I have been looking for a site to go away a few days next week and came across this at --Yeatheridge Farm Caravan & Camping Park, East Worlington, Devon. "We do not accept commercial vehicles or any type of converted transport vehicle; and we may refuse entry to particularly large caravans or continental vans (i.e. LMC, Tabbert, Hobby) we deem to be unsuitable." never seen anything like that befor on any site.
Pam with a 26' Hobby wont be going there then.

Hi Pam
I think they are refering to our friends the traveling community, A point in question on Monday this week my wife who plays darts for a club in Blackpool had quite a wait to get on the car park due to two caravans a Tabbant and a Hobby both being pulled by white vans, they had booked in by phone for four nights and were stopped from leaving at the gate for trying to go without paying, perhaps your site mentioned has had simular experiance in the past. Pete
Ps a lot of overseas sites are the sme.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Why not phone them, tell them your requirements, and ask if you'd be welcome?
01884 860330
Looks like a nice, well-organised family site with good recommendations, I wouldn't let an ambiguous statement put me off trying.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamie

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
I may give them a ring then, nope just thought about it wont give them the chance to look down there noses at me when we turn up been to a lot better sites

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamie

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Were you told you would not be welcome..or just reading from site rules.. here http://www.yeatheridge.co.uk/facilities.asp

We do not accept commercial vehicles or any type of converted transport vehicle; and we may refuse entry to particularly large caravans or continental vans (i.e. LMC, Tabbert, Hobby) we deem to be unsuitable.

The rule is purely to prevent the 'travellers' from using the site.. , I doubt they would apply it to your motorhome.. albeit a Hobby

Some sites abroad don't allow twin axle caravans.. but once they see you are not a 'traveller' they don't apply the rule..
just reading there site rules

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I may give them a ring then, nope just thought about it wont give them the chance to look down there noses at me when we turn up been to a lot better sites

I think you may be reading too much into this, IMO it is as suggested above just a way to stop traveller type groups trying to get on

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012

We were knocked back from many sites with our British passports, car & Bailey twin axle caravan. The municipal site at La Fleche springs readily to mind as being one.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We were knocked back from many sites with our British passports, car & Bailey twin axle caravan. The municipal site at La Fleche springs readily to mind as being one.

sad , isn't it.. but they have their reasons..
we never had any problems with out twin axle Lunar , and stayed on lots of municipal sites..

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
sad , isn't it.. but they have their reasons..
we never had any problems with out twin axle Lunar , and stayed on lots of municipal sites..
One site that knocked us back even rang another and arranged for us to go there instead!

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Very rarely book never tel ahead and rarely read reviews and guess what in 5 years 50k miles in a tag never ever been refused. Used to get refused regularly when we had a RV.
Like others have said these rules are to refuse gypos / pykies when they turn up.
Stop worrying be more spontaneous its much more fun.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamie

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
well you all will be pleased to know i made a phone call to them and yes they would take us but did waffle on about our door being the other side and we need a large pitch have not booked it yet thinking about it

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Nice one @pamie , it takes some guts to get over a bad initial reaction like you had. :)
This thing about the side the door's on does come up from time to time (I think it's a privacy thing as well as where the awning goes) - some places will let you park nose-in or nose-out while others insist on nose-out (I think that's a safety thing, a hang-over from caravans-only days) so that might be able to be sorted. Not something you can change though! :LOL:
And of course you'll need a large pitch, you have a large and lovely van. Even in our comparatively teeny 7.1 metres we were half off a pitch last week, which made it difficult for neighbours in caravans to take their cars off-site. :whistle:

Anyway, wherever you go, have a lovely relaxing time. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hope it's a good site and enjoyable. I often get put off sites by their pictures or rules, fortuneately there is usually another site nearby that fits the bill, but it would be easier if I bit the bullet and just booked the first one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Nice one @pamie . Even in our comparatively teeny 7.1 metres we were half off a pitch last week, which made it difficult for neighbours in caravans to take their cars off-site. :whistle:

7.1 metres? The neighbours won't be able to get past if you're in our drive! :eek:

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have just marshalled for the first time. Whilst setting people up I was told to put the doors on one side but not why. I was always curious about this so once things had quietened down and and all the other marshals were outside chatting. I walked over and asked a few of them about this rule and why. I got various reasons.

1. If all doors are on the same side you don't come out of your van onto someone elses awning area. A lot of people complain about kids/dogs bounding out of vans straight onto their pitch. Having the doors on the same side eases that.

2. Fire safety. With awnings face to face there is an increased risk of fire jumping vans even with a safe distance.

3. Fire safety. When firemen turn up they will not know which side doors are on and if they are all the same way round then they can get to you quicker if door is obscured by smoke or fire.

There were other minor reasons but these three seemed to me to be the most valid of the reasons I was given.

Upvote 0

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
Been there whilst a tugger, nice family site, though I recall it being a bit tight, size wise

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Oh I do so hope you're joking o_O
Curious to know why? Many drives won't accommodate a MH and ours copes with a mh up to 6m but any more and I'll be either overhang onto the pavement or be taking bits of MH out of our cornflakes packet in the morning.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
friends of ours sold on an LMC caravan after a few weeks. German twin axle van plus speaking with an Irish accent is the kiss of death to getting on most sites,
speaking to friends who run CLs and sites, one such van turning up alone is often the forerunner of a Itinerant invasion.

Have been on a rally before where the Itinerants invaded by taking advantage of an open gate and other vans there. they just stream in at speed one after the other and god help anyone getting in the way or trying to stop them

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back