Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
I have a 2007 new shape 2.3 fiat based 7mt 6 berth lunar and after 2 years of traveling to Germany, Austria and Italy along with dozens of UK trips i have never had any problems.
My Brother in law has smaller van with the older 2.8.
On hills anyway he has a job keeping up with my larger heavier outfit.

I do have the judder and i have to reverse up a hill every time i take my Motorhome out but after 35years of driving all you need is common senses and correct pedal control to stop the judder.

Don't knock the fiat i sometimes drive the rear wheel drive Mercedes van at work ,
i used to dream of buying a Mercedes based Motorhome.
But after driving it in heavy rain or snow when the back end twitches or i was unable to crawl up a small snow covered hill when other vans came and went.
i thanked myself for buying a front wheel drive fiat Ducato,
So don't knock a Fiat until you drive one.
i love mine:thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have a 2007 new shape 2.3 fiat based 7mt 6 berth lunar and after 2 years of traveling to Germany, Austria and Italy along with dozens of UK trips i have never had any problems.
My Brother in law has smaller van with the older 2.8.
On hills anyway he has a job keeping up with my larger heavier outfit.

I do have the judder and i have to reverse up a hill every time i take my Motorhome out but after 35years of driving all you need is common senses and correct pedal control to stop the judder.

Don't knock the fiat i sometimes drive the rear wheel drive Mercedes van at work ,
But after driving it in heavy rain or snow when the back end twitches or i was unable to crawl up a small snow covered hill when other vans came and went.

Couldn't agree more we have the 2.3 and it's a dream to drive. Slight judder when reversing uphill. How much uphill reversing do you do in a motorhome? There is a current thread in another (dark) place where someone has changed from a Ford to the Fiat and is very happy. As you say we love ours. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years

But how much weight is on the rear axle of the works van?:Cool:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Glad you are all happy with your Vans, but if there is nothing wrong with them why are Fiat spending so much money attempting to stop the problems.

It is said that the 2.3 is going out of the range, I wonder why.:Eeek:

Dave

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Hi,must admit i loved mine to,,,,,till my clutch went after just 11000 miles.It is a 160multijet
but i also have a 120 multi jet which i drive for work and the 160 drives alot better when it is working.
They do have the makings of a good van but need to sort out a FEW GREMLINS and improve customer service.
Dave.

OP
OP
mulaz

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
But how much weight is on the rear axle of the works van?:Cool:
Van was empty and normally is.
Post office LVT van driver was laughing as nobody was able to get the merc up a slight incline with 2" of snow.
LVT van overtook and disappeared up the hill.
Nobody at work has a good word for the 2008 merc van

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Glad you are all happy with your Vans, but if there is nothing wrong with them why are Fiat spending so much money attempting to stop the problems.

It is said that the 2.3 is going out of the range, I wonder why.:Eeek:

Dave

"but if there is nothing wrong with them"

No one said that. :Smile:

"why are Fiat spending so much money attempting to stop the problems."

That's as much as can be expected of any company and more than Merc are spending to fix the crap brakes. :Eeek:

"It is said"

Fiat deny this and say the 2.3 will continue. :thumb:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
we have a lunar moonstar new shape 22ft 6 long van it will cruse all day long at 70 to 80
its the only van i have driven after 350 miles none stop driving i get out of cab and don't have back ache .don't all vans have problems in the end fiat will do the right thing and sort out the judder .

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
DSHAGUE where are you driving legaly cruising 70 to 80?

Seriously though, I admire your faith in fiat sorting this out. I suspect that it will be to their advantage not the end user.

I remember that the early 2000 models of the Ducato suffered from water over the engine which was cured in the later models only to reappear in the x250 - Do they really learn from user feed back?

From reports all versions of the new Ducato are good drives (going forewards ) and have achieved a degree of user satisfaction, and is reflected in your experience.

I wonder with reports of clutch failure at 11k miles whether the the reverse judder is a symptom of a more serious problem which causes the failure. Surely you would have to do a serious amount of reversing under judder to cause such a failure.

I admit that I have a late 2006 2.8 Fiat which drives well and shows no sign of judder. The problem I, and many others will have, is that when it comes time to look for a new vehicle there will be a number of 2007 - 2009 (and may be later if the problem is not sorted) pre used vehicles on the market which will be suspect. Maybe current owners will not even be able to get a good trade in deal if the problem is not resolved.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I hope those of you with a slight judder have reported it to Fiat and got a case number. The advised speed when revrsing is very dangerous especially on a crowded site. I have reversed my X250 to park it on a site and it cooked the clutch. It will happen again when I have to reverse to a passing place on a single track road to accommodate an oncoming bus or tractor with trailer.
If you don't report the fault you are helping to falsify the figures. especially those of you with a 3litre van like mine.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Van was empty and normally is.
Post office LVT van driver was laughing as nobody was able to get the merc up a slight incline with 2" of snow.
LVT van overtook and disappeared up the hill.
Nobody at work has a good word for the 2008 merc van

An empty rear wheel drive van will struggle with traction but a rear wheel drive campervan is normally pretty loaded out therefore plenty traction.

P.S. Ithink the new Fiats etc look great but how can you justify the saving against a Merc when you read all the horror stories that have been posted! Haud the boot in !!!!!:Angry:

Last edited:

mikeange

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
wimborne near new forest
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
2 year (caravan before)
What's wrong with a 2.3? NOTHING!

HI
I have a 2.3 swift bolero 680fb 2.3 (fiat ducato).2008 model
I AM DELIGHTED WITH IT. Myself and my wife have been to the French Alps, and to the South of France (twice) last year. Lots of hills," BUT" I did not have to do a lot of reversing.
I do get a judder, but as you say, you automatically adjust your foot pressure on the throttle,and clutch.Next week we are off again to the South of France for two months, hopefully every thing will be fine.
The only real problem i have had, is my side door, it has delaminated, and needs a new one fitted.(warranty) Swift have had one on order since November last...I STILL HAVE NOT GOT IT FITTED. This is the only "GRUMP" I have with Swift, the rest of the motorhome is a delight .10/10 for design!
regrds
mikeange:thumb::ROFLMAO:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have a 2008 650 Trigano tribute and it's absolutly fantastic, We traded a 2005 VW coachbuilt Auto sleeper Gatcolmbe, and we don't regret it one bit. She drives brilliantly, has cruise control and loads of things that you would only expect in a camper £8-10,000 dearer.

John.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
one year old 14000 miles on clock . fantastic going forward .only a slight judder sometimes.
looking at new vans this week .know of all the problems out there with these vans thanks to forums but will be changing soon and yes it will be a 2.3 6 speed .fiat .
i no that some people will think we are mad .but they were saying that in2006 .
been offered good px money to change . looking at panel vans .

midlander9

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Dudley West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Five
2.3 What Problems

Hi all, we have a Fiat 2.3 and just love it, 8500 miles on the clock and motor`s along as sweet as a nut, old style Ducato cab, 06 model for some reason, suspect its me, did`nt like the new shape cab, just returned from a week in north Devon and she motored up and down the motorway at a steady 68-73 no trouble whatsoever, as for hills, well I think its all down to using the gears while the revs are up to keep a steady pace with other traffic, anyway just my thoughts on the subject.

Mike and Pearl

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Never driven one.

BUT.............all this talk of 'judder', 'cooked clutches' just from reversing, and even worse still a clutch replacement at 11k miles???:whatthe: That would give me serious cause for concern, even with a warranty. Sorry but that simply should not happen in any modern day vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back