Cooling Ideas (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
With the heatwave upon us and getting ready for France, I bought three fans..

The first one is mounted in our transverse 'bedspace' ..
a 6" 12v all metal two speed fan from Road Pro.

20150630_104341.jpg

The second is a 9" 230v desk fan that can also be run off our small inverter..

20150630_104355.jpg

The third is a clip on battery powered, takes 4 x AA or can plug into a USB port on a puter .. it comes with a 230v adapter. both of these from B & Q...
20150630_104404.jpg

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Has anybody any experience of the Transcool air con unit?
We've been thinking of buying one but would like to know from those who have bought and used one whether they are any good or worth the money.
image.jpg

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We will just make do with finding shady places . When we left home husband totally vetoed bringing a fan ...takes up too much space he said . We are sitting under a lovely shade tree at the moment and I dread thinking of leaving here tomorrow . My tip for keeping cool is taking a cold pack out of the freezer and holding it on pulse points on your wrists thus cooling the blood . I think it works
and it also helps on insect bites .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@Scattycat
No experience, but I guess it depends on your expectations how effective it is..
It won't cool down a large van.. but maybe help if blowing directly onto you..

Some years ago we were travelling to Spain in a car with no a/c .. and it was baking hot.. with windows open it felt like a blast furnace blowing in...
We found a good way to keep cool was to put a wet bandanna on your head.. and spray with water to keep it wet.. works well..

Also wet towels on the back of the seats .. (y)

Spraying water over your face and neck keeps you cool ..

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Make sure that the big windows are shaded. The cab windows are best covered with a proper external windscreen cover, either a full winter or a summer mesh one. The side windows can be left open if you cover the outside with something to shade them. I made side window covers from silvered car windscreen covers from the Poundshop. You can either sew on tapes or use clothes pegs to keep them in place.

Don' t forget the rooflight too: again, better done from outside as you can then leave them open. We put an umbrella up through the big central one and open it so it shades the open hatch and directs any breeze into the open hatch. You might need to tie the handle of the umbrella to the hatch handle though !

All this makes a lot of difference to the internal temperature so making it easier to sleep.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
parking in the shade generally means no sat TV so we tend to park by water, that always creates a draught

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
parking in the shade generally means no sat TV so we tend to park by water, that always creates a draught

We have a mobile satdish so we can be in the shade when the dish is in the sun . Husband has got very good at finding the signal over the years .

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Drink copious amounts of booze so you are unconscious for at least 8 hours, or install air-conditioning if on EHU. I have a dometic unit which works well on EHU.

I also have a rule on the MH that no one is allowed to complain of being to hot.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
put external silver screens on the cab and open the driver and passenger window. the reflection of the sun causes convection and draws some heat from the van plus you benefit from the breeze

hang your wet towel from morning shower below an open sunroof. the evaporation cools the van. same as putting a wet towel on top of a dog crate(cage) keeps the inside cooler. arabs have been using this method for thousands of years

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
As someone who only uses campsites as a last resort if no Areas, parkings or safe, quiet wild camping spots are available, I've often wondered why no-one has come up with a gas-powered A/C system. The fridge/freezer works best on gas, and obviously without EHU, so why can't an A/C unit do the same, with the cooling fan running on 12V? Just a thought!
I'm in the process of installing Brunner fridge cooling fans (thanks for the pics Andy) to cope with this heatwave, currently 35C in the shade and rising.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As someone who only uses campsites as a last resort if no Areas, parkings or safe, quiet wild camping spots are available, I've often wondered why no-one has come up with a gas-powered A/C system. The fridge/freezer works best on gas, and obviously without EHU, so why can't an A/C unit do the same, with the cooling fan running on 12V? Just a thought!

It would be nice wouldn't it. I'd buy one!

I don't know the answer as to why not for sure but as a guess I would say that the issue would be getting a big enough 12v fan that's efficient enough to not draw very much power.

The fan in a blown air heating system is an example. That's 12v but wipes out batteries pretty quickly.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
These are very good and don't take take up much space: Broken Link Removed

Not easy to get over here, but very quite and the 2 D cell batteries are reputed to last for 40hrs continuous use.

Blowing on me now.

Brian

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
These are very good and take take up much space: Broken Link Removed

They also do a Misting fan not seen before, seems like a great idea.

Broken Link Removed

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I'm surprised no- one has mentioned the 12v Endless Breeze fans: expensive but excellent. From our experience in Morocco and in Spain in August, they are very effective and can be left on day and night without flattening the leisure battery.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Has anybody any experience of the Transcool air con unit?
We've been thinking of buying one but would like to know from those who have bought and used one whether they are any good or worth the money.
View attachment 68098
They are an evaporative air cooler, they are better in low humidity. You can buy relatively cheap 240v evaporative air coolers and run them on a small inverter, they dont use much power as they dont have a compressor

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Someone on the 'net suggested a good way to cool down was to put your sheets in the freezer. Really? Obviously not written by someone who EVER changed sheets on a bed. By the time I'd got the sheets back on they'd be hot again!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You could try a 'Chillo' - like a flat pillow recommended for those suffering from hot flushes but can be used equally well by others to keep cool at night ... also ideal for the dog's bed to keep them cool too.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I've often wondered why no-one has come up with a gas-powered A/C system. The fridge/freezer works best on gas, and obviously without EHU, so why can't an A/C unit do the same, with the cooling fan running on 12V? Just a thought!
Well years ago "swamp" coolers were popular water is pumped into a evaporation dish on the roof. worked quite well but hard to keep clean

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
We are in mid France - it's very hot!
I am finding that a combination of cold beer and our roof mounted air con works very well.
The air con is chilling the van to 10 degrees, the beer is a little cooler.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Another vote for the Endless Breeze, takes up little space when stored, quiet and very effective. Bite the bullet and buy one!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
They are an evaporative air cooler, they are better in low humidity. You can buy relatively cheap 240v evaporative air coolers and run them on a small inverter, they dont use much power as they dont have a compressor
Thanks, any suggestions on what is the better make?
One thing that impressed me about the Transcool was the size and low power consumption.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm in the process of installing Brunner fridge cooling fans (thanks for the pics Andy) to cope with this heatwave, currently 35C in the shade and rising.
It could be done but I suspect the gas consumption would be a tad eye-watering! Your gas powered fridge cools a cubic foot or two of well insulated volume. Now scale that up for the size of a MH. A non-starter I fear.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks, any suggestions on what is the better make?
One thing that impressed me about the Transcool was the size and low power consumption.
I'm not trying to put you off, by all means try one but from what I suspect they cost this could be an expensive mistake.

I've sat in a conference in London during a heatwave with an industrial evaporative cooler running and any cooling it provided was illusory I think. They work to some degree when humidity is low, but are ineffective when humidity is above around 50%, which is when you need cooling! Google "do evaporative coolers work" for more background but avoid the sites from manufacturers. :)

There was a programming on the radio today about heatstroke and the advice was to sit in moving air - or in other words just get a big fan.

I would avoid full-on air conditioning if you can. Apart from being noisy you will never acclimatise and I speak as someone who has lived in Kuwait and Belize so I've experienced a few extremes of temperature and humidity.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Anyone tried this Fiamma fan.. that can be mounted in a roof light or free standing.. at £47.75 almost half the price of an Endless breeze..

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-R...-caravans-and-motorhomes/Fiamma-Turbo-Kit-Fan

@ScotJimland

Yep we have one(y) bought from Johns Cross Last year, served us well the last few weeks in France, we just use it as a stand alone (using the supplied 12v lead) so it can be stood in various places about the van, recommended as I'm not sure my OH would have survived without it. you would need a to put a different plug on to fit your 12v sockets though Jim(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back