Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Folks
My rv is a LHD and there are a number of instances where I can not see to the right. Particularley when entering or leaving a roundabout. I normally have SWMBO but had a bum twitching incident the other week when I had to enter a roundabout from a slip road totally blind to my right.

Others must have the same problem. What do you do?.

Cheers
Jim
:Smile:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
'Hog' the road, or more specifically possition one's self such that I can see, usually by taking up more lane space, or even the wrong lane possitioning, than I would normally in a RHD. Even RHD vans and trucks sometimes have to to see properly at some junctions.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I leave all the blinds open on the sides so I can see whats coming ::bigsmile:

Or you could fit a camera if the above doesn't suit ;)

Boo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim

I think it's a bigger problem for C class vans, A class generally have a better view to the right through the side windows, that said there are still blind spots..
I don't find it a so much of a problem on roundabouts, on T junctions I try to keep as straight as possible, turning only at the last possible moment as I move off.. but much depends on the width of road and the prevailing traffic conditions whether this is possible or not..

I know Olley has a side view camera .. no doubt he will be telling us all about it .. :roflmto: but I don't trust camera views..

As a last resort I ask Jan.. but I'd rather stand up and have a look for myself.. :winky:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Cos your a control freak Jim :ROFLMAO:

Didn't realise it was a C class................I fitted a mirror to the left hand side inside windscreen and positioned it so I could see through the passenger window................worked for me :thumb:

Try it :Smile:

Boo

Hymer

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

get one of the stick on Fresnel Lenses - a thin plastic sheet with corrugations, often sold as a reversing aid - and stick it on the passenger window at the top right hand side as viewed from the drivers seat.

Alan

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
What Dogey said! :Smile: Always position yourself so that you can see or complete a move safely, even if it means taking up more road. Mate of mine drives a 38 tonner, his advice was the same.

Mick

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
i can only go along with the others.
road positioning is a must. take up both lanes if needed.

or heres an idea which ive just thought of.
in my rv i have a forward facing camera mounted in the top right of my winscreen, it connects to my reversing camera monitor.
it comes in handy if you are on your own and have to overtake a bus/truck parked on the side of the road on a single carriageway, and you cant see past.
well all you have to do is fit one that looks to the right out of your side window and connect to you reversing monitor.(if you have one that is).mount in on the far side dash and angle it towards the side window, just a thought.

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

When I did my re-take, (another story) HGV. the instuctors where allways telling us the trick was to "command the road". If you don,t you finnish up having to perpetually give way, usually because you are "blind" in some position. Not to say you shouldn't some times or that you continually "cut people up", but by comanding the road especially at junctions you can be more sure that your "blind spots" are NOT filled with "dickheads" with a Suicide wish. and being "square" to your exit gives most vision in both directions, even if your temporarily "hogging" both lanes. the biggest problem is getting sight where the roads meet at an acute angle.

Pete

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i found that even when using both lanes those pesky car drivers would still squeeze up alongside even if they had to get 2 wheels off the hard stuff.

so with this van i've got a rearview camera and a camera mounted on the dash that looks through the passenger window. i just have to press the selector switch on the monitor to change camera.

it is no good for judging speed so it's a question of go when there is nothing in view.

it works for me

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
it is no good for judging speed so it's a question of go when there is nothing in view.

it works for me

Hi thats how I use mine, its an aid, not a replacement for your mirrors.

Olley

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
standard side view cameras no good at junctions, as they point backwards, not at right angles. i have the voyager system - fabulous for checking blind spots. previous posters are quite right - planning your position at a junction is everything. that's why you have to approach junctions more slowly in a large vehicle. easy to have same problem in rhd at an angled junction. even with the best planning, sometimes you just can't see as the road isn't wide enough to position for good view.

des

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thanks for all the advice guys. Jim is right it is really only a problem with the class c, its just the way they are built

I do use all of the road at junctions, stop short of the junction and stay square on to the junction but there are few junctions mainly at roundabouts were the angle is so acute that you just can not see, it isnt often.

I have the blinds up on the offside windows.

I have a frosted window in my habitation door which doent help and so I think I will take that out and put in something clear.

I have been thinking about a mirror system but not on the inside, I cant see how this would work. If I cant see to the right a mirror inside woudnt be able to either.

Havent given any thought to a camera but thats now on the ideas list.

Thanks Again Chaps

Jim

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
I have found that this is a bigger pain than I thought when I bought my LHD Fiat.

It has cause me some problems when I forget to come square on to roundabouts especially when I am on my own.

The other problem I have is as I approach the junction I need to lean further forward to see to the right and if I do this too quickly the seat bellt locks.

Derek

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
standard side view cameras no good at junctions, as they point backwards, not at right angles.

des

Hi Des that's not quite true, the one I bought has a decent field of view, but was let down by a poor housing design which prevented the lens from being adjusted enough, so that half the field wasn't filled with a view of the side of your van rather than the road.

After attacking it with a file I was able to adjust it ::bigsmile: so that it only just; shows the side of the van, and out to almost 90 degrees.

Olley

Last edited:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Try stopping back a bit from the junction. That way you will be able to see more of the road on the right. And of course if you are square on to the junction this makes it even better.

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
Try stopping back a bit from the junction. That way you will be able to see more of the road on the right. And of course if you are square on to the junction this makes it even better.

The problem is sometimes I only remember I am driving a LHD vehicle when I come to check what is coming. By then I am too near the give way line. Doesn't happen often as I just get my wife to check but it the odd ocassion when I am on my own that is the problem.

Derek

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi spacerunner, I do that. its where the junction is very, very, acute. You almost have to look to the right hand side and rear for a good view.

I can twist my head around and back which is no mean feat but only see the inside of my van.

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back