Omg We've Only Gone And Done It!!!! (1 Viewer)

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
Just got home from Stafford Showground where we took a huge plunge and ordered a Swift Bolero Black Edition 712sb.:whatthe::whatthe:

Can't wait until it's on our driveway and ready to go (in about 10 days we're told).

We hired a motorhome for a week years ago, and toured Scotland. We loved the feeling of freedom that it gave us and have thought about owning one on and off since then. Although we have visited lots of shows and dealers, it has taken us around 10 years in total to actually do it. I should mention that we did buy/own a static caravan in the meantime because the kids were with us and we thought a motorhome might be a bit cramped.....but the freedom of a motorhome was always on our minds. It only took a few short years for us to get a bit bored with being stuck in one place with the static so it had to go. Now we go away without the kids, a motorhome fits the bill so we are ready for the big adventure (gulp!!!)

We have two small dogs (bichon frise and chihuahua) who will be coming with us when we are in UK. We are also planning on touring parts of Europe (France to start with) but haven't decided whether we will take the dogs with us yet, perhaps when we are a bit more experienced.

Hopefully the more experienced amongst you will give me some valuable tips on motorhoming with dogs? Plus any other good advice from seasoned travellers would be much appreciated too.....

Jacky

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
welcome to the forum and good luck with the swift. Be sure to video the hand over or you will forget how to do the simplest things.

Upvote 0

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Hi

Welcome from us from not too far away, missed the Stafford show even though it's only up the road

Enjoy your new toy and way of life. The dogs will love it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hello :welc:

Being able to take the dogs with us was a big driving factor behind buying our first van. Don't wait, take them straight away (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Be sure to video the hand over or you will forget how to do the simplest things.
Second and third that, all seems obvious when being explained at the time, 4 weeks later some obscure button for the heating no idea what it does or when to use it.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Welcome...
I will keep a lookout for a new shiny Swift as I ride around Cannock.. :)

Cant help with dog advise but only local if you get any queries...

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there and welcome to MHF(y)
Brian & Jo

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Congrats on your new swift and your many up and coming adventures, I was at a dealer yesterday and I can feel the decision coming soon (y)

Upvote 0

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Congratulations on your new motorhome, taking the dogs abroad is very easy, get them copped if not already, then go to your vets to get the passports done, you will need to visit a vet before returning to UK where they will be wormed and checked, we take our ship tzu, Toby, he loves coming with us, tunnel is easier as you stay with them in the motorhome, have fun

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi from East Sussex and :welc:
Congratulations on taking the plunge.
I hope you enjoy your new Bolero. (y)
We have ordered the smaller 684FB and should pick it up on 9th July after waiting for 6 months :Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ja63

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the welcoming messages and tips.......didn't realise Motorhomers were such a friendly bunch! (Or is it only MotorhomeFun'ers?)

Been really busy out buying all our bits and pieces. Determined not to buy loads of tatt and gadgets that we think we can't survive without......like we did with our static caravan.

We pick our mh up on 11th July....one week and counting! Really can't wait, we are actually quite nervous about it. We are certain that buying a mh is right for us but such a huge decision about which one to buy so I hope we have made the right choice. We broke our first 'golden rule' by buying a new one when we were adamant we would buy used, just in case we bought the wrong layout or whatever. I tried to hire one of our chosen layout but found it really difficult to find one that was available (and we've ended up with a slightly different layout anyway so it would've been a waste of time).

Got the insurance sorted....only £275 which I was amazed by....I was banking on £600 or so!

We are planning a night out on the night of the pick up, after driving home from the dealers, loading it up, then setting off, just somewhere local to try it out. I've joined Britstops and have noted a few sites where we will definitely be going over the next few weeks and months. Will probably joined the CCC but need to research it a bit first.

Hope to see some of you on the road......we might even be knocking on your door when we realise we have forgotten something critical!!

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome from a cooling Yorkshire. A good idea to camp local for your first night after the pick up. I have just rejoined the CCC as they allow you, for a small fee, to use their sites to dump waste and take on fresh water without the need to stay, the other lot don't.

Have fun.

Norman.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley: Know the feeling :smiley: bought our Black Edition Swift Bolero 684 in January and are very happy with it, hope you enjoy your new toy too :smiley: happy travels :smiley:

Upvote 0

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi from Dorset Pam and Nigel don't forget to wave when you are on the road :hi:

Upvote 0

Gin Palace

Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
:smiley: Know the feeling :smiley: bought our Black Edition Swift Bolero 684 in January and are very happy with it, hope you enjoy your new toy too :smiley: happy travels :smiley:
Good to hear you are happy with your bolero we finally collect ours this week after an 8 mth nail biting wait! My husband is from the Isle of Wight we are hoping to return with the new MH soon

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ja63

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
Hello again...

We weren't able to pick up our Moho on the 11th as planned. We pick it up this Saturday (18th)

We wanted to book a one night stay to test it out and I am surprised at how difficult it was to book. We haven't got an inverter fitted yet so I wanted somewhere with hook-up, dog friendly and within an hour or two of home. Everywhere seems to be booked up and we aren't even in the school holidays just yet! Finally managed to bag ourselves a night at Woodlands Caravan Park, Ashbourne which looks lovely so we're really looking forward to it.

Then I thought about the story on this forums front page that says that sales of Motorhomes has gone up by 26% and I'm thinking that maybe the number of sites and pitches isn't really keeping pace with this growing industry.

A big concern then is that if we are out touring, we won't be able to be as spontaneous as hoped because sites need to be booked well in advance. This would take a lot of the freedom out of motorhoming......so I'm hoping some of you can reassure me that it's not too difficult to get onto sites if you just turn up?

Two years ago when touring France by car, we couldn't find a hotel for one night. We must've stopped at about 10 to ask but they were all full. 9.30pm, we started to think we would be sleeping in the car, so we decided to stop for something to eat and use wifi to find a room. Found one available room about an hour away in a chateau....way over our usual budget but in desperation we had to say yes. When we arrived (11pm!) they showed us up to our room and it was the round tower room with a little balcony all the way round the top outside. The bed was about 8 feet square and the room was like a suite with a lounge area as well. All worked out beautifully in the end but I remember the panicky feeling of having nowhere to stop!

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Ja63,

The best part of being spontaneous and having the freedom you seek is the fact that you don't really need sites (y)
My apologies should you really need sites for health reasons or similar :(

Norman.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Welcome :)

We are in the school holidays now, Scotland for the last coupke of weeks and England most schools finish this week. My 14 year old has finished for the summer. So i could only imagine its a quick getaway for loads of families. I think out of school holidays sites are not full unless there is a special event on.

Upvote 0

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
If you're in either/both of the 2 main clubs, try their Certificated Location/Site networks. We're heading down to the Chunnel from 13th August and got places quite easily, plus a couple of nights at the C&CC Canterbury site.
(Then it's over to Le Continent, where you really can just go where you please and not worry about booking).
Enjoy your Swift, we started 2 years ago and it's been brilliant.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back