Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
If Greece decides to default on its debt's and leaves the Euro will the Euro notes issued by them cease to be legal currency? If you have any I suggest you change them PDQ. You can tell by the letter at the start of the number which is Y on their notes.:cry:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
If that was the case the whole Euro setup is finished. I agree scaremongering.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Not going to happen.

If it did the Euro would collapse, as it would indicate to the world, that note's value would be different, depending on which country issued it.

I have in my possession 100 x €50 notes, and not one of them has a Y on it.

:cooler:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Actually Portland have a point, we sailed over in Greece for years, Corfu being not too far from the Italian coastline was a couple of days sailing away yet when the first hint of Greece being in financial difficulties started a few people experienced the Greek euro not being accepted in Italy.

So perhaps not scaremongering at all.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Actually Portland have a point, we sailed over in Greece for years, Corfu being not too far from the Italian coastline was a couple of days sailing away yet when the first hint of Greece being in financial difficulties started a few people experienced the Greek euro not being accepted in Italy.

So perhaps not scaremongering at all.
Or perhaps the folk on the street had been told the same tale by the man down the pub? Take it to ANY European bank and they will accept it.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Is it right to think that the closer Greece gets to a default situation the weaker the Euro will become?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Perhaps I am being very pessimistic ,BUT BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY!!

Or better to perpetuate an urban myth / scaremonger! There is nothing unsafe in euros issued by any country remaining a valid currency - apart from them being worth less - but that will be the same regardless of the issuing country.

To state otherwise regarding euros from specific issuing states loosing status as legal tender shows a lack of understanding of the fundamental principals of currencies. If that's your position I would suggest you get shot of any dollars and sterling and buy gold.... but you might get some funny looks when you do your weekly shopping.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is it right to think that the closer Greece gets to a default situation the weaker the Euro will become?
I suspect not, currency rates tend to anticipate future changes so the market rate today probably represents what will happen if/when they decide to leave. Take the weaker economies out of the EU and the Euro would follow the Swiss Franc and soar.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
"Thinks" I wonder if overwintering in Greece is viable.:laughing:

Not with the weather unless you go to southern Crete - which should be pleasant - but keep your eyes peeled for boatloads of immigrants!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Not going to happen.

If it did the Euro would collapse, as it would indicate to the world, that note's value would be different, depending on which country issued it.

I have in my possession 100 x €50 notes, and not one of them has a Y on it.

Was it you rummaging through my bonfire lighting stuff?

Reactions: DBK

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thats a thought

Wonder what would happen with illegal migrants going to Greece, wonder what they would do them :confused:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Anyone with (Greek) euros I am offering a special jumar rate for today only. As we live in eurozone I am offering €0.61 for any rates over €5000 but this offer must end at 2359 tonight. Exchanging Greek to Spanish only. Once in a lifetime offer for anyone buying who was born before 1912. Special conditions apply.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
If Greece do leave the EU won't that be a problem for health insurance?

I've been pretty cold in southern Crete in may!! The Lebanon sea never seems to warm up.
makrigialos loved it but never took my vest off.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
If Greece do leave the EU won't that be a problem for health insurance?

I've been pretty cold in southern Crete in may!! The Lebanon sea never seems to warm up.
makrigialos loved it but never took my vest off.

It could bring up lots of different problems, i.e. Greece would become a non EU State, (something Mr Salmond should think about) .

Of course anyone flying out there now might have difficulties getting back home, I thinking here what happens to the aircraft once it`s on the ground, i.e. servicing, refuelling etc etc.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Most planes that arrive at tourist airports in Greece don't refuel there...they leave the UK with enough fuel for the the return flight....and usually keep their engines ticking over while the returning passengers board.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
as I have said from way back when this started brewing.... if the proverbial does hit the fan which is looking more likely all the time, those in vans there should be prepared to drive home.... and for that you will need full tanks, expect lots of delays at border and lots of cash.

this week should tell...

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
:):):):):):):):):)
as I have said from way back when this started brewing.... if the proverbial does hit the fan which is looking more likely all the time, those in vans there should be prepared to drive home.... and for that you will need full tanks, expect lots of delays at border and lots of cash.

this week should tell...

Hmmmm!

As I think you know we are currently in the Southern Pelopennese and plan to be there for the rest of the Summer.

Strangely we have always planned to drive home , generally keep the fuel tank topped up and carry enough cash for emergencies...basic common sense IMHO...whether in Greece or not.

Why you think there will be unusual delays at borders I'm unsure...

The atmos on the campsite today is no different...people are coming and going as normal...there is no talk about leaving early and the owner of the campsite is not getting any cancellations.

:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@Broken Link Removed you might be fine! no one knows yet....But bank liquidity certainly in jeopardy, Tuesday should give a better indication of the situation.

If it goes belly up lots will be fleeing.....and why I suggested being prepared to drive as an alternative. Its just risk assessment? imagining the worse case, be prepared for it, and mitigate the risks..while hoping all ends well..I used to do it for a living:coffee:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Most planes that arrive at tourist airports in Greece don't refuel there...they leave the UK with enough fuel for the the return flight....and usually keep their engines ticking over while the returning passengers board.

Interesting information but It`s not uncommon for tourist planes to land at Skiathos and other Island airports Take off without refuelling but they only make a short flight to Volos and refuel there.
Reason being some aircraft can`t take off with a full load of fuel on the shorter runways.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back