Brit Stops (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Sounds an interesting idea rather like France Passion but has anyone actually used it by buying the book and staying at places recommend.

I am reluctant to pay the fee when I have no idea whether there are any stopping places in area I want to visit. There are 500 or so places but it would be nice to know where some are before committing myself.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If you enter Britstops into the search engine at the top of the pages, it will return some 9 pages of threads.
The guys who run Brit Stops are members and contribute to this forum so if you have a specific question.
To precis the debate, majority for & think its a good idea and value for money but it doesn't suit some.
Like life really :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not a member bit seriously thinking of joining, I have liked their page on Facebook to gauge comments by users and have to say it's about 99.9% positive.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
On one right now, 617 in 2015 book. Two of us here, the lady from the other couple is a folk singer, there is a folk night on, hot pot, and bar with hand pulls from local micro brewery. £12 each for the folk night tickets, free night with britstop. If we want tomorrow morning breakfasts start at 9 am. Lots of local walks, many around the britstop farm itself, dogs welcome on leads. Pub in local village about 150 yards. You won't believe this is right on the Merseyside Boundary. Buy the book, try it, what's to lose?
image.jpg

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just looked at a friends book and the number of brit stops in Scotland is rather disappointing but then again we can wild camp in most places so not the same requirements here I guess.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Buy the book the best £25 you will ever spend, have used dozens in UK never had a bad one. In Ireland now and have used a few in this years book and will be useing more in the next weeks while here. Steve from Brit Stops always replies to updates that we find. It's a god send BUY

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sounds an interesting idea rather like France Passion but has anyone actually used it by buying the book and staying at places recommend.

I am reluctant to pay the fee when I have no idea whether there are any stopping places in area I want to visit. There are 500 or so places but it would be nice to know where some are before committing myself.

Agree.... The main turn off is not knowing where they are...it's a very strange set up IMO

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
But if you buy the book you do know where they are.

And waste £25 if no suitable locations..

In fact I considered buying it for house hunting on south coast until a friendly owner told me there where none in areas of interest. As I said its an odd set up and probably holds back wider sales.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
And waste £25 if no suitable locations..

In fact I considered buying it for house hunting on south coast until a friendly owner told me there where none in areas of interest. As I said its an odd set up and probably holds back wider sales.

And from Britstops point of view if they just published all the locations for free who would buy the book?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If you happen to go to any of the MH shows, Steve often has a stand where you can browse the book to see if it might be right for you.
I guess there are no certainties in life but for me, the 'gamble' was worth it - Brit Stop somewhere, 3 times in a whole year, and the book has paid for itself
[However, if you are someone who never pays anything to pitch or park up overnight, or never usually goes to a pub etc, then perhaps it's not for you].

As for wasting the money "if no suitable locations", as a newbie I find that a bit baffling.
Does everyone know exactly where they want to be going in the next 12 months?

What I've done so far [only a month] is look where I want to go and see what type of options are available inc Brit Stops.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
And from Britstops point of view if they just published all the locations for free who would buy the book?

Which means you have to buy the book on the off chance there might be a spot near where your destination might be.

I probably will invest because I think just two nights at a Britstop location it pays for itself and equates to one night at a CC or CC&C site and after that it's a saving but it is a shot in the dark.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

That is hardly my problem.. I can look on ACSI web site, decide if the books and stops right for me, buy the book and produce the card at sites. As I said originally this a very odd set up thats all

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
The main point here Mr Judge is the 'produce the card at sites'. Most of the pubs, farm shops etc in the guide would probably not be bothered at all whether or not you had the Britstops book, they just hope that you might spend a few quid with them.

If there was a list of Britstops locations you could browse without buying the book - there would be no book.

Paul

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Find myself agreeing with judge for maybe the first time, we had it two years ago, my sons got it this year so could borrow his if needed but don't think ill be bothering, it cost us a fortune in meals and drinks, never mind the £25. I know you are supposed to not be obliged to buy anything but thats not our style.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
We have bought the book twice, good idea but has cost me a lot of money due to my inability to enter a pub without trying a few delicacy's. As I said if you use it its worth it. We have also just rocked up at a pub had a bite to eat and asked to stay in car park which has always been yes.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Can't access the Britstops group page - is there a problem?

Brian

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That is hardly my problem.. I can look on ACSI web site, decide if the books and stops right for me, buy the book and produce the card at sites. As I said originally this a very odd set up thats all

The main point here Mr Judge is the 'produce the card at sites'. Most of the pubs, farm shops etc in the guide would probably not be bothered at all whether or not you had the Britstops book, they just hope that you might spend a few quid with them.

If there was a list of Britstops locations you could browse without buying the book - there would be no book.

Paul

And that's the problem, and is why a freely available list of locations won't work. None of the sites pay anything to be in the book so they have nothing invested in it. It doesn't matter to them if you have a current membership or not, they just want you to spend some money with them.

The only income Britstops make is from people buying the book, if there was a way for people to dodge buying it then there would be no point in them continuing with the scheme and it would disappear.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
And that's the problem, and is why a freely available list of locations won't work. None of the sites pay anything to be in the book so they have nothing invested in it. It doesn't matter to them if you have a current membership or not, they just want you to spend some money with them.

The only income Britstops make is from people buying the book, if there was a way for people to dodge buying it then there would be no point in them continuing with the scheme and it would disappear.

and exactly how France Passion works.. (y)

we have planned a trip round Wales later this summer and will use several BS locations as night stops..

I love Britsops and it has huge potential , but what I would like to see is a phone app with an annual subscription.. same as Campercontact..

books are so yesterday.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I love Britsops and it has huge potential , but what I would like to see is a phone app with an annual subscription.. same as Campercontact..

This comes up quite often on the FB group. People also suggest producing it in CD or similar format, or making it available online. I guess the cost involved, especially in multi platform app development, and the admin involved in trying to make sure only paid members get access are the big stumbling blocks. I'm sure that Steve @BritStops has thought about this before.

Personally I would quite like an app as well but I'm happy with the book instead (y)

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well - we'd like a bit of a 'clue' - so eg Warwickshire, 26 sites; Lanarkshire, 0 - or at least something. You usually say 'Perhaps we'll go to (a general area) - eg N Wales or the E coast' or wherever, when deciding to go somewhere 'next week' - don't you? Same as you do with 'All the Aires' or the CC/C&CC.

We joined France Passion in 2009 - used one site on the Ile d'Oleron and it was OK but the following morning the woman in the shop examined the Membership cards with great suspicion and entered all details in a ruddy Ledger - which we were required to sign - another lady from another van which also stayed the previous night was in there the same time - a vineyard - and the shop lady glared at us so hard all the time we were in there as if we were going to rob her, when we were both just being polite and browsing, as you do - that we both exchanged meaningful glances and left immediately.

Consequently we have never ever bothered since. Far nicer places to stay!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I guess the cost involved, especially in multi platform app development, and the admin involved in trying to make sure only paid members get access are the big stumbling blocks. I'm sure that Steve @BritStops has thought about this before.

yes, I appreciate that.. perhaps when it has outgrown book format and become to cumbersome Steve may sell it to a company with the necessary finances to develop the app ... maybe not..

Another great campsite book that went by the wayside was Dick and Mo's ..The BigPitch Guide.. for RVers .. he eventually sold it but the buyer never developed it and it's now defunct.. some history here http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/big-pitch-guide-now-defunct.80637/

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, I was working on Groups early this morning upgrading some functionality, however I'm getting server errors when I try and rebuild permissions. I can't find out why its falling over and I've got someone booked to look at it for me. Hopefully get it sorted by tomorrow.

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
We use it extensively for overnight stops on our way up and down the country. Also for bases around places or people we are visiting - Yorkshire especially. Our daughter hasn't the room to put us up in Leeds, but there are Britstop options, which is great for us.

Club and commercial sites are stupidly expensive for overnight stops in England and this is a very good contribution to the gaiety of nations. It way not have the thousands of stops, but it's a very good start.

Long may it thrive.

Dave

Jkarchibald

Free Member
Sep 24, 2012
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amundsen 540D
Exp
Count me in - have just ordered my book. At £30 (with postage) I felt it only needs to be used once or twice to recoup the outlay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back